Fuzebox install - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Default Fuzebox install

Looking for a spot to install the Fuzebox for accessory power. It won't fit anywhere under the seat, so I found a spot on the right side under the fairing which houses the actuator for the panner locks.

There's a nice flat spot to use double sided tape and I was able to get a zip tie through the base plate.

Tapped switched power from the top box plug.

The one thing I had be careful of was the seat bumper to wire clearance. Here's a picture showing the wires routed around the bumper.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
GM
Administrator

Looks good! I was doing some testing yesterday and was disappointed I couldn't fit it under the seat. In the location above, it does get wet. I found the inside of those covers covered in road dirt.

The switched power wire from the top case harness is the Red with black stripe.

Thanks for the pictorial!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #3

Being really ignorant about electrical stuff, this might be a dumb question..

But why install a fuzebox and then take switched power from what might be a circuit designed for a lightbulb kind of load - I am guessing the topbox isn't designed for heavy duty power?

I would have thought the Canbus system would complain if you add a couple of things to your fuzebox.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
Being really ignorant about electrical stuff, this might be a dumb question..

But why install a fuzebox and then take switched power from what might be a circuit designed for a lightbulb kind of load - I am guessing the topbox isn't designed for heavy duty power?

I would have thought the Canbus system would complain if you add a couple of things to your fuzebox.
He's just using the light signal to close the contacts on a relay to provide switched power. The main power lead goes straight to the battery.

My question is how hard will it be to replace a fuse on the road if you need to?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #5

Thanks - that certainly makes sense!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
My question is how hard will it be to replace a fuse on the road if you need to?
Three screws. Under the seat would have been the most accessible, but there is nowhere under the seat for it to fit. This was the second most accessible.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
GM
Administrator

If you don't use the cover for the Fuzebox, it will fit under the cross bar behind the battery. I tried it.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Sorry About the ignorance! But what is a "fuzebox" and what it's utility? Again sorry, but ....
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #9

This unit can be buried and not have to worry about changing fuses.
Aerostich Power Distribution Module :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
GM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by namorado View Post
Sorry About the ignorance! But what is a "fuzebox" and what it's utility? Again sorry, but ....

It permits you to plug in all your electrical accessories without cutting into the bike's wiring harness and has a built in relay to shut power off when the power to the bike is turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement