BMW K1600 GT Breaks Solo Cannonball Motorcycle Record from LA to NYC - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Far more endurance than I can imagine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
GT Set Up??

Interesting to try & figure out Carl’s GT set up for this ride:

Sargent Seat & EM-5 Backrest ( Sargent Seats - BMW K 1600 GT / GTL World Sport Performance Seats)
Clearwater Sevina LED Lights with a Billy Brake ( https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products2_pp.html )
Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet ( C3 Pro - Schuberth )
Klim Riding Gear ( Products in Pant Non Insulated, Outerwear, Men, Motorcycle on Klim )
Metzler Z8 ( Tires for motorcycle Metzeler - Choose your best tire for track, road, touring, custom, offroad, enduro, scooter - Product Catalogue )

Best,

Doc:gm:gm
post #13 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
If you account for an average of 30 minutes per gas stop
Does it really take you an average of 30 minutes for a fuel stop? Héll, even with two fuel tanks,Tamara and I average less than 1/3 of that when we're NOT on the clock. Even faster when we're in a hurry. If all you are doing is refueling and it's taking you 30 minutes, you're taking 20 minutes too long.

-Stephen!
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.

post #14 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smv View Post
Does it really take you an average of 30 minutes for a fuel stop? Héll, even with two fuel tanks,Tamara and I average less than 1/3 of that when we're NOT on the clock. Even faster when we're in a hurry. If all you are doing is refueling and it's taking you 30 minutes, you're taking 20 minutes too long.

+1 When I am not in a hurry, it takes me 10 min.

Gary
2012 K1600GT Red #842
2013 R1200GSW
2013 HD Superglide
post #15 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM

I have an interest in such things so I've looked at Carl's ride in some detail.

He's running aux fuel, an impressive array of electronics and counter electronics, and actually used several support/spotter vehicles to help him through. Anyone remember Smokey & the Bandit?

He's basically not dropping below 100 mph for the vast majority of the ride. He'd be forced to go slower on occasion (traffic, cops, etc.), but that's an awful long time and a lot of states to get through at up to double the posted speed limit.

It's for that reason alone that I would never attempt to beat such a record. I could easily do the distance and the total time awake (have done many times before), and I could even maintain such an elevated pace, given the right conditions.

But on public roads, there's simply way too many risks to yourself, to your license, and to every other unaware road user . . .

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #16 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 08:13 PM

In LD Rally mode, I'm carrying the IBA max 11.5 gallons of fuel. That gives me a 400-500 mile range depending on overall speed and conditions. I've ridden several tank-to-tanks (figure 6-7 hours without stopping), pulled in, refueled, and been back on the road in 5-6 minutes. When in Rally mode, 10 minutes is a long fuel stop for me, including filling both tanks.

Still, the average speeds required for such a record-breaking cross-country ride easily exceed 100mph, through every state and past many towns, and right by so many cops . . .

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #17 of 62 Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 PM

Perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbeui View Post
No catheter please.

Depends?

1970 R75/5 White
1978 R100/7 Red
1952 R50/2 White
1984 R100RT Red
1994 K1100LT Red
2013 K1600GTL Red
Too many 3 & 4 wheelers & dirt bikes to remember
post #18 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
73 mph average?
. If you account for an average of 30 minutes per gas stop and substract 11 enroute gas stops (5:30)
Half an hour per stop..???? Kind of new to the whole distance riding idea aren't you?

I'm not a fast guy, but I'll knock out several +900 Mile days back to back. I only factor in 10 minutes per fuel stop. It takes 5 minutes to fuel up, 2 minutes to pay as a typical stop, giving me an actual average of 7 minutes.

I know guys who do much, much faster pit stops than me.
post #19 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 01:50 AM

I have the record for the slowest from San Diego to NY.

You admirers of this Carl speedy-Gonzales...well let me tell ya, that guy do not have what it takes to beat my record.

*Patience going through the MD belt way
*You must take a long time to pee, look around the store, buy another water bottle
*You must be willing to stay dry and sit around for two days in one place and 5 in another waiting for floods to subside in TX cause the K16 don't float.
*You would need friends in at least 3 to 4 BMW shops along the way you have to visit for absolutely no reason.

And look, I don't need to stinking spotter, nor laser tech junk. I do it old school: use the cruise control to avoid conversations with cops.

Everyone knows its easier to drive a two wheeler fast then it is to drive it slow. I bet he don't have the balance to stay next to me on the slab.

Big deal!
cdc and BMWfan like this.

...If it wasn't for a Supernova, I wouldn't even be here...
post #20 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTer View Post
I have the record for the slowest from San Diego to NY.

You admirers of this Carl speedy-Gonzales...well let me tell ya, that guy do not have what it takes to beat my record.

*Patience going through the MD belt way
*You must take a long time to pee, look around the store, buy another water bottle
*You must be willing to stay dry and sit around for two days in one place and 5 in another waiting for floods to subside in TX cause the K16 don't float.
*You would need friends in at least 3 to 4 BMW shops along the way you have to visit for absolutely no reason.

And look, I don't need to stinking spotter, nor laser tech junk. I do it old school: use the cruise control to avoid conversations with cops.

Everyone knows its easier to drive a two wheeler fast then it is to drive it slow. I bet he don't have the balance to stay next to me on the slab.

Big deal!
It might not float, but it does pretty reasonable submarine impressions. The GT can be driven under water for reasonable distance. I've had water over my feet, on the pegs, several times....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page