"OEM" iPad adapter cable - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

"OEM" iPad adapter cable

My iPod music would consistently stop, without warning. The dash would then say "No USB"... And then re-start again at the first song on the playlist, or simply freeze until I re-started the bike. This occurs without rhyme, nor reason (2013 GTL). Sometimes would go days without a problem, but then occur every few minutes.

I did some research, and others have reported the same problem. The supposed culprit? The "bargain" knock off adapter that I got on Amazon ($35).... SO, I bit the bullet, and paid BMW $88 for the OEM iPod adapter cord. Bastages!

I'll be able to report how it works within a couple weeks....

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallzee View Post
My iPod music would consistently stop, without warning. The dash would then say "No USB"... And then re-start again at the first song on the playlist, or simply freeze until I re-started the bike. This occurs without rhyme, nor reason (2013 GTL). Sometimes would go days without a problem, but then occur every few minutes.

I did some research, and others have reported the same problem. The supposed culprit? The "bargain" knock off adapter that I got on Amazon ($35).... SO, I bit the bullet, and paid BMW $88 for the OEM iPod adapter cord. Bastages!

I would have tried the kludge of using a rubber band, back and forth over the two parts (figure of eight) to draw them together and reduce skakeage. I did wonder how you got an IPAD in there

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
I would have tried the kludge of using a rubber band, back and forth over the two parts (figure of eight) to draw them together and reduce skakeage. I did wonder how you got an IPAD in there
Hahahaha... My "edit" was faster than your "quote"...

It's an iPOD...

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148

post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 PM
C 4

Garage
I had same problem with ebay cord factory cable fixed it.

Tim C
2016 K1600 GTL
Matte Ocean Blue
2013 K1600 GTL (gone)
Damask Red

"Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?"

Custom built side case protection/tipover bars
Get yours now, Ask me how!
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...over-bars.html
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 03:19 PM

I will occasionaly get a No USB message using the factory BMW cable and an iPod Nano.

But it's rare enough that it's only a minor inconvenience, and it restarts by itself.

My next thought is to look at the Bluetooth adapters so I can access and control my iPhone's music without having to plug the phone into the bike.

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 11:06 PM

It appears to me that the following BMW cables are identical. Can anyone confirm?

post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallzee View Post

I've had the same problem with my BMW cable too. Making sure the plugs are in tight seems to rectify it. Sometimes it just takes a little wiggle and then carefully closing the door. I've had the same iPod in the bike since day one so maybe I should just shoot some hot glue around the fittings.
Gunnert likes this.

2012 Mineral Silver GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
post #8 of 12 Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 AM

XM radio is a great cure. Jmho

Life is a journey Enjoy the Ride
post #9 of 12 Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tim View Post
XM radio is a great cure. Jmho
Or you could store your music on a card in the nav itself, and skip the adapter all together.
Boneman likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeinoregon View Post
Or you could store your music on a card in the nav itself, and skip the adapter all together.
You can also put the music on a 64G USB stick (very small) and plug it right into the USB socket in the right fairing pocket... I quit using my IPOD adapter cable right away and switched to that. No worries about space or heat or anything.. .been solid since i did it. I've not understood why people prefer the IPOD... quality off USB seemed a bit better too (volume, etc).

i have a BMW IPOD adapter cable if anyone is interested in buying it!!!

Boneman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page