BMW K1600 Forum banner

Final Drive Fluid Change

78K views 109 replies 47 participants last post by  Busted 
#1 ·
The fische callas for: FINAL-DRIVE GEAR OIL SAF-XO - OSP, 1000ML (LITRE)

Online, I see this description: OSP,TANKWAG. Synthetic final-drive oil (SAF-XO) for final drives without Multi-disc limited-slip differential and without EH limited- Slip differential, and for final drives with viscous limited- Slip differential.

Here is the Castrol info page: http://www.ge39.com/files/SAF_XO_SAF_XJ_B1174_96.pdf

Here is the Amsoil alternative: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

It looks easy enough to change myself. However, it appears that the rear wheel must be removed to easily get to the refill plug.

What I don't know is what is required maintenance for the Gore-Tex vent filter? Maybe nothing.

Since only a small 200cc volume of GL-5 gear lube is used, I think I will be changing more often than required.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, yes. That's why I added the link to the $14.25 (retail) for the top rated Amsoil gear lube.

I want to change the final drive fluid more often than the manual calls for, so I will stock-up on more Amsoil. But then, I use the same in my differentials and transfer case of my daily driver too.

I'm thankful that BMW made it appear to be much easier to change the final drive fluid, as compared to my 2007 R1200GSA.

#8 ·
Settled issue in the US, as long as the standards are met, the warranty is unaffected.

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2008_worried_over_warranties.pdf

If you are interested in using AMSOIL motor oil, but concerned that using a synthetic oil or extending your oil drain interval will void his warranty, you have no need for concern. Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals warranties remain intact when AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are used.

The law was meant to give consumers detailed information about warranty coverage before they buy.

Congress charged the Federal Trade Commission with creation of the specifics of the law.

The FTC set down three rules under the Act: the Disclosure Rule, the Pre-Sale Availability Rule and the Dispute Resolution Rule.

Those rules require warrantors to title their written warranty as either full or limited, provide a single, clear and easy-to-read document that spells out certain information about coverage and ensure that warranties are available where the products are sold so that consumers can read them before buying.

In passing the Act, Congress meant to give consumers access to warranty information, let consumers comparison shop for warranties, encourage warranty competition and promote timely and complete performance of warranty obligations.

While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not require manufacturers to provide a written warranty, it provides specific rules when one is provided. Among those provisions, FTC regulations state: (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. (15 U.S.C.2302(C))

That means your warranty stands when you use AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants.

Vehicle manufacturers recommend lubricants according to their viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it's conventional petroleum motor oil or synthetic, meeting the correct viscosity grade, 5W-30 for example, and the current API and ILSAC North American service classifications may be used without affecting warranty coverage. AMSOIL motor oils are recommended for use in applications requiring these specifications.

Furthermore, the practice of extending oil drain intervals does not void warranties. Original equipment manufacturers pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil didn't cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.

Synthetic motor oil was introduced to the automotive public in 1972 by AMSOIL, INC., with the world's first API rated synthetic motor oil specially formulated for long service and superior performance and protection to that of conventional oils.

Nearly 40 years ago, AMSOIL synthetics represented a vision of the future and technology ahead of their time. Since then, every major engine oil manufacturer has introduced synthetic oils of their own. To be sure, many original equipment manufacturers would like you to believe you can only use their products. However, it's a violation of the consumer protections set forth in the Magnuson-Moss Act, unless they're willing to provide you those products free of charge.

AMSOIL offers a warranty that covers the cost of repair or replacement of a proven mechanically sound engine damaged as a result of using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil.

AMSOIL further backs its products with action when a Dealer or customer reports being told their warranty is voided if they use synthetics.

If you have heard from any member of a business that the use of AMSOIL Motor Oil or the practice of extending drain intervals will void warranties, send AMSOIL all the details including the name of the business, business owner or manager and the individual making the claims, in a signed and dated letter. Send the letter to the Technical Services Department at corporate headquarters and an AMSOIL representative will send them a letter explaining the facts.

Access to the complete Magnuson-Moss Act is available on the Internet by key words Magnuson-Moss Act or Federal Trade Commission.

#10 ·
Here are the photos from the 1st final drive oil change.

180cc per BMW mechanic.

20 NM torque for both plugs.

Mechanic says the magnetic drain plug always has fuzz on it. We will see if that changes with Amsoil Shock Proof Gear Lube.

Slid rear tire out without messing with exhaust. Tight fit but works just fine.

The bottle comes from a hair salon store and is used for applying hair color. Measurements on bottle make getting the volume easy. Refill is a snap with this bottle.

O-rings on plugs, so no new washers or o-rings were used.

Attachments

#12 ·
How is the rear wheel removed? Does the shop drop the back end of the work table, or did they remove the rear fender? (4 screws, very quick to remove).

Thanks for the pics :gm I will add this to the D-I-Y Index Thread that I'm going to create soon.

#14 ·
180cc of gear lube is a tiny amount. I suspect that it would be prudent to change the FD fluid as often as the engine oil is changed. That is twice as often as the BMW Owners Manual calls for.

The K1600 makes a lot of torque. The front or rear differential in my vehicle, which makes say 3X the torque, holds 3.1 liters in back and 1.4 liters in front. The relatively tiny volume in the BMW FD concerns me.

#15 ·
RL, thanks for sharing the photo's and notes on the FD oil change...very helpful since BMW does not put any maintenance guidance in the manual. I agree that it seems like a very small amount of oil. I also ordered a healthy supply of Amsoil products. I've always wanted to try it but Mobil 1 has always been much easy to get your hands on. Advice, it you order Amsoil, I would suggest paying to become a member as you get up to a 25% discount. Price for a quart goes from ~ $11.15 to $8.36...compared with Mobil 1 (cycle) at ~ $11.99.

#18 ·
No & Yes

The service they provided was great. The only fault the BMW computer found was that I haven't turned-on Sirius yet. Maybe someday I'll do that. They got me in and out very quick. Nice since I was riding the bike.

#19 ·
I used a similar squeeze bottle as shown in earlier post to add the oil to rear diff. Because we only add 180ml, what I do is add a small amount to squeeze bottle and then squeeze out as much as I can. Then I add 180ml of gear oil (Amsoil) and squeeze it into rear diff. That way what remains in the bottle is the same as I started with so the full 180ml goes in.
A little anal but this is why I like working on my own bikes, I feel confident it was done exactly right, not just close enough.

#20 · (Edited)
Nice idea Bee, never thought of that one. I use a large hospital syringe with markings in ml. Fill up the syringe with 60ml three times and I'm done.

On an OCD note, I lean my bike over on the sidestand to remove as much gear oil as possible. Also, spin the rear wheel assembly by hand (using the brake rotor) and you'll be amazed at how much additional oil flows out.

Since I'm never in a hurry to perform an oil / final drive service I always let the fluids drip out overnight. Again, surprising how much more gear fluid comes out when you gently spin the rear wheel.

#21 ·
So. Does it hold 180 total?
Do you drain out 180 when it's on the center stand?
If it holds 180 total and you only get out 160 on the center stand and you add 180 that's 200..
Or if it holds 200 and you drain all 200 out by using the side stand method and add 180 your short.
my head hurts

#25 ·
Dealership procedure. The rear wheel made it easier to get to the FD fill plug. It also allowed a catch basin to be placed below the outfall, which would otherwise splash on the tire.

I don't see any way to get to the fill plug with the rear wheel on the bike.

#27 · (Edited)
Oil, filter, final drive, $202 and change, 1.5 hours. I dropped off the bike at the dealer, went to lunch, came back, paid and left. Real easy.

The best news was when I asked for an estimate on the 600 mile inspection, The owner said that the FD would not need to be serviced again, so the next would be oil, filter and farkles. The accessories that I ordered are not all in, so the fog lights are not on yet. I also am awaiting the lock for the top case, which had to come from der fatherland and then clear customs. I was told that the delay is because they scrutinize lock cylinder orders greatly now due to the potential for vehicle theft needing to re-key locks. When everything is in stock, probably next week, I'll make the next appointment and get it all done at once.

For the record, I did get to see, from a waiting area, the FD service. The rear wheel was removed to refill the FD with fresh gear oil. I didn't see how much he put in. After the service, he gave me the remainder of the engine oil. There was about 150 ml in the bottom of the bottle.

#29 ·
You want to know what makes changing the final drive gear oil so easy?

I get to do it while seated on my shop stool with wheels. :D

Changing the engine oil while flat on the ground is a lot less comfortable.

#31 ·
No, the 200ml must be the total possible volume. The BMW service manual says the refill amount is 180ml (cc).

I did add a touch more to the bottle than 180ml because of the amount that will stick to the walls of the plastic bottle.

So, nothing spills out the fill hole using the amount BMW specifies.

#33 ·
Changed my FD fluid again, while changing the engine oil. The recessed magnet in the FD drain plug had a bit of fuzz on it. When you change your FD I would suggest a Q-Tip to reach in and grab the metal fuzz. Really hard to get it all with a shop towel.

You do indeed have to unbolt the rear tire to get to the FD fill plug. But, all you have to do is roll the tire back a bit to make some room.

Maybe I could have taken more photos, but there should be sufficient at the beginning of this thread.

#36 ·
Here is the gear oil study conclusion chart. I removed price from ranking consideration to arrive at the best performance comparison.

Scoring and Summary of Results
Each gear lubricant was assigned a score for each test result. The gear lube with the best test result was assigned a 1. The
gear lube with the second best result was assigned a 2, and so on. If two or more oils tied, the next best score was ranked
according to the number of oils preceding it. In pass/fail testing, passing gear lubes were given scores of 1. Failing gear
lubes were given scores dependent on the number of gear lubes that passed. For example, of the 14 gear lubes tested, 12
passed the Channel Point Test and received scores of 1. With 12 gear lubes passing, the two failing gear lubes received
scores of 13. In the Solids Precipitation evaluation, differentiation was immeasable in the 12 gear lubes with values of .05
ml. Differentiation was measurable in those gear lubes that scored greater than .05 ml, and they received scores of 13 and
14 respectively. Note that the results of each test have not been weighted to suggest the degree of significance it represents.
The degree of significance is left to the consumer to decide. The results in all categories were added to produce an
overall total for each gear lube. The gear lube with the lowest total demonstrated the best overall performance. Red scores
did not meet either API GL-5 performance requirements or SAE J306 viscosity requirements.

If you want the whole study, send me a PM with an email address.

Attachments

#37 ·
The Service Manual shows Castrol SAF-XO

PRODUCT APPLICATION
Castrol SAF-XO is recommended for the following applications:
• BMW rear axles fitted with conventional (non-limited slip) differentials
• MAN approved for truck and bus rear axles
• ZF approved for commercial vehicle hypoid axles
• Passenger car and commercial vehicle axles that specify API G-L5
and SAE 75W-90, 80W-90 or 90.

• BMW recommend rear axle oils be replaced every two years.
Although Castrol SAF-XO and SAF-XJ are compatible with mineral oils, addition of mineral oil will reduce the performance and protection of both products. Mineral oil should only be added if the recommended Castrol SAF-XO and SAF-XJ Synthetic oil is not available.

About Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 (Formerly SAF-XO 75w-90)
Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 (Formerly SAF-XO 75w-90) is a fully synthetic multigrade final drive lubricant with excellent low temperature performance, load carrying ability and resistance to foaming at high temperatures and sustained high speeds. It also provides exceptional high temperature stability and oxidation resistance.

Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 (Formerly SAF-XO 75w-90) is Castrol's prime recommendation for a full synthetic lubricant for final drives in heavy commercial
vehicles.

#38 ·
Greetings all;

Can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on a copy of the technical manuals for this bike? I did the rear end lube change myself.. pretty easy actually, but filled it using the method which we used for the K1200LT et. al. which was to fill it until it began to spill out of the filler hole. Doing it this way, it took about 400ml or just a bit less than half of one of those expensive bottles of rear end lube. I pinged the dealer for some capacity information to no avail... and the little books which come with the bike are basically useless...

I suspect that I will need to drain the rear again and refill with only 200 ml..

Thanks in advance, Joel

#39 ·
Greetings all;

I suspect that I will need to drain the rear again and refill with only 200 ml..

Thanks in advance, Joel
There are service manual links in the forum. You will have to subscribe to the Euro site to get access. The manual, and this thread, says 180ml.

Below is copied from Service Manual:

Draining oil in bevel gears
Place a suitable tray underneath the bevel gears to catch escaping oil.
Removing oil filler plug, bevel gears
Remove oil filler plug (1) with O-ring (2).
Removing drain plug, bevel gears
Remove drain plug (1) with O-ring (2).
Allow all the oil to drain off.
Filling bevel gears with oil (oil change)
Installing drain plug, bevel gears
Check O-ring (2) for damage; replace if necessary.
BMW-Motorrad

Install drain plug (1) with O-ring (2).
Tightening torques
Drain plug in bevel gears
M12 x 1 20 Nm

Use syringe (No. 34 2 551) to inject the gear oil slowly through the filler neck into the housing.
Technical data
Bevel gears, oil capacity
oil change 180 ml
Fluids and lubricants
Castrol SAF-XO

Installing oil filler plug, bevel gears
Check O-ring (2) for damage; replace if necessary.
Install oil filler plug (1) with O-ring (2).
Tightening torques
Oil filler screw in cover of bevel gears
M12 x 1 20 Nm

#41 ·
Some new photos from todays FD change. (4,630 miles since last changed.)

Instead of wrestling the rear tire, or removing the fender bit, I just roll the tire back. Works fine.

Here is the FD fill plug.

I know some prefer other means of refilling the gear lube, but I really like this hairdresser color bottle. It allows me to slowly feed the gear lube into the final drive. I added 200 ml this time. None overflowed, still a bit of room left inside the FD. The very long spout allows me to extend the tip inside the final drive housing.

Note the skill, holding the bottle just so. Years of practice feeding babies.

#42 ·
A couple of observations RL:

Your bike is too clean after a run to the Ozarks.

I like the tire roll trick. It's easy to remove the rear fender/license plate holder but a bee-otch to get those four Torx screws back in place.

I'm glad you're running with 200ml on the fill. I think somewhere in the middle is appropriate.

Nice bottle pouring technique. Like riding a bicycle.

What did the magnetic drain plug look like and how dark was the fluid you removed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.