K1600GTL: Russell Day Long Saddle pictorial - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
GM
Administrator

Default K1600GTL: Russell Day Long Saddle pictorial

Over the years I have tried a variety of custom built seats trying to find a seat that is truly comfortable for all day riding. I've heard a lot about Russell Day Long seats and in desperation after riding from Spokane, WA to Toronto, ON with my half my butt on the seat and the other half hanging in the air to gain some relief, I tried Russell Day Long. Wow! This is it! Day Long seats are exactly that... I've spent many long days in the saddle without squirming or sore butt. I've routinely done 12 to 14 hours in a Russell seat. I find my posture on bikes with an upright seating isn't very good, I tend to slouch and this earns me a sore back by day's end. The Russell Day Long backrest helps alleviate this problem by giving me a comfortable backrest to lean on.

In the photos below, the backrest was removed from my other bike's Russell seat, so it's not yet adjusted for this bike. The backrest pad can be raised and lowered and the backrest's tilt angle can be adjusted fore and aft.

Note the lack of "wings" on the passenger seat, in order to not interfere with the passenger grab handles. The passenger seat is, however, plenty comfortable and I found sitting on it - with my full riding gear - that my back was directly against the GTL's backrest.

As soon as I sat on the seat, the seat felt right. With the Russell Day Long seat, I had to get used to the upper thigh support "wings" digging into the back of my thigh when stopped in traffic. On the GTL, this issue is greatly reduced because of the lower overall height of the seat.

Passenger seat:

There is an additional spacer that is installed in the lower slot which adjusts the angle of the seat. I have not yet installed this spacer. The RDL backrest is easily removable without tools.

For taller riders, there's certainly plenty of room to build the seat much higher and reduce the gap between the passenger and rider.

Notice how the Russell Day Long seat builder left a gap between the passenger grab rail and the seat, compare this to the stock seat below it:

Stock seat:

My son says the seat is very comfy and the backrest doesn't interfere which his seating position and don't come close to the boys.

Yours truly with my 30" inseam flat footing it on both sides:

Russell Day Long Saddle: My heel is raised about 1 cm off the ground. (1/4"?) on both sides. Notice how my butt is slid forward to my legs can reach the ground without getting hung up on the seat "wings". It's not a conscious effort, it happens when I put my feet down. I usually only put one foot down anyway.

Stock low seat: My heel is flat to the ground on both sides.

Russell right side:

Stock seat:

Russell Day Long:

Stock seat:

The seat is definitely taller than the stock seat, by around an inch, my guess.

The quality of the construction is tops. If there's one "flaw" it would be a slight gap between the seat material and the heater switch.

RDL:

Stock seat:

I also bought a lock tumbler and well get my dealer to key it for me.

I will update this thread once I've put a few thousand km's in this saddle.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the customer service and the quality of construction.

I ordered this seat as part of a group buy last fall, so that netted me a good discount. I think I paid around $520, plus $65 for the backrest bracket. I already had the backrest. You have to send RDL your stock seat for them to build you a custom seat based on your height, weight and seating preference. I opted to buy a new stock seat so I can keep my stock seat unmodified.

For me, comfort is priceless and Russell Day Long knows how to make a truly day long seat.

On my next ride, I will try the seat heat to be sure it's working properly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

gadget, I cant see any pictures.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
GM
Administrator

The website that hosts my pics is currently doing some maintenance, so the pics don't seem to be linking.. Hopefully, they'll be back online soon.

"We're having some temporary difficulties. We expect full service to resume shortly. Sorry!"
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks for posting such detailed comparison photos. When you say the seat is 1" higher, are you sure it's truly higher up, or are you merely judging the reduced ground reach? The wings can impair ground reach without the seat actually lifting you up. Does the windshield appear lower on the Russell vs the stock seat?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Magnet View Post
I find my posture on bikes with an upright seating isn't very good, I tend to slouch and this earns me a sore back by day's end. The Russell Day Long backrest helps alleviate this problem by giving me a comfortable backrest to lean on.
The slouch has to do with the seating surface not rotating the pelvis correctly, which leads to tiring of the back muscles which then have to be employed to straighten the spine. Tired back muscles then lead to a slouch. The back rest helps but mostly masks the cause of the slouch.

Mike Dennis of Oregon Aero was involved in developing the seating for modern Air Force and Navy aircraft, which due to aerial refueling, can have the pilot sitting in the seat for over twelve hours. Here is a video at a trade show, showing how just a different shaped cushion can modify the seated posture, which results in day-long comfort.

I sat through a two hour presentation with a doctor in attendance, where they painstakingly went through how the spine and pelvis should be aligned and rotated, for maximum comfort. Essentially, the seating surface has to have a concave shape with a slight downward slope from the front, and a sharper upslope 3/4 from the rear of the cushion. The result is a rotation of the pelvis which straightens the spine, reducing muscle fatigue and the inherent slouch. This is an impossible shape to reliably produce without stitching on the seating surface, which increases costs. So, most seating manufacturers avoid the shape, opting for the convex shape, which is easier to produce with a stretched surface and glue.

Russell Day-Long reproduces this shape, resulting in a very comfortable seat.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Default No pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbroubmr View Post
gadget, I cant see any pictures.
Tbroumbmr, I couldn't see any pics, either, so I changed browsers (from Chrome to Firefox) and all OK now.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #7

Got the pics now thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
GM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer View Post
Thanks for posting such detailed comparison photos. When you say the seat is 1" higher, are you sure it's truly higher up, or are you merely judging the reduced ground reach? The wings can impair ground reach without the seat actually lifting you up. Does the windshield appear lower on the Russell vs the stock seat?
I'm sitting a bit higher, no doubt, the windshield now is a bit lower than where it was with the stock seat.. I'm thinking around an inch taller.. but I can still reach the ground on both sides, which for me is a novelty after years of being on tippy toe on one foot only on my GS's.

This is my 3rd Russell Day Long seat and the personal fit can't be better. Amazing, since all they have to go by were a bunch of pics I sent them and my height, weight and inseam. I took detailed pics of the grab handles, with and without a seat, and with a passenger hand grabbing it, just to give the seat builder an impression of how close the seat comes to the grab handles. I think he/she did a better job in leaving a gap between the seat and grab handles than the stock seat. I didn't really capture that gap adequately in my pics.

p.s. like a little kid, I went and sat on the RDL seat in the garage while listening to music for half an hour and I fiddled with the backrest adjustment. Can't wait to do an all day ride on it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #9

Wow, that's a tall passenger position. It almost looks like your son is standing up with a slight knee bend. How will it be with shorter passenger legs?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
GM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
Wow, that's a tall passenger position. It almost looks like your son is standing up with a slight knee bend. How will it be with shorter passenger legs?
This was custom built for him and I.. based on his height, weight and inseam. For a shorter passenger, the seat may be built differently.

I don't really think he's sitting that much higher than the stock.. when he rode with me on the stock seat, he towered over me, and his head was clearly above mine.

Stock seat:

Russell Day Long:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement