Not BMW specific, but concerning none the less - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Not BMW specific, but concerning none the less

I came across the article this morning about the impact of emission controls on the motorcycle industry. We've all heard this stuff before, and technology has come to the rescue. Which I believe will happen again. More efficient fuel metering, larger (and uglier?) catalytic converters and other already known techonologies should get the job done. But there's a cost for everything...

Is it the end of the motorcycle as we know it?- Nikkei Asian Review

How can you tell the difference between a Plumber and a Chemist?
Ask them to pronounce unionized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM

So they can't make old motorcycles anymore. They can't build a CB750 today without re-designing everything about it like Triumph did with the Bonneville. I think the guy who wrote the article is just mad Yamaha is discounting his personal love the VMAX.
Morgan likes this.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT
post #3 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM

I remember back in the 70's and 80's when pollution gear first started showing up on cars. We had things called smog pumps driven off the front serpentine belt on the engine. Cars really sucked back then and even hot snot performance cars were bragging about 275 HP. I wonder though where we'd be today if those restrictions hadn't happened? I'm driving a new F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and 10 speed tranny. 375 HP and 470 ft. lbs out of a 3.5L engine that emits less harmful stuff than I do after the chili cook-off. I still can't believe I own a freakin' pickup truck that will boogie like that with a 6 cylinder.

I imagine the performance motorcycle of the future will be some sort of hybrid drive with 100 hp from internal combustion and another 100 hp from electric drive. Imagine instant full torque with great top end power that makes all the nasty noises we love so much but gets 120 mpg and is PZEV.

When I brought home my S1000RR I said to myself that I can't believe that I can walk into a dealership and ride this thing out to ride on the street - 180 HP at the rear wheel! Not too many years ago that would have required a racing license and a factory team to get on something like that. I thought to myself, "I truly live in the golden age of performance motorcycles!" With advances in batteries we may be looking at the peak of internal combustion performance now but I wonder if the best is still yet to come?
Gunnert, Brick, Darbinco and 3 others like this.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (for the off-road ADVs)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)

post #4 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
I remember back in the 70's and 80's when pollution gear first started showing up on cars. We had things called smog pumps driven off the front serpentine belt on the engine. Cars really sucked back then and even hot snot performance cars were bragging about 275 HP. I wonder though where we'd be today if those restrictions hadn't happened? I'm driving a new F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and 10 speed tranny. 375 HP and 470 ft. lbs out of a 3.5L engine that emits less harmful stuff than I do after the chili cook-off. I still can't believe I own a freakin' pickup truck that will boogie like that with a 6 cylinder.

I imagine the performance motorcycle of the future will be some sort of hybrid drive with 100 hp from internal combustion and another 100 hp from electric drive. Imagine instant full torque with great top end power that makes all the nasty noises we love so much but gets 120 mpg and is PZEV.

When I brought home my S1000RR I said to myself that I can't believe that I can walk into a dealership and ride this thing out to ride on the street - 180 HP at the rear wheel! Not too many years ago that would have required a racing license and a factory team to get on something like that. I thought to myself, "I truly live in the golden age of performance motorcycles!" With advances in batteries we may be looking at the peak of internal combustion performance now but I wonder if the best is still yet to come?
I agree! I worked in the motorcycle industry in the 90's. I was the tech at Cycle Thrills, which was the the only bike shop at the time in the Dallas area with a Dyno-jet 100. I dynoed hundreds of bikes. I spent many a Saturday dyno tuning all day for customers. Some of the baddest bikes in the DFW area back then had thousands of dollars invested to get to 135-145 HP at the rear wheel. This truly is a magical time for bikes, technology and the mixture there of.
Rick

2016 BMW K1600 GTL-E
1961 FL 74 Panhead
post #5 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

It was anticipated that Euro 4 would be the death of motorcycles. Well, despite the added exhaust weight (maybe 15 lbs.) the bikes are performing very well. Probably the exotic electronics that are now coming to market from the auto side is what is allowing this performance despite the added green penalty.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
Son of the American Revolution
post #6 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Euro 4 by MCN

Emissions impossible; what Euro 4 really means | MCN

Excited about saving the planet with Euro 4?

Euro 5 is coming in 2020. Oh Boy!!

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
post #7 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Note the new OBD plug requirement. Not long until law enforcement can grab the last minutes of riding data after an incident.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
post #8 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
Note the new OBD plug requirement. Not long until law enforcement can grab the last minutes of riding data after an incident.
That has been available on four wheeled vehicles for 20 years with the introduction of OBD II in 1997

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
2011 BMW K1600GTL
1965 Ford Mustang 2+2
1994 Ford F250 Turbo-Diesel
post #9 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Well just sit tight- Here in the USA we don't believe in global warming and emission problems.. according to Trump. Therefore we will have coal fired two strokes with no emission controls later next year! Should be a big lift to the industry

2015 K1600GT Sport
2012 R1200GS
DRZ400s
post #10 of 27 Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoZen View Post
...we will have coal fired two strokes with no emission controls later next year! Should be a big lift to the industry
Coal-fired? Here in the U.S. that's called "electric".
Deans BMW, RL Lemke, GTLen and 4 others like this.

2016 K1600GTL Ocean Blue Metallic Matte
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► “When life throws you a curve... lean into it!” ~ Anonymous
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page