Bluetooth FM Radio Sound Quality - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #1

Question Bluetooth FM Radio Sound Quality

FM radio sound quality over Bluetooth is horrible on my GTL. I'm using SENA BT headsets, and tested with multiple sources, and it always has really poor sound quality when using the FM receiver. USB, and satellite sound comparable to the factory speakers, but the FM source sounds like the bit rate is really low... almost like static. Do you think something is wrong with my bike or headsets, or is this just characteristic of the BT system on the GTL?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #2

I am not an expert on this topic, but it seems to me that the BT must be working okay with the USB and satellite, since it is transmitting to your helmet. Do you have the same problem with FM quality when using the bike's speakers? If so, maybe you have a loose connection on the radio, antenna?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #3

Did you turn of Loudness and try to change sound settings (Bass/Treble) on the bike through the controller ? (Audio menu). It does help.
1993-1994 Suzuki GS500E
Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdirektor View Post
Did you turn of Loudness and try to change sound settings (Bass/Treble) on the bike through the controller ? (Audio menu). It does help.
BT from my gtl to bmw helment? Certainly not hifi quality, but adequate. I find the quality good enough only for short listening periods, though. For intercom with her that demands comfort on all rides, we use different helmets with a wired system (autocom) and it's as clear with no interuptions. No bt, with this so use the speakers.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Riverfurm

What's FM?
2002 K1200RS First BMW "Sold"
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchFun View Post
FM radio sound quality over Bluetooth is horrible on my GTL. I'm using SENA BT headsets, and tested with multiple sources, and it always has really poor sound quality when using the FM receiver. USB, and satellite sound comparable to the factory speakers, but the FM source sounds like the bit rate is really low... almost like static. Do you think something is wrong with my bike or headsets, or is this just characteristic of the BT system on the GTL?

Do you mean that the sound is like the channel is a bit off frequency? In that case I have the same issue.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

My experience is a little different...FM and USB sound very good but Satellite not so good. This is with Sena or the SRC BT headsets.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

As a follow up to the above responses, my audio sounds fine on the bike speakers from all sources (sure it's not the best thing I've ever heard, but it's clear and of reasonable quality), but when using the BT headset, the FM signal sounds very degraded (almost like static, or low quality internet radio). Satellite, and USB sound about like they do through the bike speakers. I've played with bass and treble settings to no avail. I'll see what happens with the loudness setting when I get a chance. My cell phone also sounds just fine on the headset as well. BTW, all this testing has been done with the bike sitting still with the engine off, so no wind noise etc. is being considered.

I'm just looking to see if this is something common, or if I should make the trek back to the dealer for a warranty claim.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverfurm View Post
What's FM?
The 1600 GT is FM!
2012 K1600GT Red #842
2013 R1200GSW
2013 HD Superglide
Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
My experience is a little different...FM and USB sound very good but Satellite not so good. This is with Sena or the SRC BT headsets.
Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
ditto!

Doug
La Quinta, CA
2014 K1600 GTL-E
2012 K1600 GTL (Traded after 69K great miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement