Best heated gear experiences? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Best heated gear experiences?

Considering buying a heated undergarment, jacket or vest for a mid-layer.
Interested in others experiences.
Do I need a heated jacket? Or does a vest put out enough BTUs?
Will be used in the 38 to 48F temperature range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 12:23 PM

Garage
In the UK I have worn a long sleeved Gerbing vest (under Gortex jackets), takes the chill off, combine that with heated seat and grips and your most the way there. I would wear leggings if I were travelling for hours (and owned some). Gerbing gloves were great quality, but I had a couple of element failures (nothing worse than one cold glove) The K should easily support the amperage, though a number of reports of hunting when the bike is stationary in part due to the pulsations of the controller, and there were some reports of hill assistance dropping out, but not conclusively related.I've been out in -6C (21F)

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1100 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750

Last edited by Mole999; 03-29-2016 at 12:26 PM.
post #3 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM

I wear Warm & Safe, the Home of the Warmest Clothing in the Universe , would recommend the jacket liner over the vest. Their wireless controller works like a champ. I wore Gerbing for many years and switched to WarmNSafe when Gerbing quality went south.
Chop96, exHarley Rider and amorley like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module

post #4 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Garage
+1 on Warm & Safe heated jacket, plus their gloves. I also use their remote control.

...and if you don't think it snows in Texas, this was taken in Big Bend in 2011 when it dropped to 20 degF and snowed enough to trap us up in the basin for three days.
J-Luv likes this.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and C4 Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
PDM60 and Clearwater Ericas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals.

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold but still in the family)
post #5 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Garage
I have a Gerbings vest, but ended up getting a jacket because it works better on hot summer days with cold mornings. I don't have to wear a long sleeve shirt. Once temps get above 40, I hardly use the heat, wearing a long sleeve shirt, the heated jacket and my Klim Jacket. I carry a BMW functional underwear jacket that I use in the low 30's.

1981 R80G/S
1998 Honda XR400R
2003 R1150 GSA
2015 K1600 GTLE
post #6 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM

A lot depends on the bike it is going to be used on and your choice of riding gear. The K1600 has substantial protection and a vest will suffice for most conditions provided you have top notch riding gear. If you are riding for many hours below 40 degrees than the jacket is a better choice. If it is going along on a trip just in case it gets real cold than a vest may be a better choice and is much easier to pack. When riding in cold weather the key is to keep the wind out. The better sealed you and your gear are the less additional heat is needed to stay warm. I have taken to wearing velcro straps on my riding pants to prevent cold air from getting to my legs. They work quite well.

I have had both a jacket and a vest. I started with a vest went to a jacket and back to the vest. I find that it is rarely needed it while riding my K1600GT and my Klim Badlands gear. The heated seat and grips also helps significantly in keeping the body warm.
post #7 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Something with full sleeve liners are the way to go. If you just get a vest you're arms will get coldest. Once you get a jacket liner heated you will never look back.
Gunnert likes this.

Danny Muchmore
post #8 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 PM

+1 on Warm n' Safe; and they have a trade-in policy when yours wears out or they introduce a new version.

-pp - www.ppldma.com '16 K1600 GT 22k mi
'12 K1600 GT 19.7k mi - totaled;
'07 R1200 RT 160k mi - $old;
'00 R1150 GS 175k mi - for sale
post #9 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 PM

I bought a Warm and Safe a couple of months ago to replace my aging Gerbing. I've worn it twice and it left me cold in upper 50s temps for miles at a time both times and I have not worn it since. I've been trying to get in touch with them by phone to discuss why it is cycling on and off so much (no such problem with the Gerbings). I'm getting frustrated with them being so hard to get in touch with. Right now I'm regretting buying it.

2015 BMW K1600GT - Black Storm Metallic
2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
2016 BMW S1000r
post #10 of 54 Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbeui View Post
Considering buying a heated undergarment, jacket or vest for a mid-layer.
Interested in others experiences.
Do I need a heated jacket? Or does a vest put out enough BTUs?
Will be used in the 38 to 48F temperature range.
First year I was riding, I just layered up for winter riding - probably 4-5 layers total and was warm into the 30s. Granted I was warm, but 5 layers? a bit much... Heated gear isn't that expensive, but well worth the few hundred dollars for the warmth, comfort, and convenience.

I use the Warm&Safe Gen4 jacket liner with the Firstgear Heated Carbon gloves, and the Firsgear wireless Dual-Channel Heat Troller. Wear the Gen4 liner under an armored jacket (originally Firstgear, now Klim Apex or Badlands) and am nice and warm down into the 20s. The gloves combined with heated grips keep the hands warm, and the wireless dual-troller let me adjust the heat in the gloves and jacket independently with the only bike-side installation the power connector running up the front of the seat into the jacket liner. When the cold goes away, just tuck the wire away under the seat and it's out of the way for the next six months.

Warm&Safe with the Firstgear wireless controller - wouldn't do it any other way!

(I wouldn't just go with a vest because it doesn't give the arms any warmth - why leave those out?)

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page