a second BMW Nav cradle - wonderwheel control - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 03-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
It sounds like we completely agree on the first point of my post: most won't want to do this. Just trying to provide a helpful response to the requests that I have received on how I did it. On the other hand, I'm way too big of a nerd to ride a chopper so, diff'rent strokes.
I really hate factory GPS location.
equipmentdude likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-07-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymarlboroman View Post
Am I reading something wrong, or is this the wrong picture that goes with the text?
The image was taken from the Max BMW Parts fiche. Sometimes, they move images around and break external links . . .

Try this pic instead. The GPS Baseplate is part # 11 and the standard BMW key cylinder is part # 17.

Ken
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .

Last edited by Meese; 03-07-2015 at 10:43 PM.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 AM

? for Meese & 75CptRet. Reading both your posts, 10/17/13, I'm curios about sound quality & ease of operation with xm/sirius on the 665. I traded for a new GT & bought a NAV 5. So far I listen to Pandora & Spotify with cord from iphone4 to SRC pro helmet set. I only ride single & don't miss the sorry sound from the sirius radio on my GTL. I'm in the process of putting all my old cd's on a sd card to listen through the NAV, challenge for me. If the sound quality of the 665 sat radio is good, I might like to ad one or some other sat radio option. Appreciate any feedback.

Lyle

post #34 of 42 Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylegtl View Post
? for Meese & 75CptRet. Reading both your posts, 10/17/13, I'm curios about sound quality & ease of operation with xm/sirius on the 665. I traded for a new GT & bought a NAV 5. So far I listen to Pandora & Spotify with cord from iphone4 to SRC pro helmet set. I only ride single & don't miss the sorry sound from the sirius radio on my GTL. I'm in the process of putting all my old cd's on a sd card to listen through the NAV, challenge for me. If the sound quality of the 665 sat radio is good, I might like to ad one or some other sat radio option. Appreciate any feedback.

Lyle

I use the 665 on both my 1600( separate mount) and 1200 paired to a Sena 20S. Separate Sirius/XM antenna on each bike. The sound quality is excellent. I gave up on the 1600 sound quality long ago.

Gary
2012 K1600GT Red #842
2013 R1200GSW
2013 HD Superglide
post #35 of 42 Old 04-20-2015, 05:21 PM

So is there a part number for the cradle that has the lock on it?
post #36 of 42 Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 AM

Just bought a Garmin 665lm, my GT came with no Alpine/Sirius. I have a NAV 5 & want to keep it in stock dash location. I have a ram ball in center of my Heli horizon bars where I'm mounting the 665. I'm using the mounting cradle that came with it for a motorcycle. My question is: Where is the best place to connect the 2 wires red/black. I tend to go straight to the battery, want to do a neater install & maintain any functional advantages if any. Help please!

Lyle
post #37 of 42 Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 AM

Garage
I think I ran the hot wire to the little red wire behind the left headlight. Ground went back there too, I believe.
One thing, though, if you use that wire for the hot, there is about a minute delay to turn off, after turning off the key.
Easy to get to if you remove the speaker cover and housing. Used a couple of posi-taps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylegtl View Post
Just bought a Garmin 665lm, my GT came with no Alpine/Sirius. I have a NAV 5 & want to keep it in stock dash location. I have a ram ball in center of my Heli horizon bars where I'm mounting the 665. I'm using the mounting cradle that came with it for a motorcycle. My question is: Where is the best place to connect the 2 wires red/black. I tend to go straight to the battery, want to do a neater install & maintain any functional advantages if any. Help please!

Lyle
post #38 of 42 Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 PM

Thanks, I installed Darla's today. No speakers so it will be easy to examine there tomorrow. Did you have to splice or cut a wire to integrate it, or is there a free wire dangling in there somewhere?
post #39 of 42 Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 PM

Garage
post #40 of 42 Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM

Garage
Kradellock

Quote:
So is there a part number for the cradle that has the lock on it?
Just dug up and read through this old thread after posting about it earlier and noticed folks talking about security of the GPS and having to remove it.

Install one of these between the mount and the GPS cradle and the GPS is locked in place. I bought one to use on the C650 with a Garmin 590, and moved it to the S1000R. It's solid and I have no worries about GPS security.

Kradellock by Robert Becker Design | Motorcycle GPS Locking Mount

Granted, I haven't used this with my NavV on the K1600, but I'd bet the Zumo 660 version would work just fine since the cradle is the same.

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page