GPS Navigator IV - worldwide? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Default GPS Navigator IV - worldwide?

Sorry for dumb question....I never used GPS before in my life, cars or bikes. GTL is my first ever touring bike, always rode sport and racing bikes prior to buying this one. These days I spend more time touring instead of racing and often find difficult to get to certain destination.

I am based in Thailand and want to purchase Navigator IV. Here is the dumb question: since I am unable to locate this product here in Thailand my intention is to purchase the item on-line from another country. Does it really matter if it comes from another country, will it work here? Or is it just like any jail broken cell phone that can be used with little tweaks? As I said, I have no clue about these things so please don't laugh but sure would appreciate an advice.

Lastly, what is the best place to order Navigator IV online.
Thanks in advance and ride safe!

Goran (Phuket, Thailand)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

You will just need to get the maps for Thailand. I have a house in the Philippines and have used garmin there for some time. I am not sure if Thailand is supported but if not there is aftermarket maps readily available for all of southeast Asia. Don't expect for the provincial areas to be dead on accurate but for the most part metro areas are very usable. You can use any navigator from anywhere as you will be overwriting the maps anyway.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2012 BMW K1600GTL #1111 For Sale $21,000 OBO loaded, GT exhaust, GT Bars, GT windscreen. Brand new Michelin PR3 tires.

IBA Member #54293
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks for reply dixonk. I asked my local Motorrad dealer about it and they had no clue, incredible....They offered me something for $2,000 and told them to get out of my face. Guess I will have to order one online from Sierra.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

Ya order one online and you will be fine. I paid something like 35 dollars for a map in the Philippines from an online ad. Works like a charm.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2012 BMW K1600GTL #1111 For Sale $21,000 OBO loaded, GT exhaust, GT Bars, GT windscreen. Brand new Michelin PR3 tires.

IBA Member #54293
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

If you order from BMW Countryside and use the Promo15 code you will get a 15% discount off of BMW's retail pricing.

Not sure about overseas shipping, but maybe you could call or email them for specifics.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
2up

In the for sale section of this forum, someone is selling a brand new Nav IV with a couple hundred dollar savings. I bought mine earlier today or I would have bought his.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
If you order from BMW Countryside and use the Promo15 code you will get a 15% discount off of BMW's retail pricing.

Not sure about overseas shipping, but maybe you could call or email them for specifics.
Thanks for info Meese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
In the for sale section of this forum, someone is selling a brand new Nav IV with a couple hundred dollar savings. I bought mine earlier today or I would have bought his.
I saw that. Contacted him but no reply.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #8

If you buy one from another region to yours, it will not allow Lifetime updates if you choose to subscribe and pay for them. I had a lot of trouble with a UK unit here in Australia, and never got my money back from Garmin for the subscription either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement