Reverse Gear in the 2017 models - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Reverse Gear in the 2017 models

While having a look at the new K1600 GT at the dealer the other day , their is not a lot of difference to the old model . As for the reverse gear while it would be handy and towing a trailer it would be really handy , But its not standard on the 2017 models If you want it !! add another 2 k AUD to the price and what more it cannot be retro fitted to the older models so the dealer said. so their goes my idea of putting it on my 2015 model. Its sad that BMW has made both the big tickets item on the 2017 models as non standard. But it makes you wonder just what else is in the pipe line for the K1600 and or do they BMW listen to the feedback of those who ride them ?. Their is always talk regarding the seat height . I would be handy if BMW put another lower adjustment on it . Or even a lane departure light in the mirrors a warning if someone is sitting in your blackspot. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 AM

I guess it depends on where you live. Coming from a K 1200 LT with a reverse, but living in Flatlorida, for me the reverse was unnecessary. I got "lazy" and used it occasionally. When I heard that the K 1600 GTL was coming out, one of the thing that I hoped was that it did NOT have was a reverse. For me, it was just extra parts that added weight, hardware, electronics and hydraulics. I was happy it was not on the GTL. Now that it's available, I personally would not pay extra for it. In fact, I'd pay extra for to not have it. Of course, that's just me !

As far as the lane departure signals, they are nice but will never replace the head shake. Trust but verify.
Morgan and gooddog like this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida

Last edited by DanDiver; 04-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.
post #3 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Had reverse on both my Gl1800's......used it less than a half dozen times in 13-years.
This is pulling a trailer many times also.

For me, just never really needed it and would never pay extra for it on the K1600.
I learn to park smart so I never put my self in a situation that I really needed it.
Morgan likes this.

-Brian
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive

post #4 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 AM

I park in my garage that has a slight lip between it and the driveway as well as the driveway being pitched forward the garage. Add that to having two cars in the driveway to back around and backing out my 750 pound bike for this short 145 pound rider is a pita.

Reverse for me would be helpful almost every day. It isn't about parking smart or "stupid" but circumstance. What seems useless to some is very useful for others.

And that is exactly why it's not standard. Keep the price low for those that don't want it and those that do, well they pay for it.

There is a cost to the development, parts and limited split production....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
GTLen and Blackfin31 like this.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM

Garage
Ordered a 2017GTL w/o reverse and emergency button. Never missed a reverse in my Harley or BMW bikes and I am not willing to fork over 1200€ for features I don't need. Salesman mentioned resale value but I buy the bike for me and not for the next guy. It is great that they added the option for the few that might need it.
Morgan likes this.

'You know that the world is going to h$ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
1967 HD FL Police

post #6 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Garage
I have a bad right leg, so sometimes backing the GTL up can be a challenge like others have described...2-up not so much of a problem as my wife could help before mounting up by providing a pull on the pannier bars.

Solo I've found that by putting the suspension on Sport/1-up it lowers the bike just enough to make it markedly easier for me, as I have more foot-to-ground contact.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electrical Engineer
2014 HD FLHTK
2013 K1600GTL
post #7 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc11 View Post
. It isn't about parking smart or "stupid" but circumstance.
You have circumstances at home that warrant the extra $$ for purchase of reverse, that's fine......

But, a lot of it......is.......about parking smart and not putting yourself in circumstances that warrant reverse.
I'm 5'10" and 150lbs of pure non-muscle......parking smart does eliminate the need in most circumstances.

I don't want the weight, complexity, or cost.......having it be an option is a great move by BMW IMHO.
Morgan likes this.

-Brian
post #8 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Please come to my house and tell me how I'm parking stupid....It always amazes how some dismiss features, functions or style for all based solely on their own needs and opinions.

post #9 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc11 View Post
Please come to my house and tell me how I'm parking stupid....It always amazes how some dismiss features, functions or style for all based solely on their own needs and opinions.

Settle down.....wow.
Please read my post above.

Never said your parking stupid, now did I?
You have circumstances, at home, that warrant reverse.......fine, then it makes sense for you.

Morgan likes this.

-Brian
post #10 of 41 Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM

When I had my Goldwings I did not have room in my garage for them so I added a shed to the back of my garage. The door is only four feet wide, so I had to sit on the bike to back it in, no room to push it from the side of the bike. It would have been almost impossible without the reverse gear because there was a raised lip I had to get it over. I think it would be almost impossible on the 1600 as well.

I guess that is my way of saying I think it's a good feature. And it's not always easy to find a parking spot that is easy to push a bike out of...and yes, I get that planning ahead can help.

2015 BMW K1600GT - Black Storm Metallic
2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
2016 BMW S1000r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page