I've always been a jeans wearer. - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I've always been a jeans wearer.

And like people who smoke, I may ignore the facts. But watch this video. I have it starting where you can see the riders lower left leg. Note his pants after the crash.

https://youtu.be/CHFUI1tyC8k?t=1m27s

2014 - 1600GT - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2012 - FLTRU - Ember Red Sunglo (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:29 AM

The German Motorrad magazin tested biker jeans recently.
Cheap biker jeans failed on the connection parts first (seam etc.). High quality (and usually expensive) biker jeans had similar protection as textile gear for bikes - surprisingly good.
They also tested jeans with standard denim, without the special material and protectors. Result was terrible.
No surprise that standard jeans may look good, but are not safe to protect us in case of an accident or even relatively harmless drops.

Current: 2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive 2012 Silver BMW C650 GT
History: HD Ultra Classic CVO, HD Heritage Softail, Honda 1100 ACE, Honda Spacy 125, Suzuki XT 125, Puch Maxi
Our most frequent mistake is to believe that others think the same as we do.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=but are not safe to protect us in case of an accident or even relatively harmless drops.[/QUOTE]

I experienced this first hand back when I first started riding. Lack of experience at the time and I 'had to drop it' at 30 miles per hour. My jeans ripped like my finger poking a hole thru toilet tissue. AGATT for me now.

Don't start slamming me for 'had to tip it over' As I said lack of experience as I was a new rider at the time. Now I know better

One more question, should you actually poke your finger thru the toilet tissue, do you smell your finger ?

post #4 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:42 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IanI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush21122 View Post
One more question, should you actually poke your finger thru the toilet tissue, do you smell your finger ?
Gross!
rush21122 likes this.

Eccentric and proud
post #5 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 AM

That video was shot on a stretch of Mulholland Hwy known as "the snake". It's notorious for eating motorcycles anyway. I've ridden in hundreds of times. Most of the guys that rip up through there are in full leathers.
As for this guy, and his jeans, I think he fared pretty well. Just had a few scratches. I'm NOT saying it's better to ride in jeans, just saying that they held off a little road rash.

BTW.. just after that turn is a big "look out" area where you can just hang out and watch guys rip through there. Cops are usually there too however it's so twisty, it's difficult to exceed the 45 mph (if I remember right.. not like I ever paid attention to it) speed limit.

map
http://binged.it/1UIr84Q
post #6 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanI View Post
Gross!
Ture but humorous to this minion
IanI likes this.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
That video was shot on a stretch of Mulholland Hwy known as "the snake". It's notorious for eating motorcycles anyway. I've ridden in hundreds of times. Most of the guys that rip up through there are in full leathers.
As for this guy, and his jeans, I think he fared pretty well. Just had a few scratches. I'm NOT saying it's better to ride in jeans, just saying that they held off a little road rash.

BTW.. just after that turn is a big "look out" area where you can just hang out and watch guys rip through there. Cops are usually there too however it's so twisty, it's difficult to exceed the 45 mph (if I remember right.. not like I ever paid attention to it) speed limit.

map
Maps
I follow the Youtube channel for the videographer. I've watched a bunch of these videos, including bonehead auto drivers as well. It definitely looks challenging.

2014 - 1600GT - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2012 - FLTRU - Ember Red Sunglo (gone)
post #8 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

I have lost a pair of Levis but no skin. Full leathers are too hot. Really is a matter of risk management IMO.
post #9 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 03:57 PM

It's your skin...
kotr likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module
post #10 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM

Garage
Jeans

I were Jeans when I ride but, they have KEVLAR LINERS ( Sliders Pants, Sliders Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans, Sliders Kevlar Pants, Kevlar Riding Pants , Defender Motorcycle Jean- Blue - Diamond GussetDiamond Gusset ). A little bit heaver than reg jeans & much safer. For aggressive riding it is protective gear or throttle back. Best,

Doc:gm:gm
kotr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page