BMW K1600 GT Breaks Solo Cannonball Motorcycle Record from LA to NYC - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM

Garage
Next thing you know, someone is going to drag out the Jet-Ski photo of the K1600 fording a deep water hazard....

Jess & Christine(the Chauffeurs)with Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
2013 K1600-GTL, Damask Red
(Guy's ride),
2016 S1000XR, Racing Red (Grrrl's ride)
Plus a home-built trailer, and a few farkels.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 12:31 PM

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #23 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Good one Ken. So true as well.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
Son of the American Revolution

post #24 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Half an hour per stop..???? Kind of new to the whole distance riding idea aren't you?

I'm not a fast guy, but I'll knock out several +900 Mile days back to back. I only factor in 10 minutes per fuel stop. It takes 5 minutes to fuel up, 2 minutes to pay as a typical stop, giving me an actual average of 7 minutes.
Rest assured that I've done plenty of distance riding.

During your 900+ mile days, you never visit the bathroom or eat? Just 10 minutes for gas and off you go until the ride is over, eh? That's an over-simplification.

A 30-minute average is for a simple gas stop would definitely be conservative. I was simply trying to factor in the other situations where the bike was stopped. For example, if I'm going 100+ mph, I don't like to open my modular helmet and try to stuff a Big Mac down my throat; Reese ate during gas stops. That food has to go somewhere, so even with a catheter, and baring an overdose of Immodium, Reese had to take a dump at some point. Finally, I know for a fact that Reese needed to replace his rear tire en-route (there's a shot of the rear tire with belt threads showing in the trailer video). Unless he had someone in his crew with a second wheel with a new mounted tire ready to go (which I wouldn't put it past him to have done), that was definitely a longer stop.

Until (if) they make the proposed documentary about this ride and the history of transcontinental rides, we may never know what his total stop time was. I was just taking a SWAG to estimate his target cruising speed.

Nightowl - 2015 K1600GTL (new and being farkled)
Vector - 2006 HD VRSCR (up for sale)
Cruiser - 1992 HD FLSTC (substantially tweaked)
https://www.ghostcruises.org
- Tales from the road... and other acts of hubris.
post #25 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Reese had to take a dump at some point.

Drop trou at 100 MPH and let fly. Bonus- Air Dry !
charlie3133 likes this.
post #26 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Half an hour per stop..???? Kind of new to the whole distance riding idea aren't you?

I'm not a fast guy, but I'll knock out several +900 Mile days back to back. I only factor in 10 minutes per fuel stop. It takes 5 minutes to fuel up, 2 minutes to pay as a typical stop, giving me an actual average of 7 minutes.
Rest assured that I've done plenty of distance riding.

During your 900+ mile days, you never visit the bathroom or eat? Just 10 minutes for gas and off you go until the ride is over, eh? That's an over-simplification.

Err, no it's not. By watching what I eat and drink for a day or two before, toilet breaks are no more than a "dash and splash" and then probably only once a day. Having to find time to "jettison the cargo", happens to the point of rarely. I'll admit that on some trips, suppressing the need to pee, makes me wonder why I don't have kidney damage. Mind you, riding at over 90f means you'll sweat it out before you need to stop.

I carry at least three litres of water. Two in the camel pack in my tank bag, the other spare is in the thermos attached to the left fairing, so other than grabbing a Powerade or such like and a service station sandwich, which go into the tank bag as well, I'll eat and drink on the run.

If I do a meal break on a 900 mile day, it's usually about 1pm for 20 minutes. Stopped time is not travel time. Reducing breaks is the fastest way to increase distance.
post #27 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 PM

that's fast!
post #28 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Err, no it's not. By watching what I eat and drink for a day or two before, toilet breaks are no more than a "dash and splash" and then probably only once a day. Having to find time to "jettison the cargo", happens to the point of rarely. I'll admit that on some trips, suppressing the need to pee, makes me wonder why I don't have kidney damage...
I'm no Doctor but that sure doesn't sound like even a remotely healthy practice....

I love to ride but I guess I'll never understand why anyone would subject themselves to such a practice.....doesn't sound one bit fun.

JMHO...

-Brian
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
post #29 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 PM

Ok, this Cannonball run is an example of extreme distance riding, so the normal touring rules or experience don't really apply here.

You've done 900+ mile days? Good on you, that's something to be proud of (if that was your goal). But let's do the math here:

2,828 miles in 38:49 averages out to 72.88 mph. That multiplies out to 1,749 miles in 24 hours, almost double a "normal" 900-mile day. Do that again for another half-day, without stopping, and you're still not quite there.

Now I haven't done a 1,750-mile day myself, mostly because I actually value my license. But I have done dozens of 1,500+ mile days, and a few that were 1,600+. All of which can be done on US Interstates by following the basic speed rules, with maybe 5-10 over (which is less than the flow of traffic in many large cities). No need for 100+ mph jaunts (fun as they may be).

Note that such times include all stops for fuel, tires, and anything else. Do you think he slept? Of course not, he'd just push on through the night, and count on the next daylight to carry him through (that, and the justified paranoia that comes with running 100+ mph through multiple time zones and innumerable law enforcement jurisdictions).

Do you think that just maybe, in extreme circumstances such as this, you could hold your morning constitutional for one day? I don't know if this guy used a catheter or just hung it out on the side of the road (moving or not), but even the occasional pee can be done rather quickly when time is of the utmost importance. And I imagine he made good use of whatever time it took to get that tire changed out . . .

Again, this is an extreme situation, so extreme measures were taken. Not that I'm condoning his actions; I'm merely pointing out how such a thing could be done.

And as I've said before, while I know that my skill set makes me fully able to meet or even exceed his time (I wouldn't be stopping for tire changes, for one thing), my experience tells me that crossing four time zones at super-legal speeds simply isn't worth the risk/reward scenario, much less some random bragging rights.

But you can be dämn sure that I've already planned out just how to do so, purely as an educational exercise, of course . . .

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #30 of 62 Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you question marathon runners like this? Same concept. It takes practice and conditioning to do 1500+ mile days stopping only when the machine demands it....

In 2013 I did just over 2000 miles in 31 hours during the Big Sky Rally. I stopped for bonuses and fuel. If I had an aux fuel tank back then I would have stopped even less and likely taken 3rd instead of 4th. I was carrying 48 oz of water in the tank bag and ate granola bars on the road. I only needed one pee stop half way through. This has always been my MO since I was but a wee lad (no pun intended this time)...

-Stephen!
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page