SCHUBERTH C3 Helmet with SRC System UPDATE! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Default SCHUBERTH C3 Helmet with SRC System UPDATE!

BIG UPDATE!!! SRC ROCKS

As I outlined in a prior post, the SCR System has the great advantage of bike to bike communications (with 2 other bikes), vastly superior sound and better helmet wind noise reduction due to the elongated neckroll.

I also wrote of the negative aspect in with the SCR System you could only pair with specific devices at one time. Basically you could not integrate all at the same time as well as the BMW Communicator.

Go Schuberth! I went to the Schuberth website and looked up the SRC. The have a downloadable application (pc only) that provides software updates to the unit. Something the BMW Communicator is not capable of.

I downloaded and ran the update (usb to helmet) which took my SRC System from v2.2 to 3.0. I repair'd with the bike and then with the NAV IV.

Holly smokes, everything now works together, all pairs up seamlessly. I now get all BMW audio, NAV IV GPS, Phone and I can add 2 other bikes as well. I am a happy man today!

Mark

Last edited by Marcus; 11-18-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
BIG UPDATE!!! SRC ROCKS

As I outlined in a prior post, the SCR System has the great advantage of bike to bike communications (with 2 other bikes), vastly superior sound and better helmet wind noise reduction.

I also wrote of the negative aspect in with the SCR System you could only pair with specific devices at one time. Basically you could not integrate all at the same time as well as the BMW Communicator.

Go Schuberth! I went to the Schuberth website and looked up the SRC. The have a downloadable application (pc only) that provides software updates to the unit. Something the BMW Communicator is not capable of.

I downloaded and ran the update (usb to helmet) which took my SRC System from v2.2 to 3.0. I repair'd with the bike and then with the NAV IV.

Holly smokes, everything now works together, all pairs up seamlessly. I now get all BMW audio, NAV IV GPS, Phone and I can add 2 other bikes as well. I am a happy man today!

Mark
Does the update add volume control using the BMW controller? That is a feature I asked Schuberth to add.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

The Schuberth System does not increase or lower volume with the handlebar wheel controller in SCR v3.0's update. Unless a BMW bluetooth communicator is used you won't even see the volume control bars (up or down) in the display.

I don't miss that feature at all and here's why. With the Schuberth SCR (v3.0) you set the volume in the helmet side buttons. The SCR System memorizes the volume setting you made and measures the ambient noise in the helmet. As you increase or decrease speed and the noise increases or decreases accordingly, the SCR System compensates. BMW has a like feature but it's tied to bike speed and increases volume only based upon set presets 1,2 and 3.

The Schuberth also has a really cool feature in that as you set a volume for the GPS prompts, phone, BMW audio or intercom, it retains your personal preference for each of these comm channels. This is really cool so as I go from phone to audio the volumes are balanced to my liking, I don't have to jockey the volume wheel every time I change an audio source.

As far as audio quality I own both systems in CS3 helmets. The BMW Communicator sounds like a transistor radio compared to the full, rich and crazy loud if you want to audio of the SCR System.

Last edited by Marcus; 11-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

How does the intercom work, bike-to-bike, if you have tried it that way? I had the Nolan, but it was an always-open connection, so you couldn't listen to music, etc., while you were using the intercom.
IBA #50036
K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

Hi Jamie,

Just for background, the BMW Communicator handles rider to passenger intercom inside the BMW's Alpine audio unit.

The SRC has two discreet intercom channels in addition to the two bluetooth channels, just like the BMW's. You can pair with two others. Theres a button for intercom A and another for B. You pair a passenger or another bike to each. The intercom is VOX, not open channel.

The SRC System uses a set of priorities and they are smart. If I am listening to a BMW audio source like SAT and I have also paired with another bike, the intercom between riders takes priority over the audio signal. So if you talk to each other the audio goes silent. If you stop talking after a few seconds the music will return.

Taken a step further say in this same situation you get a phone call on your cell, the call will have priority if you accept it, the intercom and audio sources temporarily muted until you hang up the call.

The priorities are as follows:

1) Mobile Phone audio or GPS Instructions
2) Intercom
3) A2Dp audio source (BMW Alpine Bike Audio)
4) Built in FM radio
5) Aux corded line in port (same as charging port)

Plus you never loose a connection, say another bike pulls far ahead and you loose communication, that communication is automatically reestablished when back in range. I've lost sight of other riders completely and still can talk to them.

Mark

Last edited by Marcus; 11-18-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Mark

I have a GTL on order along with the BMW comm system. I'm impressed with your review of the SRC and I may change my order. Would you take a moment though and describe what you have paired with what? (ie: helmet to bike audio, helmet to gps, phone to gps etc) Also, could you elaborate on the difference between the quality of sound between the BMW system and the SRC.

Thanks a lot

Jack
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #7

Thanks, Marcus. You should be getting a commission from Schuberth.
LSTD Lead Instructor
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #8

Hi Jack,

Super easy and painless

Summary...
Helmet to Bike
Helmet to BMW NAV
Cellphone to BMW NAV
Bike to Bike (x2)

Step by Step...
1) Remove BMW Navigator iV from the dashboard, take to a PC or MAC and plug in a usb cable. Then just follow along as the GPS by Garmin updates it's operating firmware.

2) Similarly, go to the Schuberh Americas website and download the SRC Communicator Updater (PC only). Plug in a usb cable and follow the steps to upgrade the SCR unit to the latest version.

3) Go to the bluetooth pairing menu on the bike. Select pair helmet #1. Turn on the SCR helmet, push and hold the volume up button to pair. Success will be displayed. This connects all BMW onboard Alpine radio sources to the helmet.

4) Turn on the BMW Navigator. Go the settings/bluetooth. Press "Add" on the audio icon. Now press and hold the "Phone" button on the SRC helmet. Success is shown.

5) Finally on the Navigator press the "Phone" icon. Put your iPhone/Droid/other into bluetooth mode and search. Success your all paired up.

You are left with Intercom buttons "A" and "B" to sync with other helmets in the same method.

The SRC unit even has a button that you can press when riding if you meet up with another bluetooth helmets. One push and it finds all compatible helmets in the area. A cool feature.

In closing the SRC is an awesome unit and you will not be disappointed. But if you never want to talk bike-to-bike or you always ride with a passenger you could stay with the BMW Comm.

Believe me, once you can chat with other riders, you don't go back. We communicate a lot of safety information while riding like "I'll pass him on the right, you go left" only kidding ;-).

Enjoy

Mark

Last edited by Marcus; 11-18-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #9

Great product and a happy customer, that's how business should be done. Word of mouth. But hey Schuberth if you want to send me a check :-)

Last edited by Marcus; 11-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #10

Thanks Mark, I think I'll be changing my order.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement