a second BMW Nav cradle - wonderwheel control - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 AM

For those of you that have done this, what's your impression of the robustness of the cradle? Does it hold up to frequent inserting and removing the GPS? There would be many times when leaving the bike outside that I'd want to snap it out and tuck it in a side case and then put it back when I ride away. Also, if I did that, how does the cradle hold up sitting out in the weather with no GPS attached to it?

Brent, I like what you've done with wiring it to accept the GPS in either location. I could see leaving the Nav in the dash for my commute and riding around home (for the reasons above) and swapping it closer for my long multi-day rides - possibly as a second GPS for flexibility. There's been times when it would be nice to have a big view map and a close up map available at the same time when I'm somewhere unfamiliar. So that begs the question, if I have say a Nav 4 in one location and a Nav 5 in the other, would it confuse the bike to have your wiring harness or do I just leave one of the units disconnected from the bike?

Thanks for a great tip and explanation!

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (for the off-road ADVs)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

I've always preferred my GPS between the bars, did this on my old GTs and my GS. As Brent points out, the location and angle of the screen pretty much solves the glare problem.

The only reason I kept the GPS in the stock location was security, the convenience of leaving everything in place when riding to work or stopping for lunch has been a goal after years of having to put things away every time I stopped on my other bikes.

Being able to have two connectors wired in parallel is the perfect solution. Put it between the bars for touring and use the stock location for urban rides and commuting.

Thanks Brent, you rock.

Too many bikes, too many forums, too little time.
15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
08 F800GS
post #13 of 40 Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenman View Post
I don't understand y a lot of you guys don't want to mount the gps where Bmw intended to be.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
For me, when I move it, it will be so I can see it most of the time. In it's present location in the console, I rely mostly on the audio.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida

post #14 of 40 Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM

For you handlebar-mount guys that are worried about security, you might wanna look at how the GPS is mounted on the new GS-W.

There is a GPS Baseplate (part # 7 in the pic below) that provides a locking function using a standard BMW key cylinder (part # 12). This works by covering the top of the GPS cradle so that when you push the release lever, the release latch can't move up and the GPS stays in place. A simple twist of the bike's key and the GPS releases as normal.

You'd have to look at clearance issues for your handlebar mount, particularly in the lower left corner where the key is, but it might add the basic security that you guys are looking for in a very convenient way.

What I do is just keep my half cover handy, and cover the bike anytime I don't want prying eyes staring at it . . .

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #15 of 40 Old 10-22-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
So that begs the question, if I have say a Nav 4 in one location and a Nav 5 in the other, would it confuse the bike to have your wiring harness or do I just leave one of the units disconnected from the bike?
That's a very good question. Unfortunately, I sold my IV just a few days before the V arrived so I wasn't able to do the test. I suspect there might be conflicts in the bus communication. Not sure though. The safest and simplest (and least expensive) route would be a standard Zumo 660 cradle between the bars if you contemplated running both at the same time.
post #16 of 40 Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
That's a very good question. Unfortunately, I sold my IV just a few days before the V arrived so I wasn't able to do the test. I suspect there might be conflicts in the bus communication. Not sure though. The safest and simplest (and least expensive) route would be a standard Zumo 660 cradle between the bars if you contemplated running both at the same time.
Does the cradle on the bus have an address? How does the messaging work, is it pub/sub or is it just blind broadcast? I assume the latter. I also assume the cradle does not have an address, but instead is just looking for specific messages on the bus. If that's the case, two (or more) cradles would work fine, but the same wheel action would be directed to all the cradles at the same time, which would probably not be what the user wants (assuming the cradle doesn't eat the message, in which case the wheel would control only one cradle, most likely the one on the bus closest to the wheel wiring).
post #17 of 40 Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
I also assume the cradle does not have an address, but instead is just looking for specific messages on the bus. If that's the case, two (or more) cradles would work fine, but the same wheel action would be directed to all the cradles at the same time, which would probably not be what the user wants
Pretty sure that's how it works, using the model of the CANbus, which I'm familiar with. Both units would respond to a control command with unpredictable results. For example, a "Zoom +" command can mean different things from zoom the map to answer the phone, depending on the context. Sounds like it would be very confusing.
Quote:
(assuming the cradle doesn't eat the message, in which case the wheel would control only one cradle, most likely the one on the bus closest to the wheel wiring).
Speed of electrons in copper being what it is, I don't think one device could detect and "eat" a bus broadcast before another one records the event. The complicated part that might cause some concern, however, is broadcasts from the Nav(s) back to the bike, e.g. the current time to set the bike's clock. The bike is probably just looking for a given packet header and there would just be twice as many as usual so, thinking about, maybe less of a problem.

If you wanted to run two units, taking one off of the bus would be the best bet. Both cradles could still be fully functional LINbus-connected but you could just apply a small dot of electrical tape to the LINbus contact (a single pad) on the back of the Nav you didn't want to respond to remote commands. You might want to insulate the audio-out pad as well.

My head hurts. I'm thinking I'll stick with one Nav.
post #18 of 40 Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Speed of electrons in copper being what it is, I don't think one device could detect and "eat" a bus broadcast before another one records the event.
I didn't mean eat, literally. I'm not familiar with the CANbus protocol, so I didn't know if devices on the bus are responsible for re-transmitting the packet or not (e.g. as is the case with Ethernet). Now that I think about it, however, I guess without device addresses, that's impossible anyhow, so, yeah just ignore that part of my post. :-)
post #19 of 40 Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
If Brent can get you a set of waterproof plugs, we can wire it up for you down here in SoCal . . .

Or we could just move your existing cradle . . .
Thank you much for the offer. I will call Brent for a favor.
post #20 of 40 Old 01-25-2014, 10:16 AM

Hardwire microphone connection

Quote:
Below, you see a photo of the stock BMW OEM cradle which I ordered from my dealer: 77 52 7 721 941. As it is supplied, it is fitted with two separate plugs; a 2 pin and a 3 pin for a total of 5 wires in the harness.
I have seen pictures of the zumo 660 harness with a 2.5 mm female plug for hardwire connection of a phone microphone. Are one of the 5 wires to the Nav IV harness a hardwire mic connection? I am still trying to figure a way to route radar detector audio through the Nav IV into the K1600 com system. Is splicing the RD audio into a wire in the Nav IV harness a possibility?

Al

K1600GTL
K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page