TechSpec Pannier/Saddlebox Covers - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Default TechSpec Pannier/Saddlebox Covers

I have now put almost 2000 miles on the TechSpec pannier covers and thought I should give my review of the product. First and foremost I will say I am not affiliated with TechSpec or have any stake in the company. I engaged them sometime ago about coming up with a solution for my bike as my panniers were looking rough from my boots, my wife's boots, and general abuse from throwing things over the back of the bike (I commute with my bike everyday).

I will start first with the company. I have been doing business with them for a few years now. They have what I feel the best looking tank protection around. They are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I have used the tank protectors/grips on 3 different bikes now and am very satisfied with the product.

Customer support is at a very high level with the company. It is very easy to call them. A human picks up the phone and then special requests are directed straight to the general manager!

Now to the product. Again I needed a solution to safeguard from the daily abuses that the panniers receive. First of all I ride with my wife almost every weekend. At 5'4" she hits the bags pretty much every time she gets on. I personally ride my motorcycle daily and every now and then I will occasionally graze the bag with my boot as well. Since I commute I usually remove my gear and drape it across the seat and panniers while I am changing and swapping my briefcase with gear in the boxes so zippers and edges are bound to catch them as well. Here is a picture of what my bags started looking like (Keep in mind this is WITH the 3M clearguard in place!)

I personally can't see myself buffing and changing out the clearguard everytime it starts looking like this. I honestly hate riding around with a scratched bike. So I called TechSpec and they said they would develop a solution for me and get it to me. After a month or so the covers arrived and I must say I am more than happy.

After 2000 miles of riding I am happy to report there are no scratches, scuffs, or blemishes on the panniers. They effectively do their jobs. My wife is very happy because she can now mount the bike without having to sweat scratching the bag. I am now able to throw my gear on top of the bike without worries. Best of all they never show scuff marks. Aesthetically I am happy with the way they look on the bike. The design flows nicely with the shape of the pannier and does not detract from the overall look of the bike. In a way it might actually add a very nice contrast to the bike.

I have taken several pictures from different angles:

Product can be found at: Welcome To The TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips

2012 BMW K1600GTL #1111 For Sale $21,000 OBO loaded, GT exhaust, GT Bars, GT windscreen. Brand new Michelin PR3 tires.

IBA Member #54293
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

I can't tell from these pictures, but do you also have the tank grips? If so, did TechSpec provide the template? I cut out my own set from a TechSpec kit for my FJR years ago and they are still doing the job.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

Yes I do. They are precut ready to use already.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

2012 BMW K1600GTL #1111 For Sale $21,000 OBO loaded, GT exhaust, GT Bars, GT windscreen. Brand new Michelin PR3 tires.

IBA Member #54293
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

I received my Pannier Protector Kit from TechSpec today and although I haven't installed it yet, I can tell I'll be very pleased. The material is much heavier (robust) than I pictured and will do the job of protecting my bags nicely as well as looking like they belong on the bike. I have virtually the same bike, same color as Dixonk so I can see what it's going to look like. It's gonna look good. I brought the bags in out of the cold today to let them warm for a couple of days before I install. The temps have been in the 30's but may get into the 50's again on Tuesday so I hope to be able to ride with them soon. Tank pads will be ordered before next season.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

I also got both the Tank Protection kit and the Pannier Protection kit as a result of the contest we recently had. They arrived yesterday about 2 days after the order was placed. It was quick! The package itself required a bit of work to open as they opened up a USPS Priority mail box and made it a flat package. The protectors were glued into the package and were a $%^& to get out BUT they were flat and showed up quickly! Since I lived in MA, and its December, I needed to get the hairdryer out to put the pads on. They fit well, they are easy to both install and remove to reposition and I like the way they look. I'm not sure when I'll get to ride with them but I'm thinking Thursday/Friday its going to be reasonable! I'll let you know more when I learn it!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtryan View Post
I also got both the Tank Protection kit and the Pannier Protection kit as a result of the contest we recently had. They arrived yesterday about 2 days after the order was placed. It was quick! The package itself required a bit of work to open as they opened up a USPS Priority mail box and made it a flat package. The protectors were glued into the package and were a $%^& to get out BUT they were flat and showed up quickly! Since I lived in MA, and its December, I needed to get the hairdryer out to put the pads on. They fit well, they are easy to both install and remove to reposition and I like the way they look. I'm not sure when I'll get to ride with them but I'm thinking Thursday/Friday its going to be reasonable! I'll let you know more when I learn it!
I guess we're a little over protective with our packaging.. Like to be safe than sorry!! Glad to hear you were able to tame the packaging and get to the goods!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

Hey Gents,

A reminded to let you know we're still offering these Saddle Box Protectors at a Special Rate for the Forum Members.. $81.00 with free Shipping within the USA, via USPS. International Orders add $15.00 for shipping.

Send a PM to me if you have any questions or interest!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

Ordered mine Thursday and they arrived Monday. Thanks for the quick service! They were shipped in a long triangular box, so it was easy to open and get to the contents. The panniers are in the family room now warming up and I hope to install the protectors tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #9

Does the left side case need this kind of protection? I'm thinking that installing only the right side protector would be sufficient - and be even less visible on my 2013 Dark Graphite case.

I guess I could ask the mfr. whether a "half" kit is available, or whether I could get two "rights" instead of both a right and a left.

My experience on RT's is that only the top of the right side case suffers from the boot scuffs.

(And what's the purpose of that screw toward the top rear of the case?)
2005 R1200GS (gone), 1973 R75/5 (long gone).

Last edited by Sailorlite; 12-18-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

I like the left side because I can rest stuff on the bag without scratching. Also a passenger can still kick the left bag getting on and off. Plus it adds symmetry.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

IBA Member #54293
Sponsored Links
Advertisement