2015 gtl - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Default 2015 gtl

Just thought I'd list some minor improvements that BMW could make for little to no cost that would encourage me to upgrade in 2.5 years. (hopefully they're following these boards. )

Actually my list is real short.

Ability to reset service minder w/o dealer visit - at least for 6,12,24,30k. No problem if they want to keep it for 18k.

Shorter duration on self canceling turn signals.

External Audio Jack (for when my C3 batteries go dead) one for pillion would be nice too.

XM instead of Sirius with upgraded Navigator to include Radar and automated traffic rerouting.

Magnum horn option.

Better external speakers and amp. (AM band on radio would be nice)

4 maps in the ECU - Rain, Road, Dynamic and OMG

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
Shorter duration on self canceling turn signals.
How about real self-canceling signals like HD and Honda have?

Quote:
4 maps in the ECU - Rain, Road, Dynamic and OMG
I see the possibility of a version of this engine that redlines at 13,000 RPM and makes over 200 hp at the rear wheel.

I'll be trading mine in on THAT one.
'12 K1600GT, Michelin PR4 GT, OBBs, engine & side case guards, cbdane running light kit, Adaptiv TPX w/H.A.R.D. System. Sena Bluetooth. PDM60, Stock windscreen, stock seat, stock exhaust - it's all good.
'13 S1000RR, OBBs, tall tinted screen, R&G protection bits, Pazzo shorties, Throttlemeisters
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

I'm not an owner yet, but as a potential owner here is what I would like to see to make it an easier decision for me...

> Better passenger accommodations - especially on the GTL, but optional on the GT. They need a killer top case trunk with a FULL backrest like the Goldwing has. I'd still want it to be removable though. Also an option of rear running boards for the passenger foot rest. Getting folks to view the 1600's as a true two-up alternate for Goldwing owners is a tough task.

> Power/Economy mode like my Concours has. I am also in the process of building said modes for my Ninja 1000 using a Power Commader V and Auto tune. I've already picked up 5 mpg at cruise on that bike without getting anywhere near a dangerous A/F ratio at cruise throttle openings/rpm. I get about 15% better economy on the Concours in "ECO" mode.

> Offer a lighter version of the GT. Just some random thoughts on how to get there - single-side Akrapovic exhaust, ability to order individual options instead of packages that give you stuff you don't want to get what you do want (if this is available now I have not figured it out yet).

> Offer about 20 more hp on the GT. I think a further differentiation of the GT vs GTL would be good anyway.

> They screwed up by not working with Garmin on one of the 5" screen Navs. Time to fix that mistake.
2011 Ninja 1000
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Offer a GTL without having to get all the chrome bits with it. (Just put down 500 bucks at the dealer to get rid of it all!)

Offer an adjustable height seat for the GTL like is available on the GT.

Add individual level adjustments for the built in Alpine Unit.

Make some carbon fiber goodies while your at it.

2012 BMW K1600GTL #1111 For Sale $21,000 OBO loaded, GT exhaust, GT Bars, GT windscreen. Brand new Michelin PR3 tires.

IBA Member #54293
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I'm not an owner yet, but as a potential owner here is what I would like to see to make it an easier decision for me...

> Better passenger accommodations - especially on the GTL, but optional on the GT. They need a killer top case trunk with a FULL backrest like the Goldwing has. I'd still want it to be removable though. Also an option of rear running boards for the passenger foot rest. Getting folks to view the 1600's as a true two-up alternate for Goldwing owners is a tough task.

> Power/Economy mode like my Concours has. I am also in the process of building said modes for my Ninja 1000 using a Power Commader V and Auto tune. I've already picked up 5 mpg at cruise on that bike without getting anywhere near a dangerous A/F ratio at cruise throttle openings/rpm. I get about 15% better economy on the Concours in "ECO" mode.

> Offer a lighter version of the GT. Just some random thoughts on how to get there - single-side Akrapovic exhaust, ability to order individual options instead of packages that give you stuff you don't want to get what you do want (if this is available now I have not figured it out yet).

> Offer about 20 more hp on the GT. I think a further differentiation of the GT vs GTL would be good anyway.

> They screwed up by not working with Garmin on one of the 5" screen Navs. Time to fix that mistake.
Agree +
- A real radar operated cruise control like on the BMW cars
- HUD
- light inside side bags would be nice.
- keyless ignition
A bt microphone behind the rear fender so one could listen to the exhaust would be perfect

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com App
Remus headers
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman_K1600GT View Post
Agree +
- A real radar operated cruise control like on the BMW cars
- HUD
- light inside side bags would be nice.
- keyless ignition
A bt microphone behind the rear fender so one could listen to the exhaust would be perfect

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com App
I'm a believer that there are no wrong answers to threads like this because everyone want's what they want. But I have keyless ignition on my Concours and I'm glad to not be getting another one. It works ok, but it's one more thing to go wrong (and has for a number of owners early on). But keeping track of the FOB can be a bigger pain in the butt than a traditional key.

But like I said no wrong answers. BTW, all of my cars are keyless, but there are different advantages on a car.
2011 Ninja 1000
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
ryk

Just FYI, the radio does have AM. Still sounds crappy though.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
cdc

Not owing one yet.. but as jjscsix said, it would be nice to be able to choose individual options and not packages.

And Norseman_K1600GT's microphone idea is even better!

Integrated additional low lights and a decent horn would also be on my list.

'13 K1600 GT - Apr. 5/13
'12 K1600 GT Gone Nov 16/12 - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79324
'06 FJR 1300AE Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650 Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500 Sold
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryk View Post
Just FYI, the radio does have AM. Still sounds crappy though.
Can you give me detailed instructions on how to get to am? I've tried everything I can see and no joy. Is it a European only thing possibly??

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
Can you give me detailed instructions on how to get to am? I've tried everything I can see and no joy. Is it a European only thing possibly??

Did you try reading the manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement