I've always been a jeans wearer. - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david79chapman View Post
I have lost a pair of Levis but no skin. Full leathers are too hot. Really is a matter of risk management IMO.
Some of the perforated leathers are much cooler. As long as you don't stop moving for any length of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM

At the end of the day, it's not what your wearing, it's how you hit.

I've got a week I don't remember from about 25 years ago. Standard jeans, pair of cheap jogger shoes and a lightweight tracksuit jacket. As I hit the highway at 140kph or nearly 90mph and I landed face first and ground the bottom edge out of the chin bar of my helmet, it made no difference what I was wearing below the neck. A fancy leather jacket wouldn't have stopped the tip of the brake leaver going through my wrist.

Way up the risks of your ride, then do it.
post #13 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Garage
Looks like he counter counter steered after hitting that tar snake.
Hard to tell if the front tire slid, or he jerked the steering hard left when he met the LEO. Probably both.

I haven't heard much from anyone here about wearing the protective underwear that you can wear under jeans. I wonder how those compare to the LD comfort stuff I wear now. Seems like they would be extra warm in the summer.

Anybody here wear Kevlar underwear? Please share.

post #14 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 08:38 PM

Garage
Now these guys are the best trick riders ever.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GI7AxS...yer_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
post #15 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymarlboroman View Post
Looks like he counter counter steered after hitting that tar snake.
Hard to tell if the front tire slid, or he jerked the steering hard left when he met the LEO. Probably both.

I haven't heard much from anyone here about wearing the protective underwear that you can wear under jeans. I wonder how those compare to the LD comfort stuff I wear now. Seems like they would be extra warm in the summer.

Anybody here wear Kevlar underwear? Please share.

Not Kevlar but I do wear Bohn Armor under my jeans. Shin/knee, thighs, hips and tailbone coverage. It will probably wear through if you slide far enough. Between this and my jeans, I find the risk "acceptable". I did "crash" (driver came around a curve in my lane and forced me into the guard rail) at 35 mph. No road rash even though I slid for about 30 yards according to the officer. Was wearing jeans and a Joe Rocket jacket. I still have both as a reminder of that day...and they are still functional.
kotr likes this.

Cliff in Lincoln County NC
2014 K1600GTL Damask Red Metallic
2014 R1200RT (Traded up)
2008 H-D Ultra Classic (Traded for R1200 RT)
2003 H-D Heritage Softtail (Traded for Ultra Classic)
2003 H-D Sportster 1200
2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (crashed)
1975 Honda XL175 (the college days)
post #16 of 40 Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 AM

[QUOTE=david79chapman;1529298]I have lost a pair of Levis but no skin. Full leathers are too hot. Really is a matter of risk management IMO.
Really a matter of risk taking, not risk management. We all take risks when we ride. Some more than others. Riding in jeans or otherwise without the best protective gear is taking a risk that, in a crash, you will not be injured far worse than if you had been wearing the gear at the time of the crash.
firstoff likes this.
post #17 of 40 Old 04-07-2016, 03:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanI View Post
Gross!
Do an army field latrine course, single sheet issue, remember to tear the corner off for cleaning under your fingernail

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1100 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #18 of 40 Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 AM

I have a pair of kevlar lined jeans that I wear. Textile padded jacket, good gloves, boots, and helmet. I always fell like maybe I should step up to some nice padded textile pants for more protection. As other have said some day I may really wish I had them if I end up sliding down the freeway at 60mph.

2015 GTL, 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa, 2003 K1200LT (gone)
post #19 of 40 Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam G View Post
I have a pair of kevlar lined jeans that I wear. Textile padded jacket, good gloves, boots, and helmet. I always fell like maybe I should step up to some nice padded textile pants for more protection. As other have said some day I may really wish I had them if I end up sliding down the freeway at 60mph.
Freudian slip or a typo? fell?
post #20 of 40 Old 04-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david79chapman View Post
Freudian slip or a typo? fell?
Just a typo. Been riding for 30 years and have never been down thank God.
david79chapman likes this.

2015 GTL, 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa, 2003 K1200LT (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page