Nav 4 Problems - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Default Nav 4 Problems

Yesterday while on a 80 mile trip to get a radio problem solved I encountered a Nav 4 problem. About 20 miles into the ride I lost the map and then within 2 miles the screen turned off. When I arrived at my first destination I removed the Nav 4, no change, Removed the battery, and the Nav 4 started as normal. Rode about 2 miles and lost the Nav 4 for the rest of the trip.
When I arrived home I put the Nav 4 on the computer and the computer could not see the Nav 4. Finally after much trying everything I could think of I got a white screen and the computer recognized the Nav 4. Eventually the Nav 4 came up requesting a sync with the satellites still no maps, but I got a motorcycle symbol. Normally the motorcycle is at the bottom and stationary, this time it was spinning. Today everthing looks OK but I can not ride the bike since we just had a rain shower and a cold front come through.
Any ideas or suggestions?
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition
2010 HD FLHTPi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Sounds like a firmware issue. Do you still have the latest update? If so, try reapplying it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
USMC Veteran
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

I'd sure try doing a master reset before doing anything more drastic.

Here's how to do it.

Here's some more info about the ramifications of doing a master reset...nothing major, but possibly a PITA to get everything set again. This is from zumoforums, but I've copied since you would have to be logged in otherwise.
Quote:
Here's a compiled list that may or may not have to be reapplied after a Master Reset.

Safe mode
Screen brightness (auto, motorcycle and offline)
Master volume (auto, motorcycle and offline)
Location country
Voice selection
Motorcycle and auto icons
Motorcycle fuel monitor settings
Favorites (backup before a Master Reset)
Recently Found is cleared
Satellite acquisition information must be rescanned outdoors for 10-20 minutes
Avoidances
Keyboard Layout
Map Detail & Layout
Bluetooth
Home Location
Restore Favorites
Restore Routes
Choose displayed data fields with/without route active
All maps are selected after a reset
Windows 7 and 8.1
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I will try them after I have fully charged the Nav 4. Since we have over 2 inches of fresh snow on the ground there is not much of a rush.
2010 HD FLHTPi
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

You've probably already tried this, but I did note the below on page 43 of the manual (troubleshooting section):

The Navigator IV is locked up/frozen.
If the Navigator IV screen stops functioning, turn off the Navigator IV, and then turn on the Navigator IV. If this does not help, press the Power button and hold it for 8 seconds. Turn on the Navigator IV again. The Navigator IV should operate normally.
USMC Veteran
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

My Nav IV screen was all black a few weeks ago when I started the bike down in Dallas (I thought it was a Texan thing)

I removed the unit from the cradle and reinstalled it and it started working. Then a few days later the same thing. This time I ended up having to remove the battery and reinstalling it before everything started working. It has been fine for 2 weeks.

Please let us know what the out come is on your unit, it sounds like I may be living on borrowed time. I'll have to dig out my analog mapping devices if I leave town or I may not be able to find my way home
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #7

I have changed the battery and charged the new one. Thankfully I have 3 Garmins the Nav 4, a Zumo 220 on the Triumph and a Nuvi 500.
At this time all I have is a screen that is showing the motorcycle, READY TO NAVAGATE on top the clock. The plus and minus as well as the bottom with the heading stuck on N. If this does not change by tomorrow I will go to the dealer and see if they have a solution.
I must have a GPS by the 10th of May when I leave for the Run For The Wall. It is required in my position. Further updates tomorrow.
2010 HD FLHTPi
Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #8

I had a similar issues, it got corrupted and I had to do the hard reset and reload the maps. This was with my Nav III, the NAV IV so far has done things like hang and not do the shut down with the count down to power off (battery removal is the only fix) and decide to give the first half of direction instructions for each turn. It's a buggy little booger.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #9

The latest is that it has lost all maps except the Global North American map. I only get major highways.
2010 HD FLHTPi
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #10

I talked to the dealer today and will be taking a ride this Friday, and Saturday. If the NAV4 acts up during the ride they will replace it under warranty.
2010 HD FLHTPi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement