Suburban Peg Lowering Kit Installed - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Default Suburban Peg Lowering Kit Installed

The installation went rather smoothly and took about an hour. The spring was a bear to fit!!!!! Problem thought with the shifter and rear brake.

Shifter is too high and can be lowered a little, but not enough. Can the rod that connects the shifter to I'm guessing the transmission, that is about 8 inches long, be lengthened or adjusted?

Any suggestions on the rear brake? Can it be lowered?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Got this answer on the other forum from Steve

Yes it is very easy. Just above the left foot peg / shifter there is a silver plastic cover with the # 6 on it. Remove the 2 screws & you will see the upper shifter arm that connects the shifter rod to the shifter shaft on the motor. Loosen the bolt on the shift arm (you might have to remove bolt) & pull the shifter arm off shaft. Turn it a few teeth over then reinstall. Check the foot shifter to see if it was moved enough. If so tighten up the upper shifter arm. If not remove & turn it some more.

Not sure about the brake as I have not had to move it yet but I will as it is too low for me.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
The installation went rather smoothly and took about an hour. The spring was a bear to fit!!!!! Problem thought with the shifter and rear brake.

Shifter is too high and can be lowered a little, but not enough. Can the rod that connects the shifter to I'm guessing the transmission, that is about 8 inches long, be lengthened or adjusted?

Any suggestions on the rear brake? Can it be lowered?
Is this kit specifically for the GTL or for the GT as well.

This is going to sound crazy but I wanted to get a lowering kit but I was wondering if it would put my foot more in the path of the heat.
Ken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
Is this kit specifically for the GTL or for the GT as well.

This is going to sound crazy but I wanted to get a lowering kit but I was wondering if it would put my foot more in the path of the heat.
Ken
Go to the Suburban Machinery web site for exact specifics. My bike is the GTL. I've had it for several days, but have not really tested it on winding curves and twists. I did ride in 90 degree + temp ( at least I thought it was that warm, but my temp guage read 85 ) and It actually felt not as hot as before the peg was lowered.

Looks like I'm going to need a large star socket (size #8) though to adjust the shifter lower. All these new tools for the bike!

Last edited by DanDiver; 08-14-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: addition STAR SOCKET is # 8
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #5

Bought mine today from Bob's. Thanks for the heads up.
Ken
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
Bought mine today from Bob's. Thanks for the heads up.
Ken
When you install it, take your time and understand how you remove the main pin and slide in the new one in, before you try it. The spring is a real bear to keep compressed along with the plastic insert. It sounds more complicated than it is but after you do the first, the second is easy. Just be patient and go slowly.

It took me about 15-20 minutes to do the first one and about a minute to do the second. It just took me a few minutes to understand sliding one out and the other in at the same time!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
GM
Administrator

So, is anyone going to SHOW and tell, not just tell.. Got pics?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

OK - Here is what you do to adjust the shifter arm.

After removing the cover plate ( two screws) that has the 6 on it, you also remove the cover that surrounds on 3 sides of the small lower key open compartment. Three screws and one is a #20, not #25 you have access to the 8'' shifter link to the transmission. It can be extended at least another 3/4 " . Where it connects to the transmission (loosen screw with a # 8 star socket) and there is room for more play if you need it.

The linkage between the transmission and the shifter is open and easy to service too.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #9

There is really not much to see. You can see the part on the web site. It lowers the foot peg and extends it about 1 1/2''. I can take a picture of it installed, but my picture probably won't show you much detail. It is pretty transparent. Feels much better though.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #10

Glad you got it together Dan. Now go out & ride & stop workin on the darn thing.
ASAP Motorcycle Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement