Head's Up Speedometer? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Default Head's Up Speedometer?

I don't really understand why BMW put that analog speedometer on the K1600 that winds up all the way to 170 mph. It's difficult to read and 60 mph and under are over in the 6 to 9 o'clock position. I would imagine that sometime during the life cycle of the K16 platform they will go digital, but until then....

I've been exploring a Head's Up Display for the bike, where the bike's speed will reflect off the windshield. I downloaded an App for my iPhone that does the trick and is GPS driven, and it works great at night but isn't nearly bright enough for day use. Plus a velcroed iPhone atop the dash isn't the best...but the concept is very cool - I really liked it on an evening ride.

That brings me to dedicated units. I'm considering buying one of these and installing it (using a Powerlet adaptor to the right side fairing plug):

Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Vehicle Speed Display: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Vehicle Speed Display: GPS & Navigation

Anyone tried this yet? Looks like it would install easily atop the dash, but I doubt its waterproof so it would have to come off for rainy days ,etc. Anyone else experimented with a heads up speed display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

I never pay attention to that little joke of a speedo anyway. As if my eyes aren't going fast enough, that thing with those microscopic numbers will have blind in a years time. besides mine is about 4 mph slow. I just take my speed from the gps screen, and i love the way it tells me both my speed and the speed limit.

"Not all who wander are lost". JRR Tolken

2012 K1600GTL the grey owl
2008 GSA Number seven
1973 R75/5. The hoot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

I use the Shinex unit hardwired into my LSR bike, projecting on a dark tint windscreen. IMO heads-up speed display a must for 200+ MPH... makes Class A licensing a snap.

Remember that all these HU units are designed for auto dashboards, so it might be tricky to get good results on your K16 given the limited dash space.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

I did some market research stuff for BMW helmets not so long ago. One of the features they were interested in getting opinions on was a HUD on the helmet visor showing speed, rpm and sat nav data. It's obviously very early days and may or may not make production, but I told them I'd by it !
2007 K1200R-Sport
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrkr View Post
I never pay attention to that little joke of a speedo anyway. As if my eyes aren't going fast enough, that thing with those microscopic numbers will have blind in a years time. besides mine is about 4 mph slow. I just take my speed from the gps screen, and i love the way it tells me both my speed and the speed limit.
Plus 1
ASAP Motorcycle Service
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #6

I put a little red line with a sharpe on the silver part that goes around the speedo right at the 70. I can see it now at a glance.
K1600GT #490
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #7

What's this thing you call a "speed limit"????
Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
I don't really understand why BMW put that analog speedometer on the K1600 that winds up all the way to 170 mph. It's difficult to read and 60 mph and under are over in the 6 to 9 o'clock position. I would imagine that sometime during the life cycle of the K16 platform they will go digital, but until then....

I've been exploring a Head's Up Display for the bike, where the bike's speed will reflect off the windshield. I downloaded an App for my iPhone that does the trick and is GPS driven, and it works great at night but isn't nearly bright enough for day use. Plus a velcroed iPhone atop the dash isn't the best...but the concept is very cool - I really liked it on an evening ride.

That brings me to dedicated units. I'm considering buying one of these and installing it (using a Powerlet adaptor to the right side fairing plug):

Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Vehicle Speed Display: GPS & Navigation

Anyone tried this yet? Looks like it would install easily atop the dash, but I doubt its waterproof so it would have to come off for rainy days ,etc. Anyone else experimented with a heads up speed display?
I'm going to check this out -the heads up app is interesting I do quite a lot of night/ evening riding just need FLIR for the deer I always look at the GPS for speed tho' (that would be the figure in red)

BMW R1200GS
HD V-Rod Muscle V&H Competition exhaust and fueling remapping.(2009-2013)
Triumph Speed Triple (2010-12)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW View Post
I'm going to check this out -the heads up app is interesting I do quite a lot of night/ evening riding just need FLIR for the deer I always look at the GPS for speed tho' (that would be the figure in red)
A FLIR system would be ideal. We have SO many deer around where I live that its a constant concern. I did look into it, and they are do-able, but looks to be about $ 3,000 or so to mount a system on a bike. Here's a link to a guy that put one on a 1150 GS:

http://www.flir.com/uploadedfiles/cs...orcycle_en.pdf

Motorcycle Night Vision

I'd spend $ 1K, even $ 1,500 easily, but $ 3K is getting up there - I can buy a Moto Guzzi for that much!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
A FLIR system would be ideal. We have SO many deer around where I live that its a constant concern. I did look into it, and they are do-able, but looks to be about $ 3,000 or so to mount a system on a bike. Here's a link to a guy that put one on a 1150 GS:

http://www.flir.com/uploadedfiles/cs...orcycle_en.pdf

Motorcycle Night Vision

I'd spend $ 1K, even $ 1,500 easily, but $ 3K is getting up there - I can buy a Moto Guzzi for that much!
Cool system looks like it really works but yes $3K a little steep! have to wait for the iPad app

BMW R1200GS
HD V-Rod Muscle V&H Competition exhaust and fueling remapping.(2009-2013)
Triumph Speed Triple (2010-12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement