Rider Foot Peg Lowering Kit - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Default RECOMMENDATIONS - Foot Peg Lowering Kit

Hello,

What's the best kit out there?

I have a K1600GT and at 6'1 think they would be helpful. But I hope they won't reduce the leaning angle in the twists.

So what's the best brand???

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited by Marcus; 12-07-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DMcK

I have the Verholen kit. The quality of the engineering is high and the ease of installation is good. The instructions were non existent but it was easy enough to work out. The kit does place your feet further out to each side then the location of the OEM pegs, it is probably 20mm or less than 1" further out. Comfort is a very subjective thing but to me they made the ride much more comfortable. I haven't scrapped the pegs yet but I am not also a boy racer. I am a little over 6'2"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I hope they won't reduce the leaning angle in the twists.
They will of course.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hello,

What's the best kit out there?

I have a K1600GT and at 6'1 think they would be helpful. But I hope they won't reduce the leaning angle in the twists.

So what's the best brand???

Thanks!

Mark
BMW K1600GT Adjustable Driver Peg Lowering Kit Are the Driver

Looks like they'll reduce the ground clearance and I would be interested to hear from anyone that's installed them that likes the twisties riding at 8/10ths or harder?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Consider too that a GTL has its front pegs lower and more forward than the GT.

If someone has used this adjustable peg lowering on a GT and loves the twists too, speak out!

Peg lowering helpful? or a hinderance in the bends?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

I have to echo DMcK. I have the same kit and had to fumble through the mounting instructions which are not in English but figured it out quickly. The small plastic spring retaing clips had to be cut down about 3mm to get the springs to mount properly and to make room for the C clip. Other than that, they look great and function properly. Mine are set to the lowest possible position and I have not yet scraped them. I am not a race style rider by any means but I did lean pretty hard to see if I could touch them.
Foot position is now outward about an inch more and I also added the Illium brand shift extension cap. This helps as I was finding myself slipping out from under the shifter on upshifts. One thing I regret is that no one makes a brake pedal extension yet. I find that I must ride 'toe in' and lift my right foot (arch touching the mounting bolt knuckle) to properly access the brake pedal. I am in the process of trying to fabricate an extension piece for that. Coming from a H/D, I'm still getting used to the dual braking feature of the hand brake but still like the 'security' of the foot pedal. The muscle memory response is hard to consciously overcome.
Overall, I like the new installation and will keep it. I'm 6', 220#, 30" inseam with the high seat on my GTL.
BTW, if anyone knows of a 'slip over' brake extension I may have missed in my research, please post a link, Thanks in advance,
Gyro

Last edited by Gyro; 12-09-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #7

Gyro,

Good post!

When you ride with the lower pegs, what difference is apparent from the stock?

And did you need to adjust the shift lever up or down?

Do you ride GT or GTL?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #8

I moved my Suburban Machinery (imported from US) foot pegs from my RT to the GT as they are a direct fit.

The beauty of this kit is that I can install/uninstall both sides in under 5 mins with some practice, meaning that if you are after a more touring ride then they are installed and if you want a more spirited ride then take em off, as they will reduce lean angles and scrape (but not to the point where you are cornering slowly, just slower than without ).

Luckily the shift lever adjustment is simple also, requiring 2 mins of fiddling to achieve.

Last edited by GTBoy; 12-09-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #9

Marcus,
To answer your questions; As a somewhat 'handicap' rider (two total knee replacements) I had to find a way to ride with less flexation in my legs. Coming off a H/D where the seating position is entirely different and the legs are extended (I miss that comfort) is a real challenge for me. When I first rode my GTL, that factor alone almost kept me from the purchase, but I couldn't pass up the power/performance difference. I dont need to tell you that it was like going from a VW to a Vette.
Compared to stock, the new pegs are about 1.5" lower and 1" more outward. That is why I had to compensate with the pedal extensions (personal comfort).
I did adjust the shifter down about 1/2".
I considered the Suburban brand but they were not adjustable. These allowed me more flexibility (both in my knees and choice of peg positioning). Hope this helps,
Gyro

Last edited by Gyro; 12-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Excellent posts all, this really helps. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement