"OEM" iPad adapter cable - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 AM

I have one of the knock-off cables, it failed after 3 years and I haven't replaced it. With the Sena 20S I either listen to music from iPhone/Pandora or Sena FM. I don't use the bike's bluetooth for anything and in a future purchase would save the money and not opt for the feature on the bike.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tim View Post
XM radio is a great cure. Jmho
XM reception sucks here in the Sierras. Always losing connection on the twisties, because the tall trees, mountainsides, etc., getting in the way! Canceled the XM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeest View Post
You can also put the music on a 64G USB stick (very small) and plug it right into the USB socket in the right fairing pocket... I quit using my IPOD adapter cable right away and switched to that. No worries about space or heat or anything.. .been solid since i did it. I've not understood why people prefer the IPOD... quality off USB seemed a bit better too (volume, etc).

i have a BMW IPOD adapter cable if anyone is interested in buying it!!!

I did that for a while too, but the music volume was very low (this is all through the vaunted BMW Communicator System). I used an application to "boost" the volume on the mp3 files, but that degraded sound quality. I also didn't like the long delay when playing in "shuffle" mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeinoregon View Post
Or you could store your music on a card in the nav itself, and skip the adapter all together.
Oh... So NOW you come up with this suggestion!! Is the sound quality good on MP3 through Nav V?

Hopefully, the new cable solves the issue. I really didn't have much of a problem for a while, so I am hopeful that the official cable from the Mothership will cure it.

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148

Last edited by Hallzee; 01-10-2017 at 11:25 AM.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-04-2017, 03:57 PM

With the BMW cable, does the bike display the current song/artist? Or does it just say USB as mine does with a German knock-off cable?

This is the one I'm using, if anyone cares...

Y Lightning Cable Lead for BMW Mini iPhone 6 Amp iPhone 6 Plus | eBay

post #14 of 24 Old 02-04-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
With the BMW cable, does the bike display the current song/artist? Or does it just say USB as mine does with a German knock-off cable?

This is the one I'm using, if anyone cares...

Y Lightning Cable Lead for BMW Mini iPhone 6 Amp iPhone 6 Plus | eBay
Mine displays the song title.

BTW, no more "No USB" issues since changing to the BMW cable.

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
post #15 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 PM
PGS

I have tried both the expensive BMW cable and a cheaper Amazon cable recommended by someone on this forum. Neither works reliably. I sometimes use a USB memory stick but it does not allow selection of artists, albums, etc. If I recall correctly it lets you choose by artist only, or maybe it's album. Anyway, browsing music is not as capable as with the cable. Sounds like nobody has a great solution (although the glue sounds promising!) - it's the luck of the draw.

Does anyone know if you can pair a Bluetooth iPod to the system? That would be a good solution for me if it's possible.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 PM

Being able to read artist, song and such is a function of how the music was synced to the device, not the cable---sorry I said "not" but I should say less a function of the cable. Sometimes do you notice songs will say "unable to play" that will can come up if the file name has too many or weird characters in the title. I seem to have more trouble with reading the file names than anything. But I also refuse to use iTunes

I also use multiple USB sticks and with high outside temps it will stop reading the USB input no matter what's plugged in.

The music player on the nav unit is disabled if you are using a factory cradle so if you store music on the nav will the bike audio "find it"?

Danny Muchmore

Last edited by Muchmore; 02-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM

WOW... you've had it NOT read the USB when it gets hot? You must live in the southwest or something- and regularly deal with horrid temps. I rode through AZ in Sept during the "cool" season... and i was convinced i'd rather winter ride than ride in AZ through the summer!! It wasn't even over 100 when i rode through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmore View Post
Being able to read artist, song and such is a function of how the music was synced to the device, not the cable---sorry I said "not" but I should say less a function of the cable. Sometimes do you notice songs will say "unable to play" that will can come up if the file name has too many or weird characters in the title. I seem to have more trouble with reading the file names than anything. But I also refuse to use iTunes

I also use multiple USB sticks and with high outside temps it will stop reading the USB input no matter what's plugged in.

The music player on the nav unit is disabled if you are using a factory cradle so if you store music on the nav will the bike audio "find it"?
post #18 of 24 Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
WOW... you've had it NOT read the USB when it gets hot? You must live in the southwest or something- and regularly deal with horrid temps. I rode through AZ in Sept during the "cool" season... and i was convinced i'd rather winter ride than ride in AZ through the summer!! It wasn't even over 100 when i rode through...
I live in KC, I am convinced there is something wrong with the radio itself because I have tried 2-3 different usb devices and intermittently have trouble with the dreaded NO USB or UNABLE TO READ DEVICE.

Lot's of people have had the same trouble but it does seem like less do with iProducts attached.

Danny Muchmore
post #19 of 24 Old 02-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Wow - i'm still running my original 2012 - arrived here as number 2xx - somewhere in the mid to high two hundreds IIRC - early july of ... only once have i seen the "no usb" message - i unplugged the USB stick - put it back in - and it corrected. But that's only happened once in 50k miles on the bike. I gave up on the ipod pretty quickly. I found that if i organized my music correctly on the stick - i can choose by artist, album or listen to the entire stick alphabetically. (Oddly... i found myself on a 1k mile day from MN to Logan Utah last year - tried to listen to the music alphabetically by track.. and it started to drive me nuts... cuz i was thinking about the fact that every song title started with the same letter... there's like 50 hours of music on the stick. That's when i realized - the fact that it bothered me means i must be a sick puppy.. i need to buy another bike to see if it gets better.)
Muchmore likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
there's like 50 hours of music on the stick. That's when i realized - the fact that it bothered me means i must be a sick puppy.. i need to buy another bike to see if it gets better.)
This is no joke....I was once with a group of people so I hated to stop but somehow through my bad syncing to the device it got stuck on a single Air Supply album. I really thought about driving off an Arkansas cliff just to make it stop

If the folder structure is right on the usb drive it will give all of the right options like artist--album---song if you like thumbing through the wonder wheel. If not just put it on random (I think by holding the "mem" button?).

If you have no folder structure on the USB it will play all songs randomly..hopefully

Danny Muchmore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page