K1600GTL vs K1200LT? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #1

Smile K1600GTL vs K1200LT?

I have pre-ordered a GTL but I have to admit that I lay awake at night asking myself is it really going to be worth a huge premium to exchange my current 06' K1200LT with 31K that is running solidly right now. Beside the obvious differences, such as adaptive headlight and, of course, the new engine and transmission etc., is my daily commute driving seriously going to be transformed? Some of the comments with regard to the Kevin Ash review hinted that possibly the handling and ergonomics might be even less desirable than my current LT.
So far the majority of the comparisons seem to be GT vs GTL. I'm guessing that there are at least a few LT owners out there who are in my position.
This forum has been an incredible informational resource. This is a pretty pricey decision so I am truly grateful for both the questions and the responses.

1989 RT
2002 RT
2006 RT
2006 LT (current)
2012 GTL (pre-ordered)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
GM
Administrator

The common thread heard from current LT owners is that they don't like the styling of the GTL, specifically the look of the added-on topcase. Looks are personal and highly subjective. There's also been some laments regarding the lack of a wired communication system. The GTL has a wireless (bluetooth) system. There's nothing wrong with the K1200LT but if you do get the GTL, I think you'll be easily seduced by the new engine and the creature comforts. There is no powered center stand or electric reverse, how crucial are those to you?

If your daily commute is in an urban center with a lot of stop and go traffic, I doubt any bike will transform your ride. Both the LT and GTL shine in their long distance touring duty.

Also, when you think about it, the LT's engine is based on a 25 year old design first introduced in 1985 displaced 1000cc's. The K16's engine is going to be one "intoxicating" power plant that's also amazingly fuel efficient.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

I wonder how expensive the valve adjustments are going to be????????

My 2000 K1200LT-C was expensive enough. The four R series twins I've had were a simple do it yourself proposition.

Complexity is nice but it comes at a price.

Sam

Read John 3:16
Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
I wonder how expensive the valve adjustments are going to be????????

My 2000 K1200LT-C was expensive enough. The four R series twins I've had were a simple do it yourself proposition.

Complexity is nice but it comes at a price.

Sam
The K12LT valve adjustments weren't hard, just tedious work to get to the point you could lift out a cam. No biggie. The K16 will be the same -- just more of a pita because the head is behind the radiator and generally more buried -- but it is still jus ta matter of lifting out a cam to remove a bucket. Plus, you don't have to check them as often on the K16.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

So why worry this is 2011 all will be fine, do not look in the past, bikes then were different as well as prices, just embrace this great bike and go forward not back in the past.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #6

I really appreciate your insight with regard to my question. I think your comments are pretty right on. I also understand that there seems to be quite a bit of speculation, as much as hard comparative facts flying around.
For me, the LT has been a fantastic commute bike. The powered center stand I really liked - until the accumulator recently failed. Now I have to decide whether to drop 1300.00 or try to sell 'as is'. Although infrequently, I did, actually, make use of the meager reverse gear function.
I guess I posed my question, perhaps a little prematurely, to see if I can illicit an actual account from someone who, like myself, is getting off an LT that they use almost daily and had access to the GTL and could give some feedback on the comparative experience.
I was the first rider in San Francisco to handover a check for a GTL, so believe me, I have already been seduced by the positives. The GT is not really 'set-up' to my preference but I keep seeing that, generally speaking, the GT gets the better grade over the GTL. Perception will always be subjective and if I have learned anything after riding a multiplicity of bikes over many years, is that, one always seems to 'grow' into a new bike and it usually takes a little while before the marriage is consummated.
Reality is that I have never reached this deep into my pocket for a bike so I can't help but to continually question if I'm making right decision. I am concerned with insuring that I am riding the safest, best performing motorcycle I can get my hands on and the GTL seems to be the ultimate candidate to achieve that goal.

1989 RT
2002 RT
2006 RT
2006 LT (current)
2012 GTL (pre-ordered)
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
T -- just more of a pita because...
A little slow tonight. I was wondering why you were referencing Shwarma/Gyro ingredients... and then it hit me - Pain in...
2009 K1300S
1948 R35

http://theworldisflat-seeitall.blogspot.com/
Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #8

Default K1200LT to GTL

I have had 2 LTs 1999 and a 2005..then went to a GSA 1200 and now to the GTL.. My views for what its worth is the GTL big sell is the 1600 engine ,lights and gadgets....and I feel the bike is a super version of a GT...not an LT

For the LT riders out there like my self getting taken in by all this new bike then take a minute to think...the finish of the GTL is nothing compared to the LT..the top box and panniers the one size fits all seat ,the always have to look through screen..the Sat nav to far away to see and reach with poor on bike controls ..the horn ... the small controls on the bars the turn control feels so small the list goes on

Just one point to remember the LT is one **** of a bike with problems we know ,weight and centre of gravity but its a lot to give up and a lot of cash to lay out...looking back after 8 weeks with the GTL im thinking should have gone with a 2009 LT Stewart
Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #9

Coming from the LT for the last 6 years I can tell you (For me) it is like day & night. Last night my wife & I went for a short ride on some back roads that I've rode many times on the LT. The GTL takes the twisties WITHOUT even thinking about them. I was just going along & looked down & was going about 80 in 45 MPH curves. The LT NEVER handled the road like the GTL does. I can't wait to ride up to Boise at the end of August.

YouRide.us

ASAP Motorcycle Service
Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #10

I have a GTL. I'm coming off 4 K12LTs ('00, '02, '05, '06) and an R12RT ('09). Unfortunately, most of my riding is daily commuting in heavy urban/suburban traffic.

I often said the LT was an ideal commuter -- lots of storage space (briefcase, files, raingear, suitcoat, et., etc.), great weather protection and lots of nice to have features (heated gear, radio, etc.)

The GTL is different than the LT, but every bit as good as the LT in this application, with better handling due to both the Duolever and the 100 lb. weight loss.

Downsides: The trunk is not quite as large. There is a small amount of heat on the left shin above 90F. Wind protection at 70 mph is about 95% of the LT's. Not as much room under the skin for add-ons (fuse boxes, etc.). The lack of a wired audio option (Bluetooth only, and I'm not convinced the intercom will be better, as it's not clear to me yet that it is VOX actuated (as opposed to requiring a button push every time you want to talk) -- I haven't received my BMW Bluetooth units yet, so can't comment).

Upsides: Handling -- I've never ridden a bike this size with such confidence-inspiring handling -- the LT can certainly dance well, but the K16 takes it to a new level. Power -- the LT's great weakness IMO, was the lack of low-end grunt, even after the '05 revision -- that is not an issue with the GTL; there's so much torque that you forget to downshift. Electronics integration -- a bit of a learning curve, but quickly adapted to. Large, removable saddlebags; easier-to-remove topcase. Virtually nothing given up to the LT -- central locking, lighted topcase (now with struts to hold up the lid), good passenger accommodations.

The GTL is, to me, 1/2 way between the LT and and RT, with a lovely engine smoothness and excellent handling -- hard to ask for more.

Last edited by mneblett; 06-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement