J & S lift, Pitbull lifts - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Default J & S lift, Pitbull lifts

Anyone use either one of these?
Pitbull Motorcycle Lifts Information

Big Wheel Motorcycle Lifts - J & S Jacks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #2

It would work OK for a frame with tubes running under the engine. Not really a good choice for our BMW's. We have exhaust and an oil pan on the bottom that could be damaged by this type of lift.

Western Mass.
K1600GTL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

Well, I do know it works on a Victory Vision, and a Cross Country, both use the engine as a stressed member, no frame rails. Does everyone just use a lift table? I don't really have the room for that.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
The Gov

I'm with Beekeeper. I still have one left over from another bike that I used to have. I would never consider using it on the GT.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

So nobody uses anything to lift the K1600? Looking at pictures I can see how the converters might be in the way, but like I said, this type of lift is used to lift a much heavier bike, the Victory Vision with no issues which also has no frame rails underneath.

Also, if you buy a ramp style lift, you still need an additional jack just to lift the bike if you are removing the wheels right? Where is that jack placed?

I'm just a little confused here.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to roadrider.dave

When I was working as mechanic on motorcycles in the 70's I had used the lift table for working on bikes about 80% of the time if not more, and if I remember correctly many of the bikes had the exhaust pipes running under the bikes as well. I know for me I would not be changing tires or doing things with this technology that I can quickly get into trouble with. I have been looking at some lift tables for doing most maintanaince myself, just makes the work easier when it's in the air of course.

I have used the lift jacks on bikes before but using blocks to of wood for the correct contact points. With the center stand, I am thinking I don't need a jack but just tilt the bike and block for either the rear or front wheel access for removal. When I do that, I stap the bike down for stability (especially when its on a lift table).
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctay View Post
So nobody uses anything to lift the K1600? Looking at pictures I can see how the converters might be in the way, but like I said, this type of lift is used to lift a much heavier bike, the Victory Vision with no issues which also has no frame rails underneath.

Also, if you buy a ramp style lift, you still need an additional jack just to lift the bike if you are removing the wheels right? Where is that jack placed?

I'm just a little confused here.
Handy Lift, it rocks.

There are some cheaper alternatives, I had one for a while, now my son has it, hydraulic foot pump actuated and a little dicey IMHO over 600 lbs. Worked OK with my RTs.

Kendon also makes one that is supposed to handle cruisers up to 1000 lbs and it can be stowed, not sure how stable it is.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

There are a lot of lifts available, Google is your friend.

Here is my Handy lift that I bought for San Jose BMW in the 70's and was given to me several years ago. Still works as good as new.

Founder of San Jose BMW
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

Now Phil, I have heard about Handy lifts, I know many dealers use them. But can you articulate to me why they are worth $400.00 more than others?

Now when you say "cheaper", do you mean simply "less expensive" for some of the other lifts that simply cost less?

And Dean, I have been googling, I even asked you the same question as I am asking Phil above in another thread here but got no answer. And again, how do you lift the bike again, once it's already on the lift, say to take the front tire off? A scissor jack or what? I see the second pic Dean has there it appears part of the table has actually removed. Is that one of the features unique to the Handy? What is holding the motorcycle down? Is the front tire fastened in some manner?

Also does the handly collapse far enough, and is the front chock removable easily so you could just drive over it when not in use? My garage is stuffed with 3 bikes, and two cars at this time and this might be the only way.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #10

Depending on what you need to do you can put it on the center stand, on or off a lift. There is another device simular to a scissors jack that can be used under the bike to support the bike if you were needing to remove the suspension. I have my Ducati on one now so I can remove the rear shock to gain access the the rear cylinder valve covers because it does not have a center stand. I use some wood blocks to support bike. Keep in mind this is not used to support the hole bike to work from. The bike still needs to be on the center stand or secured on a lift. You can see Deans bike above, on a lift while on the center stand.

Western Mass.
K1600GTL

Last edited by Beekeeper; 01-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement