Replace H7 high beam bulbs with HID. - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #1

Default Replace H7 high beam bulbs with HID.

I'm considering making my bike more visible, when really needed, by replacing the H7 high beam lights with two 50/55/70 watt HID bulbs. Why consider the 70 watt versions? Tests show that the actual power consumption is somewhat less than the rated number.

Easy changeout. It looks like there is plenty of room for the ballasts. The start-up flash will get their attention, then the full on bright light will melt their retinas.

On long lonely deer infested night rides, I will see everything ahead. Deer retinas will glow bright.

Canbus Digital HID - DistantXtremes Lighting

H7 4300K 55W SLIM DIGITAL HID KIT XENONSPLUS | eBay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

Did you replace your high beam with HID? Tried a set from 1 Off Motorsports and did not work. Can you tell me if yours works and how to get a set?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Did you replace your high beam with HID? Tried a set from 1 Off Motorsports and did not work. Can you tell me if yours works and how to get a set?
The high beams are powered by a pulsed voltage -- there was a recent post with an oscilliscope screen showing the a 0.005 second on/off square wave signal. Your relay or your ballasts won't take that as a "high beams on" signal, so HIDs no worky

The member who posted the screen shot has developed a circuit which "smooths out" the pulsed signal -- maybe his circuit would give a long-enough duration signal for triggering and holding a relay. EDIT: here's the thread:

Flash 2 Pass - Trouble in Paradise

Last edited by mneblett; 12-16-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

If you do get this to work I suggest you only change one high beam so you don't have to wait for the HID to get to full brightness when you really need it. A single 70 watt HID should still be extremely bright.

I just clicked on the OP's link and it took me to a site that has a canbus digital HID kit that appears would work without having to alter the circuit.
#168 Blue GTL

2008 Radiant Red Tundra DC Limited (supercharged)
2005 Silver S2000
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Nice find... can't wait for someone to try them and report in.

Are there any other options like simply a higher wattage plug-n-play bulb? Or would canbus say oops too much wattage being pulled and shut them down.

Mark
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Are there any other options like simply a higher wattage plug-n-play bulb? Or would canbus say oops too much wattage being pulled and shut them down.
Higher watt bulbs produce more heat which can damage the plastic light enclosure. The added wattage will damage the wiring which was sized to be just enough for the designed load.

I've learned the above lessons on another motorcycle.
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

Very interesting thread about HID here: HID comparison of DDM, JDMLighting, Volt, HID to Stock : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

If you read all the through you will see that there are changes to the products since the original test.

Here is the site for the Xenon guy: XENON EXPERT
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Default I don't think that HID is necessary on the K1600

I can't think of what you would really gain by the work! Traveling on I-75 last month, at night with an open area ahead, traveling at 80 MPH, the high beams lit up the road and I could easily stop in the area illuminated.

The K1600 puts out a lot of light and would not normally ride with the high beam on at night with lots of opposing traffic.

I needed a HID on my previous K1200LT because the stock light was not enough. Adding it made a tremendous difference, but I don't really see the need for it on the K1600.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #9

My personal feeling is that the dissatisfaction with the stock high beams is due to the sharp contrast between the color temperature of the Xenon low beam and the stock high beams. That said, you can't have too much light on the road ahead of you. This bike is not nearly as bright and full illumination as my car so I'm personally anxious to hear how RL's replacement goes on his bike. This is one of the things I'd probably do in the first round of upgrades.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

I haven't played with this idea yet. My 1st concern is about fitting the ballast.

So, this project is one that will be a someday one.

When I have opened the speaker enclosure there really wasn't much room at all. Let alone fitment of a ballast within the limitations of the lamp cord.

Kind of one of those ideas for the future.
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement