First impression with BMW Navigator VI - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

First impression with BMW Navigator VI

I got the new Nav6 yesterday and did my first ride on a sunny day today.

1) Direct comparison to Nav5
- the housing is absolutely identical in size (lenght x width). Except the screen is on the same level as the frame, and the whole device is therefore a bit thinner, but not much.

After a closer look, I noticed that the frame on the right side is about 2-3mm (0.1inch) smaller than on the Nav5 (i.e. the visible screen slightly bigger). As a result, the dashboard on the K1600 covers the visible screen on the right side a little bit. That was reported by other users as well, and it seems like there is no solution for this yet, except cutting off a small piece of the dashbard plastic (maybe BMW will offer a new dash, as they did when the Nav5 with the larger screen came out). It's not a big issue IMO, because it has no impact while riding, except that the button on the right side is partly hidden and therefore more difficult to reach with gloves.

After I backup'd all the files to my PC, I deleted the unnecessary files on the device (like foreign language files, help files, Basecamp executable, etc.). The device comes with 16GB memory, of which 14 GB are usable for data. After I cleaned it up, about 7Gb remain free. That should be enough for some time.
The "hidden" technical menu is still available and offers new options. One that sounds interesting is "Number of seconds before a waypoint is skipped". I will play around with this one and other new options as soon as I have the time.

2) First ride
This morning, it was sunny, so I took it for a ride. What a difference to the Nav5. While there are still some reflections in direct sunlight, it remains visible enough under all conditions, even in 3D mode. This was the main motivation for me to switch to the Nav6, and I don't regret it.
The other features (like "avoiding major roads", "circle tour", "tour in a given timeframe" etc.) are nice gimmicks, but not really relevant for me.
I wasn't able yet to test if it finally supports GPX 1.1 format. The Nav5 had issues with waypoints in this format. I will test this on the next longer tour.

Other than that, it acts like the Nav5, the menu structure is very similar (with all the pros and cons). The by far biggest difference is the screen and the visibility in sunlight.
Meese, Rick92040, Maupen and 6 others like this.

Current: 2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive 2012 Silver BMW C650 GT
History: HD Ultra Classic CVO, HD Heritage Softail, Honda 1100 ACE, Honda Spacy 125, Suzuki XT 125, Puch Maxi
Our most frequent mistake is to believe that others think the same as we do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Thank you for your review. This will be a welcomed improvement to my Nav IV.
post #3 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 01:49 PM

Improved readability in sunlight was the info I was waiting for. I'll be getting one.
jjscsix likes this.

Ute's Chauffeur
Amici et Iter Super Omnia

post #4 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Any group buy deals going on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 Blue GTL - RDL seat. Ztechnik tall windshield. F2P. CEE bailey bag liners. Illiumworks Highway Pegs, BMW Engine Bars.
post #5 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Thank you HDBeemer for the info!

Can you please post a picture showing the right-side buttons that are partially blocked?

Other than that, it sits firmly in the Nav V cradle with no wobbling or gaps due to the thinner frame?

George
2016 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
Thank you HDBeemer for the info!

Can you please post a picture showing the right-side buttons that are partially blocked?

Other than that, it sits firmly in the Nav V cradle with no wobbling or gaps due to the thinner frame?
I'll take a picture next week when I will use it again. And yes, it sits firmly - the connection is exactly the same as with the Nav5

Current: 2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive 2012 Silver BMW C650 GT
History: HD Ultra Classic CVO, HD Heritage Softail, Honda 1100 ACE, Honda Spacy 125, Suzuki XT 125, Puch Maxi
Our most frequent mistake is to believe that others think the same as we do.
post #7 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
HDBeemer - didn't know there was a 'hidden' technical menu. How do you get to it?
Thanks
post #8 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
Improved readability in sunlight was the info I was waiting for. I'll be getting one.
Exactly. That is the only reason to trade up for me. And I will have to see it to be sure the difference is significant enough. I know it can be done because the Goldwing Nav is actually more visible in direct sunlight. You have to see it to believe it.

2015 BMW K1600GT - Black Storm Metallic
2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
2016 BMW S1000r
post #9 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 06:21 PM

I won't be one upgrading just so I can see the screen better.... My .02...

Duane
capav8r, Morgan and rikracer99 like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module
post #10 of 135 Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
I won't be one upgrading just so I can see the screen better.... My .02...

Duane
Agreed. Was hoping for more.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Morgan and rikracer99 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page