Top 10 Signs Itís Time To Winterize Your Bike - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-02-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Top 10 Signs Itís Time To Winterize Your Bike

Quote:
Iíve often felt that the real reason many motorcyclists donít winterize their motorcycles is that they keep holding off in hopes to squeeze in one more ride. Although the MO Towers are located in Southern California, many of us ventured from colder climes to the Great American West in an effort to enjoy year-Ďround riding. The journalism gig is just something we managed to weasel our way into as a means of supporting our habit.

In an effort to help dedicated riders in places that have real winter, the following list contains sure-fire signals that it is time to winterize your motorcycle rather than continue riding it or letting it sit unprepared developing the mechanical manifestations of Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.
Read more about the Top 10 Signs Itís Time To Winterize Your Bike at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM

Glad I live in a place where the only days you really can't ride are days when there is ice on the road, not too many of those!!
post #3 of 23 Old 12-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Incredibly slow loading web pages...maybe its just me.

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous.
It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-02-2016, 04:29 PM

No bike should ever be winterized. There are ALWAYS days during the winter where you can get a nice ride in.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Spey, ryno23 and jthaney like this.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc11 View Post
No bike should ever be winterized. There are ALWAYS days during the winter where you can get a nice ride in.

Must not be from around here.

In Wisconsin it is RARE to find many winter days to get a NICE ride in for about 3 months or more. After the first good snow the roads are full of salt and sand. Until a good rain washes it off it just isn't worth the effort. That is why they make snowmobiles.

2 of my motorcycles were put away a couple of weeks ago and it looks like today may be the last ride on the 1600 for quite some time. 28 degrees today and I was the only motorcycle on the road. Even with a mild winter only 1 would be eligible to come out to play.

2013 BMW K1600GT
2016 BMW S1000XR White
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #6 of 23 Old 12-03-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Must not be from around here.

In Wisconsin it is RARE to find many winter days to get a NICE ride in for about 3 months or more. After the first good snow the roads are full of salt and sand. Until a good rain washes it off it just isn't worth the effort. That is why they make snowmobiles.

2 of my motorcycles were put away a couple of weeks ago and it looks like today may be the last ride on the 1600 for quite some time. 28 degrees today and I was the only motorcycle on the road. Even with a mild winter only 1 would be eligible to come out to play.
I predicted this response and I maintain THERE IS ALWAYS a day a month during winter one can ride. Sure may be cold, may be cloudy, may not be the ideal riding conditions but you could ride if you wanted too.

Or maybe I just like to ride.

post #7 of 23 Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 PM

There is always hope

Seeing I am from Florida and living in the NorthEast the lack of storing a motorcycle is just not giving in to the cold...it always wins though.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHadder View Post
Seeing I am from Florida and living in the NorthEast the lack of storing a motorcycle is just not giving in to the cold...it always wins though.
For me it's really just ice. As long as I can be sure there is no chance of black ice I will ride.

Cold is an issue of course, I really prefer to ride in temps above 20 degrees but have ridden well into the low teens. The colder the temps the slower the ride to keep the wind chill down and even more local rides with stops is enjoyable to keep the bike juices and my own flowing.

Salt is another consideration, I usually wait until we get some rain to wash road salt off the road otherwise I take the dual sport out.

My point really is, if you don't want to winterize you don't have too you can always find a day for an hour ride in most places unless you live in an area that has snow on the roads every day from December through April.

Yes those places exist but for the vast majority winterizing is a choice not a requirement.

My comment was more sarcastic, I get some people don't like to ride in the cold we all have different tolerances.

Last edited by Marc11; 12-03-2016 at 06:16 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-03-2016, 06:32 PM
smv

Garage
After the snow we just got, complete with drifts several feet deep trapping entire neighborhoods, the chance of me completing this year with a ride every month is rather slim. With inches-deep ice and packed snow for four blocks between me and the nearest clear road I would need a trailer just to leave my driveway.

Next week high temps will be single digit (įF) with a couple days not even reacing 0į. The rest of the month isn't looking so 'hot' either.

Last year I missed out on January but I rode at least one time every month for the last 22 months.

Not bad for Minot.

-Stephen!
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc11 View Post
I predicted this response and I maintain THERE IS ALWAYS a day a month during winter one can ride. Sure may be cold, may be cloudy, may not be the ideal riding conditions but you could ride if you wanted too.

Or maybe I just like to ride.

The point I took exception to was "NICE" not that it can't be done. You COULD ride quite a bit if you don't care about the conditions.

I have nothing to prove and ride for the fun of it. If I am not going to enjoy it I do not consider it a NICE ride.

I prefer to choose the best tool for the job. In the middle of winter that happens to be a snowmobile. It is WAY more fun that riding a motorcycle in crap conditions. Heck, the lakes aren't froze yet but I don't see any watercraft out for a spin. Perhaps the conditions aren't great for a NICE day on the lake.

2013 BMW K1600GT
2016 BMW S1000XR White
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page