BaseCamp vs inRoute - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

BaseCamp vs inRoute

For many years I have done my route planning like many of us using Garmin BaseCamp. I had searched for other tools while hoping that BaseCamp would improve and grow. Over the last year I have been using inRoute side by side with BaseCamp and just recently switched completely to using inRoute.

While BaseCamp has many great features it also has many frustrating problems. Being an Apple guy I was looking for an OS or iOS solution. That's when I found inRoute. Right up front, the biggest drawbacks to inRoute is that right now it is iOS only. That means it only works on an iPhone or iPad. For those of us already equipped with those it becomes a big advantage. It requires an internet connection. At times that can be a problem. There is no way at this time to transfer the finished GPX file of the planned route directly to a Garmin GPS. That must be done with a computer. You will need to email or Airdrop the GPX file to a computer for transfer to the Garmin GPS. Those are easy problems to overcome.

While those are the biggest issues I have noticed, the advantages are worth it. First, using the iPad it is much easier to manipulate. The mapping is very good. The search function works great with just a little practice. Saving and modifying routes is easy and mostly intuitive. Of course, like most software, there is a learning curve. An iPad is very mobile and has its own data connection if so equipped. That enables working with the route, easy at anytime. While riding, the inRoute app will pull up the weather and display it along your route, predicting temperatures and precipitation throughout the day of riding. It will show you the level of curviness to the route along with elevation. It will show you humidity and wind speed along the route and it will give you severe weather warnings. Just to name a few nice features.

BaseCamp is free, inRoute has a small fee to open up all of its potential. inRoute in my opinion is the future of route planning. It has active features along with simple intuitive route planning. If you haven't tried it I would suggest starting with the basic features to get a feel for it. Remember, anything new will be frustrating at first. Give it time, make the effort to learn it and I think most will like it. It isn't perfect but it is very good. Good enough that it has become my go to software for ride planning.

I am interested to hear from others that might already be using inRoute, other opinions, techniques and critiques.

Steve
raw2210 likes this.

2006 Harley Road Glide
2011 BMW R1200GSA
2016 BMW K1600 GTLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Thanks Steve, I may grab myself a bottle of scotch tonight and give this a try. For me Basecamp has been maddening scotch or not. Thanks for the info. Dan
post #3 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Need Something Else

Thank you Steve for the tip! I am Apple based and this is something I will certainly try. Especially since it's winter time.

I look forward to your YouTube tutorial?!!!
Bob B. Generic likes this.

post #4 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 AM

I think BaseCamp is a very hard program to use. Why?? Probably because I haven't learnt it properly. I've been using it for 2 1/2 years and I'm still scratching the surface.

Saying that, as I have a navigator 4, think I'm kind of stuck with it.. One of these days I'll learn to use it inn the manner it was intended. :-)
post #5 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I also use my old reliable NAV 4. It works great with inRoute. As with most GPS's you will develop the route using inRoute. You can then transfer the resultant GPX file to any computer and drop it into the GPS. There is no need to use BaseCamp to transfer the route.

If someone has a TomTom GPS I would be interested to know about your experience with inRoute. It appears that you can transfer routes to a TomTom GPS with inRoute. I don't have that hardware to try it.

Steve

2006 Harley Road Glide
2011 BMW R1200GSA
2016 BMW K1600 GTLE
post #6 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 PM

I'm all for it but are you saying I would need a ipad and a computer to get to get my route in the Garmin? I do carry a Ipad with me when on multiple day rides but not a computer.
post #7 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 PM

Garage
BaseCamp vs inRoute

The biggest issue I had with inroute this summer was when I took a wrong turn it would not recalculate the easiest or quickest way to get back on track. It would only tell me to return to route and would only show me how to get back to the point I left. This only seemed to be a problem in big cities, but thats where I needed it most.
I only used it on my iPhone and didn't transfer it to my gps. Maybe that would have solved that problem, but idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Agrsiv; 01-21-2017 at 08:57 PM.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Garage
BaseCamp

Here is a link to instructional video's on BaseCamp ( Getting past the Learning Curve..BASECAMP - BMW Luxury Touring Community ). Hope it is of assistance. Best,

Doc
bmwrider64 likes this.
post #9 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tccraiger View Post
I'm all for it but are you saying I would need a ipad and a computer to get to get my route in the Garmin? I do carry a Ipad with me when on multiple day rides but not a computer.
Unfortunately, right now, that is correct.

Although, in practice, I don't find it that much different than when I was using BaseCamp. If you were to plan your ride in BaseCamp, then want to change it while on the ride, you would still need to have your computer with you. Now, you just need to bring your iPad also. For me, I always have my iPad with me. Using BaseCamp, I had to also bring my laptop. It's the same now but I have high hopes that at some point the laptop will sit at home and probably never be replaced.

I have not tried it but if you had access to any computer that had a USB port for hooking up your GPS, you could use that. Possibly a hotel computer or someone else's that you are riding with. The computer is only needed to transfer the file, you don't need BaseCamp.

If you have an iPhone you could leave your iPad at home. When logged into inRoute on your iPhone or iPad, you have all of the same data. You could make corrections to your route on your iPhone, email or transfer the file to a computer then to the GPS. The obvious problem would be with the smaller screen size doing a lot of work on the iPhone would be a little more challenging. I have an iPhone that I use and don't find it much of a problem. With the larger iPhone it is much easier.

I have asked inRoute support for more info on transferring files. While I have been using this app for awhile I am now focusing exclusively on using this app, the learning curve is steep. I will update with info I learn from inRoute. I don't profess to be an expert with inRoute, I am learning it as I go but I do have some experience with it.

2006 Harley Road Glide
2011 BMW R1200GSA
2016 BMW K1600 GTLE

Last edited by Steve-O; 01-21-2017 at 09:22 PM.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrsiv View Post
The biggest issue I had with inroute this summer was when I took a wrong turn it would not recalculate the easiest or quickest way to get back on track. It would only tell me to return to route and would only show me how to get back to the point I left. This only seemed to be a problem in big cities, but thats where I needed it most.
I only used it on my iPhone and didn't transfer it to my gps. Maybe that would have solved that problem, but idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never used InRoute as my primary navigation tool. I always use it for planning, then transfer my plan to a GPS for actual navigation. I assume the app would work well for actual navigation while referencing your iPhone or iPad. I don't know it's limitations as a standalone device.

For me, the GPS has always been my preferred method of navigating. Especially on the K1600 which has a pretty good setup for using the GPS. Not a perfect setup, but better than most I have experienced.

2006 Harley Road Glide
2011 BMW R1200GSA
2016 BMW K1600 GTLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page