Hi-Beam (H7) LED Conversion/ the truth, rev8... - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 195Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Forgot to asked, How is the fitment? And did you get any error codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebob View Post
Topspeed,
Are you going to leave one side halogen and the othe led for testing?
That way you can do what the eye doctors do, cover one side, see how it looks.
Cover the other side see how it looks. Best way to get a side by side comparison?
I will do that, with a towel as the dowser. A/B it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZname View Post
Forgot to asked, How is the fitment? And did you get any error codes?
Some fit, some not even close. Depends on how big the fan unit is... and if you want to have the dust caps correctly on. I chose the later (finally).

Will update.

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
2017 Rides: MOA Ride-in Plans (Salt Lake City, UT)
post #13 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
The company I work for makes equipment that uses LEDs for illumination. LEDs can do a great job, but they need different focusing optics than conventional light bulbs. The headlight reflector needs to be designed to match the light source that is being used. You can't put any other bulb in there, be it an LED or a bulb with a filament and get the intended result, unless the new source is positioned in the same place as the original, and also disburses light around the reflector in the same way as the bulb for which the reflector was designed. That means that it is unlikely that a drop-in LED replacement bulb will yield the same results as the original bulb, unless the LED manufacturer can simulate the optical characteristics of the original bulb precisely, which due to the heat sinking requirements of high power LEDs, and the fact that LEDs emit light out of only one side, as opposed to all around like a light bulb filament, will be very difficult.

The various cars and motorcycles that are now available with LED headlights are only succesful because they are using optics designed to work with LEDs. The same is true of after-market auxiliary LED lights from places such as Clearwater. Those reflectors you see surrounding each individual LED in a Clearwater light are each designed to work with the specific LEDs being used, because that's what they have to do to get the great results they are getting.

Cree makes excellent high power LEDs, but I suspect they expect the bulbs they are selling to be used in new installations with optics designed specifically for them, not to retrofit existing headlight bulbs.
Well, most of this was disclosed in the original post.

But if you want to get more in-depth on this....

As far as LED's being built for a certain enclosure and/or reflector, well, this goes without saying, and, hence my (almost) rant and my pointing out the Cree's distance to the reflector etc. I even posted an image of this for that reason.

One huge thing you failed to color-in is why LED's (in housings made for LED's) are so successful (like Erica's, Darla's etc) ....vs these 3rd party aftermarket fitted ones. (drum roll......) the #1 reason....

Heat disbursement!

Focusing w correct housing is right up there of course, but none of this is possible without the Hi-Powered LED's, and they won't work without controlling or getting rid of the heat.

Hi-powered LED's do put out some heat, not a lot per-say or what we are use to, but LED's themselves have a much smaller tolerance to heat. So when a housing/fixture is built from scratch for Hi-Power LED, it's done the correct way -along- with the focusing compliment that you (and I prior) mentioned. Main difference, the proper heat-sinks, fans etc. to get the output lumen's needed.

My application (post#1); max lumens per LED watt is almost 100. So for every watt of LED power, you get just shy of 100 lumens. This is the maximum efficiency out there right now. The one's I'm using are 3600lm, draw 40w as mentioned in post#1.

On a grand scale of LED. My neighboring Syracuse (NY); Ephesus Corp. is making all the Hi-Powered LED's for the new Vikings Stadium in Minnesota, due to open in 2016. The field lighting, which normally was handled by Metal Halides in other Stadiums, now has finally come of age to LED!. I think Arizona has retrofitted some of their MH's to LED, but as far as ground up, and 100% built and designed for it, this gem of a Stadium will be King.

Graphite Metallic

post #14 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM

Top Speed_1-

I recently scored a set of HID's from Diode Dynamics, who purports to make a higher quality, better outfitted HID for cars and bikes. They came complete with a capacitor, the appropriate resistors, HID cancellor, and a waterproof HD 30A relay so they could be separately powered from the battery. I brought up all of the concerns mentioned on this forum and in this thread, and DD still contends that it will be no problem to use this set of H7 HID's for the high beams (including taking into account the issue of quickly turning them on and off as a possible cause of early HID death).

I will report back after I do the conversion, and we shall see.

Best,

Dave R.

2015 Space age alloy-based 1,649cc inline six cylinder powered (K-48 series) sport touring (GT) motorcycle by Bayerische Motoren Werke, in HOK Burple and Stark White.

" The cure for Skinny, Uncomfortable Grips "
post #15 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackjack View Post
Top Speed_1-

I recently scored a set of HID's from Diode Dynamics, who purports to make a higher quality, better outfitted HID for cars and bikes. They came complete with a capacitor, the appropriate resistors, HID cancellor, and a waterproof HD 30A relay so they could be separately powered from the battery. I brought up all of the concerns mentioned on this forum and in this thread, and DD still contends that it will be no problem to use this set of H7 HID's for the high beams (including taking into account the issue of quickly turning them on and off as a possible cause of early HID death).

I will report back after I do the conversion, and we shall see.

Best,

Dave R.
Hey Brotha Dave, what's up!? and, are you going to any of my organized meets? (SW Ohio Ramble or the Penn-Run). Hopefully you'll BE there!!!

On the HID's. I've converted almost 20 sets so far on all my different stuff, and friends. I've had the best luck with the Phillips/Osram capsule-ballast combo. I actually have tried 4 different sets in my K16 (H7 HB) as well.... None worked to my satisfaction for the HB. In fact, some didn't work at all with the voltage flux. And yes, I've tried AC ballasts, DC, all digital, error correcting etc etc...

The set that finally worked for me, still did not "lamp-up" quick enough for (my) needs. I like to use my HB's as flashers as well, so I expect more of an immediate impact (like the LED does have). And before anyone tries to tell me how HID works by exciting the gas blah blah, I know all about it. I own Vari-Lights (Stage Lighting) that uses the technology now and for over 20 years.

Post up yur results however Dave, I always need some R&D partners

-KJ

Graphite Metallic
post #16 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 05:26 PM

Very good thread. We grow a LOT of diodes and diodes wafers for various customers so this stuff is always cool. It's funny we grow them, ship to China to be assembled or used in things, then they come back to me in products like iPhones, LED lights or really any small electronics.

I can't wait to get a usable HID or LED lighting in the hi-beams. Thank you.

Danny Muchmore
post #17 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmore View Post
Very good thread. We grow a LOT of diodes and diodes wafers for various customers so this stuff is always cool. It's funny we grow them, ship to China to be assembled or used in things, then they come back to me in products like iPhones, LED lights or really any small electronics.

I can't wait to get a usable HID or LED lighting in the hi-beams. Thank you.
Ya...make those Amtrak trains a little easier to see
post #18 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMB View Post
Ya...make those Amtrak trains a little easier to see
Oh ha ha Tom... one of the few guys to look better in the dark.

Danny Muchmore
post #19 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 06:17 PM

Very cool.....

I'll have to remember this when I attend my first Vikings game. :gm
Minnesota boy ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
On a grand scale of LED. My neighboring Syracuse (NY); Ephesus Corp. is making all the Hi-Powered LED's for the new Vikings Stadium in Minnesota, due to open in 2016. The field lighting, which normally was handled by Metal Halides in other Stadiums, now has finally come of age to LED!. I think Arizona has retrofitted some of their MH's to LED, but as far as ground up, and 100% built and designed for it, this gem of a Stadium will be King.

-Brian
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
post #20 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM

That youtube video was scary. Can't wait to see if there's a way around this. BTW, I don't get why would you be so bent on keeping the back of the headlight covers intact? I think these parts should be relatively cheap, and as long as whatever you have to do is well done, why would you (or a potential buyer) care?

It seems to me that I'd replace the speakers and fit high powered Erika's or Olivia's there, no? :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page