Pairing BMW bluetooth helmets with the K1600 audio system - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #1

Default Pairing BMW bluetooth helmets with the K1600 audio system

Anybody had the same experiences as me with trying to pair bluetooth BMW helmets with the K1600 audio system? I have a BMW System 6 helmet for me and a BMW System 5 for my partner, each with the BMW communicator fitted (last week!). I also have the Nav IV and an iPhone. Even though I very carefully followed the pairing instructions in the Pairing manual, I can not get the System 5 to pair with the audio system. The audio system recognises the helmet but I can't get the helmet to par and get "unsuccessful" each time. The System 5 will pair with the System 6 but just not with the bike. I religiously swithced off the Nav IV and the iPhone while attempting to pair the System 5 with the bike. Any words of advice?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
GM
Administrator

Is the System 5 A2DP? If not, it won't pair. I tried with my Cardo Q2, which is not A2DP and it won't pair... Cardo G4 is A2DP and it does pair, but only the System 6 will pair 2 helmets.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #3

The K1600 Audio has BT 2.0
System 5 uses the WCS-1 kit I assume.

From the Pairing Manual the following info:

Audio system - helmet
Requirements

-
One BMW Motorrad communication

system with
Bluetooth 1.2 (pairing with
WCS-1 not possible), with
Bluetooth 2.0 or higher.
-

All Bluetooth-compatible

devices within range must
be switched off or their
Bluetooth function must
be deactivated (if applicable,
use the search function
of a mobile phone
or a navigation system to
check whether unknown

Bluetooth devices are visible
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

The System 5 Bluetooth that was fitted is not the WCS-1 kit and is (I am told) Bluetooth 1.2 , with Bluetooth 2.0 and A2DP!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Did you switch the system 6 off while you were pairing the system 5 with the bike?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

You could try to remove all devices and keep the BT of the devices off before pairing until the BT of the bike is searching. Not sure what is going wrong, but I expect a trial and error phase for the k1600 before things are working.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #7

Unfortunately, not only did I switch the system 6 off while I was attempting to pair the system 5 with the bike (as per the Pairing Manual) but I also removed all other devices and kept the BT of those other devices off before attempting to pair the system 5! I guess I will need to keep going with trial and error, but any other suggestions gratefully received.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago where someone was able to successfully pair something that was giving him problems after selecting the "Unpair all" function, IIRC.
IBA # 28244
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

I hope that this is still on topic.

Has anyone successfully paired a Cardo G4 (or Schuberth SRC; same animal) with the K1600 and then paired a passenger helmet with the rider helmet? BMW has a sheet with a BT compatibility table that states that (paraphrasing) although the manufacturer states that this is possible, it will not work on the K1600.

I have decided that I like the Cardo system better since it uses the 100mW standard rather than the 2.5mW standard and will actually be available in the US before my first long trip in June. The only thing, in theory, that you would lose over the BMW system is the right grip volume control and simultaneous streaming of music from the bike to the passenger helmet. However, if BMW is correct that you cannot pair a Q4 (or SRC) to the bike and then pair another helmet to the Q4 (even though the Cardo is supposed to support this function ), then that's a problem.

So, in a nutshell, has anyone tried to use two Schuberth or Cardo systems on the bike yet? Specifically, one paired to the bike and a second paired to the rider's helmet?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbwatson View Post
Unfortunately, not only did I switch the system 6 off while I was attempting to pair the system 5 with the bike (as per the Pairing Manual) but I also removed all other devices and kept the BT of those other devices off before attempting to pair the system 5! I guess I will need to keep going with trial and error, but any other suggestions gratefully received.
I had some pairing issues with my Sys 5 bluetooth a few years back, and found there are two pairing modes. If you hold the two buttons for 6-9 seconds you'll get a fast flash rate on the green light, but if you hold it for longer (12-18 seconds) that flash rate doubles and gives another pairing regime. May be of some help?

From another thread, quoting the bike manual:

Quote:
Bluetooth
Frequency range 0.02...20 kHz
Supported standards 1.2 and 2.0

Profiles A2DP, SPP

Regarding compatible headsets:

Two BMW communication systems with Bluetooth standard 2.0 are required if both rider's helmet and passenger's helmet are to be paired to the audio system. If either of the two BMW systems is using Bluetooth standard 1.2, only one helmet can be paired.
Refer to the operating instructions of your communication system for information on Bluetooth standards.

Sounds as if we have problems: I have one of each, too. What a PITA!

Last edited by Heli; 05-24-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement