Hi-Beam (H7) LED Conversion/ the truth, rev8... - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 195Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 692 Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM

Top_speed, I don't disagree with anything you said. I guess my point, which I didn't make clearly, is that I'm not optimistic that there will ever be a drop-in LED replacement for a filament bulb that works half as well as a lighting system designed specifically for LEDs.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to be proven wrong though. One thing I wish my K16 had is LED high beams. I'll continue watching your tests with interest.

2015 GT
Long Island N.Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Top_speed, I don't disagree with anything you said. I guess my point, which I didn't make clearly, is that I'm not optimistic that there will ever be a drop-in LED replacement for a filament bulb that works half as well as a lighting system designed specifically for LEDs.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to be proven wrong though. One thing I wish my K16 had is LED high beams. I'll continue watching your tests with interest.
This will come in time for all new bikes but most likely will not be retrofit able.

Loveland, Colorado
2014 K1600GTL-E
2015 Lexus NX FSport
2015 R1200RTP
post #23 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Of the lighting options out there, I've used the old incandescent, halogen, HID and LED. Numerous varieties and wattage of each. Different versions of the last three in my car. My preference is for the light offered by the LEDs, both CREE and now Phillips LMZ 45 watt bulbs.

This is because of the even light dispersion with even color across the field of view. While the 35 and 50 watt HID bulbs I have used did pump out the lumens, there is a hot spot and color shift, let alone the long warm-up time.

I suspect that the nature of the LED light is what makes the illumination seem different. Until we here in the US are able to have laser automotive lighting, LED is tops for my night travel.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
Son of the American Revolution

post #24 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

The difficulty with nearly all LED H7 replacement bulbs is the fitting into the small space under the waterproof cover.

The high power LEDs have a ballast similar to HID lights.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society

Last edited by RL Lemke; 04-01-2015 at 08:35 AM.
post #25 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

In the mean time, we have the Clearwater Sevina LED light to blast a path thru the night.

amorley likes this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
post #26 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buerkletucson View Post
Very cool.....

I'll have to remember this when I attend my first Vikings game. :gm
Minnesota boy ya know.
Maybe I'll be making a trek over to see a game or two myself. I loved the area last year at the MOA Nationals. The people were the most friendly I ever encountered.

SKOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamA Motor Rid3r View Post
That youtube video was scary. Can't wait to see if there's a way around this. BTW, I don't get why would you be so bent on keeping the back of the headlight covers intact? I think these parts should be relatively cheap, and as long as whatever you have to do is well done, why would you (or a potential buyer) care?

It seems to me that I'd replace the speakers and fit high powered Erika's or Olivia's there, no? :-)
I wanna keep the covers intact and on mainly keep the dust, dirt and moisture out of the entire headlight housing. Drilling a big hole for the fan and then using "plumbers" putty around it was not my idea of a slick install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNO View Post
..it's like a carbon arc Super Trooper spot light. Okay, you probably have no idea what I'm yapping about...

ABBA fans everywhere know exactly what you mean. ;
Ahhh.... "Diggit the dancing queen".
The Sound & Stage Lighting Co. that I own has done many of large or famous bands and acts. Abba just happened to be one of them, albeit it was just a one night gig at the Geneva (NY) Theater one hot summer night. One of the members was from Ithaca NY, and so Hobart College booked them along with us doing the Sound & Lighting (mostly Par64's back then, in 1K watt ea.) If I remember correctly, it was an 120 Par (can) contract. Not huge, but plenty good enough. Back-then, our milestones were Show-Co, then on tour w VanHalen boasting 800 1K Pars! Rush was right up there also, but again, we didn't have those guys under contract

"Spin Doctors" was one of later bands we toured with. My brother and I who owned the Co. (never could keep a relationship g/f or wife b/c of this) eventually hibernated it. I still have truck loads of equipment, including the high powered lasers. We don't wanna sell it, guess it's memories. I have pulled some of it for some smaller gigs now & then.

I did mention...Better halves hate this business? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
The difficulty with nearly all LED H7 replacement bulbs is the fitting into the small space under the waterproof cover.

The high power LEDs have a ballast similar to HID lights.

Space is tight considering the fan. BUT!, I have found a few that fit. The 3600lm one I have in now is crazy mad bright [in the garage!], and doing the A/B (towel dowser) between the halogen and the 40w LED, it's not even close.

The real test is teh light coverage out in the streets. Yes that FJR video says it all, but my lamp is also twice the output of his, PLUS!... there is an issue with the "pod" that goes around dual beam LED's (or HID's). This tries to fool the light beam to the down part of the reflector. In doing so, a lot of efficiency is lost. I have tried 3 pairs of these Hi/Lo's in my snowmobiles, with slacking results so far.

Nothing however has been so bright as these H7's I've currently go in. So, I'm hoping they pass my road test.

TBC

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
2017 Rides: MOA Ride-in Plans (Salt Lake City, UT)
post #27 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that matching the halogen filament position with the LED emitter is critical for matching the lighting placement.

What concerns me most is how my eyes are able to use the nigh time illumination. Cameras and camcorders "see" differently than my eyes. We saw this well demonstrated when conducting the Big Dallas LED Comparison test. the photos just didn't convey what our eyes saw.

Anyway, I have two different LED orientations in my car, and will be driving 500 miles at night. This will allow me to compare the effect of the orientation, and illumination.

What I have noticed so many times riding is that one must be careful to not have a hot illumination spot because your eyes adjust to the bright spot, denying adequate vision outside that hot spot. Worse yet, when riding around a corner the hot spot is off somewhere you aren't riding, making a period of night blindness.

What I prefer is an even illumination, with a distant illumination of the retinas of road critters and especially deer.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
post #28 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

After seeing RL's image, it reminded me of another project I have in the works...

Upgrading the Halo (angel Eyes) LED chip. I'm playing with the idea of 10w LED, which should be about 5X the intensity of the current ones. This should make the Halo's DRL useful. Probably 5watt is more in reason however.

Here's my images of that project.....

Now if you look at the top, that is the LED diode. The first trick here is to have the board accept the higher powered LED, also still have headroom for the thermo disbersement in the heat sinks. I've tested this by using a laser heat gun (like what HVAC guys use). After 30mins of parking light-on, I can only see a 6F degree rise. I have to figure out the tolerance and headroom, but it seems like there is some. Well, enough for 5watt I'm sure, but a 10 may be pushing it.

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
2017 Rides: MOA Ride-in Plans (Salt Lake City, UT)
post #29 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
After seeing RL's image, it reminded me of another project I have in the works...

Upgrading the Halo (angel Eyes) LED chip. I'm playing with the idea of 10w LED, which should be about 5X the intensity of the current ones. This should make the Halo's DRL useful. Probably 5watt is more in reason however.

Here's my images of that project.....

Now if you look at the top, that is the LED diode. The first trick here is to have the board accept the higher powered LED, also still have headroom for the thermo disbersement in the heat sinks. I've tested this by using a laser heat gun (like what HVAC guys use). After 30mins of parking light-on, I can only see a 6F degree rise. I have to figure out the tolerance and headroom, but it seems like there is some. Well, enough for 5watt I'm sure, but a 10 may be pushing it.

Do the Euro spec bikes have brighter Halos?
If so, would it be as simple as switching out the module?
post #30 of 692 Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 AM

I believe those are completely different in that they're not a single LED dispersing light into the angel eye ring.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page