Access point for switched 12VDC near handlebars - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeP
  • 2 Post By ResQU

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Access point for switched 12VDC near handlebars

Wondering if anyone has any advice for an access point for switched power to wire in a 12VDC USB lead to power/charge my cell phone when it is in my RAM X-Grip mount in the handlebars (mounted at steering head roundel)? I currently don't have a FUZE block or any power distribution module installed.

I would like to permanently wire the USB cable in. Should I try to access the rear of the aux 12VDC socket in the right side panel?

Thanks

~ Boneman
2011 K1600GTL
Motorcycle Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Garage
USB Power

Boneman,

The photo’s in this link show where I installed my USB ( BMW K1600 TechMount ). The device can be a single or double USB source ( https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-C...USB+motorcycle ). Some have positioned it down on the left side by the opening for the steering column. I have it connected to my PDM 60. Best,

Doc
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, but I'm needing an actual switched 12vdc wire/access point(s) near the front of the bike to connect my USB cable to (e.g. headlight wire, ignition wire, etc.). I guess the USB cable will probably be long enough that the access point could be pretty much anywhere. Just want to know where to tap into.

BTW, why do you have two sat navs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyculb View Post
Boneman,

The photo’s in this link show where I installed my USB ( BMW K1600 TechMount ). The device can be a single or double USB source ( https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-C...USB+motorcycle ). Some have positioned it down on the left side by the opening for the steering column. I have it connected to my PDM 60. Best,

Doc

~ Boneman
2011 K1600GTL
Motorcycle Instructor

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Garage
A few have used the low beam head light wire as a switched wire (search for CBDanes' driving lights). I wouldn't use that as the power, only use it as a switch for a relay (too many amps pulled will cause a fault). Run power from the battery to a relay. The headlight power could act as the switch to turn on the relay; then, relay (switched power) to your usb charger.
Boneman likes this.

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post

I would like to permanently wire the USB cable in. Should I try to access the rear of the aux 12VDC socket in the right side panel?
Thanks
Why not just use the USB outlet in the lower storage box. It's switched power supply. I wouldn't leave the phone in there, but a long enough cable routed up along the fairing to your mount would work easy... Leaves the wires intact incase you change your set up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	75202  
Meese and ricky holco like this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 AM

You will find it hard to find switched DC at that area on modern CAN Bus (Controller Area Network) systems. The wires & clusters are VERY tight & small and generally carry 3-5 vdc data only.
As others suggested, relay off the headlight or fish an extended USB cable from the lower right glove box.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page