BMW K1600 Forum banner

Why replace a factory K1600 Windshield?

37K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  NS1600B 
#1 ·
Hey I've seen a few posts of guys who are anxious to receive new windshields form a couple third party vendors.

On my K1600 I don't feel any wind on my body. At 6'1" I raise the windshield about 90% on highways otherwise the wind noise on the helmet created by the faring makes things too loud on the ears.

What does one gain with a change in windshield?

#31 ·
Steve
The GT and GT Sport windshields should be better for you then the stock GTL windshield. Aeroflow makes some short windshields that work for some people. I currently use a Wunderlich Ergo 2, I don't know how it is going to be in the winter since it has a good flow of air under the shield.

Reactions: Steve L
#33 ·
I replaced the shield on my GT with a 18" cee bailey to get more breeze on 100 degree summer days. It also turned out to be MUCH quieter than the stock screen, where it seems that the V-notch top edge generates a lot of turbulence, At highway speeds of 70+, it still gets a bit noisy, but raising it about half way fixes that (and I can still see over it). With the stock screen, I'd have to raise it nearly all the way to get some quiet, but then it was too hot.

#35 ·
I agree completely. When I bought my GT three years ago I already had the 18" Cee Baily when the bike came in. Until the day before yesterday I had not ridden a GT with the stock windshiled since the day I rode mine home.

I test rode a new GT Saturday. I was amazed that it was so noisy unless I put it up to the point where there was zero wind hitting me. I actually like a little hitting me. I sit fairly low and can still raise it high enough to get totally blocked from the wind, which I actually almost never do.

#36 ·
#37 ·
I put a larger touring Ztechnik screen on my GT shortly after buying it several years ago. While common sense says a smaller screen for better airflow might make more sense when for over half the year our local temperature doesn't fall much below 90f on a cool day.

The big Ztechnik is only raised about an inch, to put it at a height where I can look over it, still get some cooling but no buffeting. (I'm 5 11) the low angle of attack compared to the stock screen for the same result is huge. The stock screen would be at least 75% raised. The wider screen also stops bugs and road debris from striking my shoulders.

Road debris is the major reason for choosing the Ztechnik range -again- on my current bike. The Ztechnik is poly carbonate not acrylic. They'll take a pounding without breaking. I've had a fist sized rock dislodge from a truck, hit the screen centre and bounce off with little more than a small dent to show for it. 2 years ago I was run off the road by a tour bus. The result was a slow speed drop into a rock wall. The screen bent 90 degrees without breaking. There was several deep gouges, but no cracks. I put another 6500 miles on that screen before replacing it. No way would acrylic take that sort of beating.

As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't poly carb, it's cheap rubbish.

#39 ·
I got the Aeroflow because it has a turned up lip at the top. I had them on other bikes and they work great, meaning: You could look over the shield with no buffeting.

But the model they have for the GT does not work as well. I am unhappy with it and looking for another option.

I may try putting a Laminar lip on it see if it works

#40 ·
#41 ·
#43 ·
I was thinkin' of using those side shields in addition to the aeroflow minis and maxis for the winter weather here in NORTHwest Florida.
Gets into the teens and low twenties more than we like here.
We joke about moving to Florida, as this is referred to as Southern LA, (Lower Alabama).

#44 ·
with your idea (both winglets) its sure to provide wintry protection as you would expect.

I really think that the placement of this particular winglet by the knee area of the fairing is exactly the spot where other bikes seem to offer better protection.

I was taking a close look at the foot wing. It might be the solution to the "heat on the left ankle" issue.

BTW: do you know anything about the Cee Bailey wide shield? I am unhappy with the aeroflow. It doesn't seem to be wide enough and I get 'noise' on the side of my bucket-head.

#45 ·
...BTW: do you know anything about the Cee Bailey wide shield? I am unhappy with the aeroflow. It doesn't seem to be wide enough and I get 'noise' on the side of my bucket-head.[/QUOTE]

GTer;

Search for relevance; I'm 5'10" with 31 inch inseam. I have a Cee Bailey 24" Tall X Wide w/Vent on order for my GTL. Expect to have it late next week. I will let update post as soon as I've had a chance to adequately test it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.