Water pump leaks dammit - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #31

My .02;
I had a recent discussion with my Silicon Valley Dealer regarding the "leaky water pump" issue. Apparently if it is "seeping" from the small drainage hole at the bottom of the pump, BMW's guidance is not to replace it under the warranty. This is the manner in which the pump is designed to function. However; if there is coolant anywhere else to any measureable degree (heatshield, on the ground, etc) then that is a candidate for replacement.
Mine is accumulating only a very small seepage amount at the drainage outlet at the bottom of the pump only.
1980 CB900c
1988 Goldwing SE
2001 K1200LT
2009 K1200LT
2012 K1600GTL-Current Bike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #32

REALLY? Coolant coming out the the weep hole which is and always has been an indicator of bearing seal failure and it is NOT a warranty item???

Rick H.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #33

This question has been asked before but not answered. Has anyone ever had their water pump fail? Or are very slow leaks the worst than anyone has experienced with this bike?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #34

Default Water Pump

My water pump had that weeping problem in Colorado. I drove it home to NC without issue. When I got home I took it to the dealer and they ordered a pump and advised that I could continue to drive it. Took about a week to get the pump. After the insalation I rode it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway by way of NC181. When I got to about NC 421 I stopped at an overlook and noticed some blue fluid arround the weep hole and a little on the muffler heat guard. I cleaned it off and drove home.
Once home there was no notice of the fluid and none had weeped out. I have to wonder if altitude has something to do with the weeping. It did it in the rocky Mountains and again at 4200 feet on the Parkway.
Just my observation, I cant explain it any other way.
Bud
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #35

OT: 181 up the mountain is an awesome road. Definitely a good route to exercise the coolant system on the bike. Probably one of the best roads I've been on to reduce the width of the chicken strips and tread depth on the tires too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
After the installation I rode it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway by way of NC181.
Bud

Sent from my Xoom using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush21122 View Post
No pre-order bike. Just walked into the dealer and rode out on it

Also curious about build dates with those having issues with water pumps. Hope all get it sorted smoothly!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #37

Before replacement try this proceedure. Run the engine stationary at idle until the cooling fans cycle a few times (three is what Honda recommends for the ST1300).

Cycling the fans insures the cooling system temps and internal pressure are maxed. If the problem is a pump seal that needs cleaning or seating that may do it. It may still leak if that's not the problem, and a replacement is called for

The water pumps probably are a different design, but it's worth a try.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #38

Coming back from the Rally we stopped in Santa Fe for the night. While doing my walk around inspection I noticed the dreaded sign of impending water pump failure. We made it home yesterday without a problem (other than a monsoon from **** that we had to play cat and mouse with to navigate around). Looks like it will need to go to the dealer. 10,000 miles and the record so far is one dead battery and now a water pump. All things considered, I'm pretty pleased.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
Coming back from the Rally we stopped in Santa Fe for the night. While doing my walk around inspection I noticed the dreaded sign of impending water pump failure. We made it home yesterday without a problem (other than a monsoon from **** that we had to play cat and mouse with to navigate around). Looks like it will need to go to the dealer. 10,000 miles and the record so far is one dead battery and now a water pump. All things considered, I'm pretty pleased.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Glad you made it home OK. It was a pleasure to meet you at Whiteman.

Gary
2012 K1600GT Red #842
2013 R1200GSW
2013 HD Superglide
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #40

Noticed a blue/green dot on the garage floor today. Bottom of the water pump is pretty wet so I will call Marin today. 10,400 miles.
Pittsburg,Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement