» Forum Search
BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums (http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/)
-   BMW K1600 Lighting / Electrical (http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/)
-   -   Darla LED Install (http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/12202-darla-led-install.html)

RL Lemke 03-19-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldLL (Post 165250)
So RL did you keep the OEM auxiliary lights in place? You have the Darlas and the OEM or did you remove the OEM altogether

I have the GT, so no BMW add-on lights. Started a thread on it a very long time ago: http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...ed-lights.html

larry 03-19-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL Lemke (Post 162682)
dpancerz connected the power to his PDM and a common ground. I connected to my power and ground which I have in the front of the bike. This big power supply goes back to a switched relay under the seat.

So, neither of us used the supplied relay.

Just received my Darlas, read the instructions, can't wait to get home. I have a PDM60 installed on the bike. What is not clear to me is how to alter the wiring instructions to use the PDM60. Can someone help an electrically challenged soul, alter the wiring instructions for the PDM60 ?

dpancerz 03-19-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry (Post 165594)
Just received my Darlas, read the instructions, can't wait to get home. I have a PDM60 installed on the bike. What is not clear to me is how to alter the wiring instructions to use the PDM60. Can someone help an electrically challenged soul, alter the wiring instructions for the PDM60 ?

No doubt RL will chime in here. This is what we did last weekend with my Darla install. I too, have a PDM60.

Inside the box the Darla's were shipped is a zip lock bag containing the wiring harness that includes a relay and fuse. Bottom line, with the PDM60 you won't be using this. Your PDM60 is both a relay and fuse, right? That's why you spent so much money on it. :)

RL gave me some heavy solid copper wire (red & black) to run from my PDM60 (under the seat) up to the front of the bike where I tied in to the lights themselves. The solid red wire went to a 15amp circuit on the PDM60. I chose one that shuts off immediately when I turn off the bike. The solid black wire goes to your battery or a common ground if you have one. Wiring the lights, volume control knob (dimmer), and the white wire to the high beam are done exactly as the installation manual states.

A couple of caveats and hints:

1. The install manual imparts that you must remove your windshield. Not so. Just power up the bike and raise it to access the two screws you need to remove. This is a wasted and unnecessary step.

2. The install manual suggests placement of the dimmer on your handlebars. I really didn't care for that location so I mounted mine above the audio controls. Believe RL posted a pic of that earlier. If you choose this cleaner spot to install the dimmer, be careful of where you drill. I found the most room was directly above the T25 screw. Also, remove the metal bracket surrounding the dimmer as it's no longer needed. Measure twice and cut once!

Best of luck. It really isn't that arduous of an install.

dpancerz 03-19-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engstrom (Post 164570)
And to be a bit more clear, this is how I was thinking of mounting the brackets assuming they'll fit and have adequate clearance.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/v...psb116af76.jpg

RL and I mounted the lights both ways and decided upon the picture above. With the "L" shaped bracket flipped the other way the lights were splayed out to the side with no adequate adjustability. Mount them with the bracket facing down and you'll see. Takes less than two minutes and you'll understand what I'm talking about. The pic above is the way to go!

larry 03-19-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpancerz (Post 165626)
No doubt RL will chime in here. This is what we did last weekend with my Darla install. I too, have a PDM60.

Inside the box the Darla's were shipped is a zip lock bag containing the wiring harness that includes a relay and fuse. Bottom line, with the PDM60 you won't be using this. Your PDM60 is both a relay and fuse, right? That's why you spent so much money on it. :)

RL gave me some heavy solid copper wire (red & black) to run from my PDM60 (under the seat) up to the front of the bike where I tied in to the lights themselves. The solid red wire went to a 15amp circuit on the PDM60. I chose one that shuts off immediately when I turn off the bike. The solid black wire goes to your battery or a common ground if you have one. Wiring the lights, volume control knob (dimmer), and the white wire to the high beam are done exactly as the installation manual states.

A couple of caveats and hints:

1. The install manual imparts that you must remove your windshield. Not so. Just power up the bike and raise it to access the two screws you need to remove. This is a wasted and unnecessary step.

2. The install manual suggests placement of the dimmer on your handlebars. I really didn't care for that location so I mounted mine above the audio controls. Believe RL posted a pic of that earlier. If you choose this cleaner spot to install the dimmer, be careful of where you drill. I found the most room was directly above the T25 screw. Also, remove the metal bracket surrounding the dimmer as it's no longer needed. Measure twice and cut once!

Best of luck. It really isn't that arduous of an install.

Thanks for the quick responce,seems like the PDM60 simplifies the install.:gm

larry 03-19-2013 12:33 PM

Additional question

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry (Post 165770)
Thanks for the quick responce,seems like the PDM60 simplifies the install.:gm

I also have a Stebel Nautilus horn wired directly to the battery with a relay. Can this wiring be cleaned up by utilizing the PDM60 and eliminating the relay, and an extra wire to the positive battery terminal ?

1K GS 03-19-2013 01:14 PM

Larry, Use the smaller red wire off your PDM for your Darlas. A 14 gauge stranded wire will do and is much easier to deal with. Your PDM instructions will show you the red circuit #4 wire is rated 15 amps and instant off, No delay.

cbdane 03-19-2013 01:34 PM

I'm running my Darlas from a 5A PDM60 channel. Both together at full tilt are well under 4A so it's a perfect fit. Remember, the smallest fuse that does the job provides the best equipment protection. Bigger is not better. You can save your 15A channels for heated gear, etc. if you'd like. Solid wire isn't generally recommended in vehicle applications due to the risk of mechanical fatigue but is probably okay in a low vibe bike like the K16, as long as you don't routinely reposition or reroute it. Stranded is safer.

1K GS 03-19-2013 01:41 PM

I was not sure of the "draw" of the darlas. Thanks for the update.

larry 03-19-2013 02:29 PM

Really appreciate all the feedback