Handgun storage? - Page 29 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

It all is related in the American discussion regarding the carrying of firearms while riding.

All other diversions from this topic were instigated by comments from foreigners and Americans wishing to trade liberty away.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
Son of the American Revolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 01:16 PM

I own several guns but rarely carry them anymore.
Contrary to what the pro and anti gun sides would have people believe, most criminals have guns to protect themselves from other criminals. Don't get me wrong, there are rare instances where Joe Citizen would need a gun, but the odds are somewhere around being struck by lightening.
It's a psychological game both sides are using to further their own agendas;
Of all the statistics that are published regarding gun violence, neither side chooses to display how many of the victims (and perpetrators) had prior felonious criminal records. Those statistics are published but never mentioned by either group.
Look it up - Approximately 85% ~ 90% of both victims and perpetrators had a prior criminal record. Only 15% of the US population have a criminal arrest record. So, most of the statistics being tossed around by both sides are being generated by 85% (of the 15%) who have prior criminal arrest records.
post #283 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd View Post
The starting point for me (and where that leads, I still don't know) is that guns are made to hurt or kill people, whether as defender or oppressor.
Rob
I don't know what the people that made my guns intended them for, but I certainly didn't buy any of them to hurt anyone. They are for putting holes in paper, cans, and the occasional piece of meat for my plate. I hope I don't ever have to use one for anything else, but I am not a hand to hand kind of guy. I have seen too many occasions where h2h led to a loss of life. I've never been a loser, and don't want to start now.

Quote:
I'm going to continue watching with great interest how this very important national issue unfolds, as will many other Canadians, since it's really one of those issues that can affect (indeed, does affect) any freedom loving country.
Rob
I don't think anything big is going to unfold in my lifetime.

Quote:
Ken, leave those poor porcupines alone!
Rob
Where did I miss out on a great porcupine story???

post #284 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

My liberty quest extends to the tyranny imposed by The Patriot Act and the NSA 4th Amendment violations. In other words, restore the original intent of The Constitution and Amendments. From Marbury v. Madison, the Supreme Court has thrown citizens under the bus by legislating from the bench. The Legislative branch has delegated it's authority to the executive by allowing regulatory agencies to create and enforce their own "laws". In all, those very few civil liberties remaining need to be preserved, protected and defended.

If fellow Americans wish strict gun prohibitions, then by all means seek these laws within your state. Like Illinois, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, etc..., I will avoid states that don't support liberty.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society

Last edited by RL Lemke; 10-04-2015 at 02:56 PM.
post #285 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM

This frequent reference to Australia gets old - as if living in Australia is great because they solved their gun violence problem through "common sense" gun laws. They did nothing of the sort. Australia had a gun "buy back" program back in 1996 after Port Arthur. Sounds innocent doesn't it? We have gun "but back" programs in the USA - and they're proven to not work.

But Australia confiscated guns - it was mandatory. Door-to-Door confiscation. Do you think that would work in the USA? Are you suggesting something like that be instituted in the USA? Australia confiscated between 650,000 and 1,000,000 guns. In the USA we have approximately 310,000,000 guns. A third to one half of the citizens of the USA own guns. How do you take 60 to 105 million firearms from over 100 million Americans? You don't.

The Australia gun confiscation program would never work in the USA. After Sandy Hook, New York and Connecticut imposed laws on magazine capacity and required registration of certain firearms. Hundreds of thousands of owners of this hardware refused registration (and those states are packed with liberals). Forget about using Australia's mandatory gun confiscation law here in the USA - won't work.

You'd have a CIVIL WAR on your hands if the elected officials in the USA decided to try to confiscate firearms from all the citizens. Last time that was tried (1776) we had a Revolution. We have a Bill of Rights and a Constitution guaranteeing no infringement on our God-given right to own a firearm (among many other rights).

And this should help the reader understand why gun registration laws are also a no-start in the USA. Registration... sounds innocent doesn't it? Registration is the first step in confiscation. The government cannot confiscate until they know who has what. There is no registration in the USA so confiscation is nearly impossible. But with registration comes the information needed to confiscate.

How about background checks for all gun purchases and transfers? Sounds like one of those "common sense" gun laws we all should embrace? Sorry, that innocent sounding procedure would immediately result in a list of transactions which is another way of saying registration. And we know were registration leads.

How about enforcing the law?!? The Brady Bill mandated background checks on gun purchases from firearm dealers. And the Brady Campaign proudly states that their legislation has stopped 2.5 million purchases. Great - but where are the 2.5 million arrests? It's against the law to attempt to purchase a firearm if you're forbidden from doing so. Enforce the law! That's one of the problems. 20,000 gun laws on the books and they want more gun laws. Gang banger has 2 or 3 felony convictions and he's out on the street committing gun crime. That has to stop if we ever wish to reduce gun crime.

And you still aren't taking guns away from the criminals! In fact by disarming the law-abiding citizen you're making it easier for the criminals which explains the next sentence (which to most should not be a surprise) -

Gun crime in Australia has not changed since the mandatory confiscation of guns in 1996. Same with Britain.

The solution is not fewer guns - it's more guns in the hands of good guys along with some method of addressing mental illness. And a return to family values and children raised to respect life but that's asking for too much, or so we're told.

The progressive/liberal mindset screams "do something, anything because then I'll feel better". The critical mindset calmly states: "this is a difficult problem that took a long time to develop. Accept reality and adapt".

Many countries in the world have a problem with mass shootings. And most have restrictive gun laws.

Laws don't apply to criminals!

2013 K1600GT and 2001 Ducati ST4
post #286 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 04:38 PM

"Hi. I'm from the government and I am here to help you. Mentally ill people, jihadists and other people with terrorist agendas are using guns to slaughter innocent children and adults all across our country, in colleges, movie theaters, churches, shopping malls, etc. You will be much safer if I take your gun away from you and all other law abiding citizens, leaving you vulnerable and unable to protect yourself and your loved ones from wanton murder and violence. Please contribute to my re-election campaign."

I predict that the gun control folks are going to have a hard time selling their proposals.
SkipperDan and Charlie Fogg like this.
post #287 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to me that explaining the value of liberty to many is like explaining color to the blind.

Without a foundational grasp of the history of the natural rights American founders held so esteemed, we might as well be discussing Kardashian fashion.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
post #288 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbegos View Post
For all those who carry when riding (like me) do you have any good suggestions on where to store the gun on the bike? Any specialty storage out there?
why don't you just strap a shot gun to your back
post #289 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Because only a few states allow for open carry. Most riders find that a conceal type of handgun is the most appropriate.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
post #290 of 493 Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Apparently, I'm not quite done yet.

An earlier mention was made of Islamophobia.

The Prophet Mohammed established a small caliphate in the Arabian peninsula through violence and warfare. Many Muslims currently view it as their duty to continue with this tradition and extend the caliphate worldwide. Their "operational manual" is the Koran, a book which to them is a sacred text containing endless injunctions to commit jihad against the infidels (keeping in mind that there is another meaning of jihad). Most Muslims are, mercifully, moderates. But when you know a person is a Muslim, a person who believes that the Koran is a holy book, a person who believes that the faithfullness with which they carry out the dictates of the Koran will affect whether he or she goes to heaven or **** for eternity, it's no longer a stretch to think he or she can do anything against the debauched freedom loving infidel that I am.

The point I'm making is that if "Islamophobe" means someone who fears Muslims, well, until I get to know where a Muslim's head is at, being Islamophobic (in the privacy of my own thoughts, not in my actions) doesn't seem that unreasonable. In a sea of "out of control" political correctness, I'm just trying to speak plain English on this topic that is continually tip-toed and obfuscated.

I know this has little to do with our bikes but neither does gun control, ISIS or any of the other topics that were brought up in this crazy digressing thread.

Ken, didn't I tell you to leave those porcupines alone?
Rob
It's dead at the end of the driveway -- my resident pair of marsh hawks ignore it, the hoard of turkey vultures (I have counted a dozen at times) ignore it, the nesting bald eagles (go USA!) at the foot of the hill in the big white pine along the shore of the head pond ignore it, the coyotes, foxes, they ignore it. Who the heck wants a porcupine? Can you eat them?

"This is, by far, the best recipe for porcupine meatballs I have ever had."
(http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/218493/melindas-porcupine-meatballs/)

As for Darryl's question about quills poking in tires, I think the quills will poke in and stick in a tire but there is no fear of piercing through, I have run over them many times on the road, already dead, never got a flat.

I ought to take a picture of the three hemlocks this local family has killed, and post it so you can see the destructive force of these pesky critters. They maybe you will agree they all must die. Death to infidels. Talk to u-u-later.

Ken

2015 GTL-E
The most boring motorcyclist alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page