I've always been a jeans wearer. - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 11-17-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagmanII View Post
Yes, same question here?

I have a pair of the Sliders Kevlar lined pants. They are heavier, and hotter, than jeans but not so bad that I can't stand them. In spring and fall they're great. In the summer I wear Motoport mesh Kevlar.
kotr likes this.

Greg
2012 Mineral Silver K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-17-2016, 04:49 PM

Klim K Fifty 1 Riding Jeans.

John
2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium
2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R (Mountain Bike)
2012 Electra Townie 21 (Cruiser)
2016 Electra Townie 7i Balloon EQ
post #33 of 40 Old 11-17-2016, 07:52 PM

Doc and others, how are the Motoport Air Mesh Street Jeans for walking around in? What about the standard pads that come with them; very much protection? And how hard is it to follow Motoport sizing directions to get a correct fit?

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module

post #34 of 40 Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Garage
Motoport Jeans??

Total Air Mesh Motoport jeans are OK. They have two disadvantages. First, they are not comfortable unless riding. Second the mesh can rub/ damage your seat. The total Motoport stretch jean is Good. Great for summer riding. Prefer the Utlra II Stretch pants with suspenders myself. However, if you want a Great Jean get the Motoport Air Mesh front with the stretch back. Fantastic to walk around & very comfortable. Consider asking for the sipper side pockets & jean back pocket. The no pockets in the back in OK but, will give a bit more feminine appearance. Yes, black is preferred. Sizing following the Motoport directions on line is perfect. Plus, they will fix it for postage if something is incorrect.

Anyway, consider biting the bullet. Send them a comfortable pair of jeans you would use while riding (501, 505, etc), ask for the tri-armor (quad armor is a bit thick- had to send it back), ask to talk to Rob & request the pair of jeans designed for the guy from SC. I believe these jeans are the Air Mesh Street Jean with Stretch in the back & Hip/ Sacrum tri-armor?? Actually, copied most of mine from the Memphomaniac. You will be a happy camper & look great. Best,

Doc:gm:gm

Last edited by garyculb; 11-17-2016 at 09:57 PM.
post #35 of 40 Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

When I sent Motoport my jeans, two separate orders, I received my jeans back with the finished pants.

You are supposed to circle the kneecap with a marker for best sizing. I used washable kids marker, so easy to wash out after the pants were returned.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Mayflower Society
Son of the American Revolution
post #36 of 40 Old 11-17-2016, 11:36 PM

I have more riding gear than I need - I wear dragging jeans or carrhart logger jeans with a double front knees when I wear jeans - otherwise it's aerostitch . In fact, when I did the USA Four Corners ride last year I was wearing those jeans most of the time. 20+ years ago I hit a left turner on my ST1300, regular jeans do shred pretty easy, but I was able to walk away I woke up.

Scott
USA Four Corners Tour Finisher 2015
All gone: R1200RT LC, R1200 GS ADV, K1200 LT, R1150 GS ADV, ST1300s, R100 GSs, R1100 RSs, R100GS/PD
post #37 of 40 Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 AM

post #38 of 40 Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Garage
Jeans

Nice KorduraŽ stretch riding paints (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordura). Really not a jean. For a little bit more you can get 100% Kevlar from Motoport ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar )?? Best,

Doc
post #39 of 40 Old 11-19-2016, 10:45 PM

Garage
Motoport ULTRA II STRETCH pant, MARATHON STRETCH jacket, Daytona boots, Shoei Neotec helmet.
Could not afford any of these but could not afford to keep riding without them.
Like the poet Johnny Cash said, "I got them one piece at a time"
These are great in Utah summers and winters. If there is no ice on the road, I am on the bike.
post #40 of 40 Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 AM
JR3

Here's the deal, and it's a risk vs rewards type deal, and I'm not the first in the thread to allude to it. I see guys riding in shorts and flip flops all the way up to full leathers and all in between. I sometimes opt for kevlar lined jeans, and a Joe Rocket jacket, but more often use one or the other set of my full riding gear...I have a couple of brands, one is mesh, one is not. I know the less gear I wear, the more risk I take. I have a set of leathers I bought for the track. I considered using just my best street gear, as it was "acceptable" with the organization I started track days with, but chose leathers instead. Glad I did...I made use of them and the new helmet my first day on the track. Went down (similar to the guy in the video)...lost the front end in an off camber hairpin. I probably got on the gas too soon...my fault for sure...novice to the track. Luckily it wasn't a faster crash...maybe about 45 when I went down. slammed my head in the pavement, and slid quite a ways across the tarmac, then rolled a bit too as the leathers got "traction". Rang my bell a little...but not badly...and not a scratch or even a 'hot spot' under the leathers...my only pain was in my ribs on the side that hit the tarmac for the next 3 weeks...I'm old, so it took a while. It was soreness...BUT I got up back on the bike, and rode it off the track, and didn't even miss a session that weekend. All my gear worked. I'm not sure the result would have been as painless, or as lacking in injury had I not had on full leathers. Yes, it was on the track, and I didn't impact anything other than the tarmac. The street is different...BUT you can protect against blunt force trauma...more than not at all with chest and back protectors, and of course a good helmet. I retired that brand new helmet after that track day...it hit hard enough to gouge the outer shell. If you get hit by a car, or hit a hard object...chances are...you'll get hurt, but you up your survival the more gear you wear. And yes, the more gear you wear, the more it impacts your basic riding enjoyment. So...weigh your options and risks...go ride and be safe.
Gunnert and garyculb like this.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page