Hi-Beam (H7) LED Conversion/ the truth, rev8... - Page 51 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #501 of 506 Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 PM
smv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallzee View Post
It's hit and miss. I found some a couple weeks ago, and posted the link here. They disappeared quickly. The key is to keep an eye on Amazon, and look for the lights that look exactly like the recent ones that worked, and have the same specs. H7, 5000K, 120 watts (60 watts each). Look for H7, whether or not the bulb us described as "high" or "low" beam.
Thank you. That sums it up very nicely.

Has anyone poked around at their local, auto parts stores? I have some time to kill today[1] so I figured I'd go look around.

[1] Today was going to be the day I get a U-Haul trailer and drag the bike to a clear road to get my December ride done but I woke up this morning to everything covered in an inch of ice...

-Stephen!
--
Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 506 Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smv View Post
Thank you. That sums it up very nicely.

Has anyone poked around at their local, auto parts stores? I have some time to kill today[1] so I figured I'd go look around.

[1] Today was going to be the day I get a U-Haul trailer and drag the bike to a clear road to get my December ride done but I woke up this morning to everything covered in an inch of ice...
You may get lucky - but I doubt it. TopSpeed did a TON of research on this project (and it paid off for the rest of us ), through trial and error of many "H7" LEDs. The need is pretty specific.
kotr likes this.

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
post #503 of 506 Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 AM

So after more than a month on order I finally got a message from the seller asking if he can send a different style of bulb. Totally different design. The answer is no. So.....if you are buying from this seller on eBay beware vanterec-us.

post #504 of 506 Old 12-23-2016, 09:54 PM

At least he asked instead of just sending you what you did order.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #505 of 506 Old 12-27-2016, 06:05 PM

Garage
Just finished this conversion!

Bought the bulbs over six months ago but I have been out of the country so much I have not got around to swapping out the bulbs. Fiddly job but I removed the tabs from the transformer units and the fan units before installing. The hardest bit are those dumb clips that hold the bulb in place!

Very happy with the results so a big Thank You to TopSpeed for all the research you did in coming up with this solution.

Riding out to Stockton, AL on Thursday for the Last Ride of the Year so will have some lengthy night riding to test out these new high beams. If, as TopSpeed, estimates they are the same power as my Clearwater Ericas, I'll be projecting 24,000 Lumens on High Beam!
Hallzee and kotr like this.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and C4 Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
PDM60 and Clearwater Ericas, TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals.

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold but still in the family)
post #506 of 506 Old 12-30-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

You're much welcome, and well worth it for my friends here

If you want to see these same bulbs do a long distance more focused beam, while installing and power is hooked up and on, unhook the clip, pull the bulb back out a tad (like a 1/2") and watch on your garage wall the intense more narrower beam.

So as mentioned a few posts ago, there is room for long distance improvement and having this bright of light source gives us a chance to "throw" it further down the road.

Newbies who can't find this exact LED anymore?... post up a pic <here> and visually I can pretty much tell you whether or not it will work in our housing (effectively). The one thing I can't tell by looking at the LED and diode position is of course the actual (real) light intensity/luminosity. And please note, the Chinese are BIG liars when it comes to this! (or they just think us Amerks will buy anything because of their inflated wording).

I wish I had a nickle for everyone who PM'd me "I went with another set but they don't show on the road very well". Oh, and it says such n such lumens and watts, why aren't they very bright?"

Dang Chinese verbiage!

-KJ

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
2015 Rides: MOA K1600 Group (Billings MT)

Last edited by Top_Speed1; 12-30-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page