A real pain in the neck/shoulder ! - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 10-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Tur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebob View Post
I have the exact same pain. Ordered Ryan Risers.
I'll report is they solve my issue.
Did they solve your issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 10-06-2016, 03:35 AM

I just ordered some also for the shoulder-blade pain issue.

Will report back
post #23 of 25 Old 10-06-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tur View Post
Did they solve your issue?
They did indeed!
I measured after installing one side. The 3/4 inch riser, raises the handle bars by.... Wait for it.... 3/4 an inch. However, I found the pull back was a full 2 inches. I noticed a difference immediately. Way more comfortable and did not effect handling. The pain in my shoulder/neck was gone and hasn't returned.
I highly recommend them.
jryan19 likes this.

Bob

post #24 of 25 Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM

I'm going to add a different dimension to this thread and say that your long distance comfort on any bike depends as much on your physical conditioning as the ergos and wind protection of the bike. Sure, you need a bike that fits you but the most important thing to realize is that riding a motorcycle hundreds of miles is an athletic activity that requires proper conditioning. From that premise, I'll say that a lot of people chose a riding position that puts them in a more relaxed vs athletic body position on the bike. Bar backs and relaxing more back onto your tailbone might feel good sitting on the bike or tootling around town but over a several hundred mile day you'd be better off in a position more like the GT affords (or even a bit more aggressive) with a more forward lean engaging your core muscles assuming your core has some strength and flexibility.

I'm going to guess that there's a lot of us that are in the 50+ age group where that core conditioning and flexibility is hard to maintain but if you did, you'd be a lot more satisfied with your seat, windscreen, and overall ergos of your bike.

Lastly, there's one other factor that I think is equally significant in a several hundred mile ride and that is protecting your hearing. The more noise you're hearing, the greater your mental and even physical fatigue. You'll be tense and just beaten down by the constant higher volume noise than if you used a great in-ear noise attenuation system. I think that contributes more to neck, shoulder, and back pain than a lot of people think.
JoeP likes this.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (for the off-road ADVs)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
post #25 of 25 Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 AM

Garage
I had the same pain when I had my ST1300. The K1600GT remedied that pain. Maybe the riding position is different, I'm not sure. Now the only pain I get is the thought of a thinner wallet.

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page