GTL test drive - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Default GTL test drive

Driven a Connie for the last year and was very impressed on a test drive this weekend. Any tests you can do beforehand on a new GTL to see if it's pre-disposed to the "clunk" problem? Do dealers typically discount off of MSRP on these?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

My thoughts... If your presently riding a Concours you should try the GT. They all clunk a bit. I'm not sure if some bikes are worse than others or some riders are more irritated by it than others. I ride with earplugs and it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm thinking the people who need to ride it slow are the ones who are unhappy. This bike loves to be ridden hard.
K1600GT #490
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Thanks Rick. My wife will be riding with me more so I was leaning towards the GTL. I have the Helibar Horizon ST on the Concours so the GTL ergonomics are almost the same. I prefer a more upright position. I'll probably put the stock bars back on the Concours to switch things once in a while.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Maintain RPM above 3000 RPM and you will never hear a clunk.
The engine loves it, the bike loves it, and you will love it.

Such a smooth engine and built to operate between 3000 and 8000 rpm all day long.

(Formula 1 cars idle at 6000 rpm)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #5

Why do you lean towards a GTL? My wife rides with me lots of times and I have the GT and she loves it. Especially for the passenger there's not much difference (I think). The difference in position is more for the rider.
I agree with Rick92040: it won't hurt to try the GT as well. I tried them both before making the choice.
BMW K1600 GT Red (2011; #7 registered GT in NLD); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA-2, Hella Micro DE Xenon lights
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Good advice. I'll test the GT this week. I started with the GTL due to the horrendous wrist pain from an 8 hour ride on the Connie. That all disappeared when I installed the helibars. You never know though. More information is always a good thing.

Last edited by antipaladin; 08-18-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipaladin View Post
Good advice. I'll test the GT this week. I started with the GTL due to the horrendous wrist pain from an 8 hour ride on the Connie. That all disappeared when I installed the helibars. You never know though. More information is always a good thing.
I tested both on extended rides (2+ hours) WITH my wife. We ended up with the GTL. I liked the GT better solo. But, the extra space and comfort offered by the GTL won out. I was also able to negotiate iBMW passenger armrests (installed) in the deal.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Sounds like BMW doesn't need to give a lot with these...so not much wiggle room over MSRP?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #9

Get personalized savings up to $1500 on select new BMW motorcycles through September 30, 2013.

ELIGIBLE MODELS / SAVINGS

• K 1600 GTL / $1,000 Savings
  • K 1600 GT / $1,250 Savings
BMW Motorrad USA
IBA #3456
(12/12) Silver '13 GTL - (SOLD)
"The most comfortable sport bike I've ever ridden!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement