LED Running light wiring - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

Default LED Running light wiring

I am looking for a 12V feed (only when the engine is running the same as the headlight feed) to feed a relay for LED running lights. Any ideas if possible to get this from the fuse box or somewhere convenient?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
GM
Administrator

There's a red wire in the harness going to the top case connection socket. You could tap that wire. Or you could tap the accessory socket's wire on the right side of the bike, which will stay live for 1 minute after you turn the key off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtalex View Post
I am looking for a 12V feed (only when the engine is running the same as the headlight feed) to feed a relay for LED running lights. Any ideas if possible to get this from the fuse box or somewhere convenient?

Thanks
I installed the Clearwater Glenda running lights today and tapped one of the purple halo wires for the relay trigger. When the ignition is turned off, the power on the halo wire turns off; no delay. Either wire is under the right speaker cover.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
I installed the Clearwater Glenda running lights today and tapped one of the purple halo wires for the relay trigger. When the ignition is turned off, the power on the halo wire turns off; no delay. Either wire is under the right speaker cover.
We installed a set of Clearwater Glenda's on a 1600GTL about a week ago. Now, I SWEAR there were no purple wires in the connector under the right speaker pod. We did identify the halo light wires, but they were not purple. We also noted some weird stray voltage on those even with the ignition off. It was 11PM, so maybe were were just imagining things? How 'bout a photo of said 'purple' wires, if you get a chance?

We wound up fabricating a custom harness and ran the switched power lead back to the top case power. Our preference is to use the diag connector switched power lead, since it shuts off right when the ignition is switched off, whereas the top case power stays on for ~1 minute after the ignition is switched off.

I'd steer clear of tapping into the accessory power socket, though. If your lights (or even an accessory fuse panel) use a relay for 'switched power', because the relay *trick's* the accessory socket into 'thinking' that the BMW compatible Canbus battery charger is connected, causing the LED lights or fuse panel to stay on after the ignition is switched off, and you could well return to the bike with a dead battery.

Guess how we know this? We wound up replacing more than one customer's toasted battery on our dime, on account of this.
Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Luggage Rack Base Washers

PM us for your *PERSONAL* K1600 Discount Code to use at Rocketmoto.com

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

Thanks for all the feed back. I wired my BMW LED running lights on my R1200GS-2010 trigerring the relay from the head light 12V feed which is on ONLY when the engine is running (not when just the key is on position but when also engine is running). This way the lights can turn on when you have pushed the start and the engin is running. I got the main feed for the lights to relay direct from the battery. All works fine with the GS. Was wondering the same would work for my K1600GT getting a 12V feed for relay only when the engine is running without taking the whole headlight assembly apart. By the way I have been using a BMW charger connected directly to the battery of my GS and KGT 1600 and all works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement