A real pain in the neck/shoulder ! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

A real pain in the neck/shoulder !

Went out for a 3 hour ride last Friday , after about an hour I could feel my left shoulder then neck getting quite stiff and painful, did my usual hen pecking rotation to ease, help a little but I remember an earlier post of other people getting this strange affect because of the handlebar/ seat arrangement.
Is this still a problem for any of the respected members and what's the concensous for a fix ?.
When I finally returned home, uncomfortable to the point of taking a few ibuprofen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM

Sorry to hear of your discomfort. I'm not sure I qualify as one of the "respected" members but I'll offer up a thought, nonetheless. Could the cause of neck and shoulder pain be the result of back pressure due to the windshield being raised to its highest level? I had this problem until I cut a hole in my shield. Others have solved the back pressure issue with the purchase of various after-market windshields.

2016 K1600GTL Ocean Blue Metallic Matte
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► “When life throws you a curve... lean into it!” ~ Anonymous
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I hadn't considered the screen and associated back pressure, I did encounter some heavy rain and lowered the screen for more wind blast to clear my visor, in thinking about it, it did ease the issue which I put down to my stretching, appreciated observation and I will Change and assess how it responds.
Thanks Vandaldog.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 05:01 PM

I had the same pain as you are describing. For me it was the reach to the bars that caused my pain. I went to the pullback risers and my pain is gone. Many forum members found the same help with the risers. See pictures of the risers at the bottom part of my signature.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Garage
Bar backs stopped my back pain................
Tinman likes this.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

16 R1200 GSA
15 GTL
17 CVO Limited
post #6 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 PM

Someone mentioned once they installed two sets of risers but now I cant find him. Anyone have any info about that, like longer bolts or any modifications necessary of any kind.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 05:05 AM

Jryan19's bar risers did the trick for me. Another way to go if you have a GT is to switch to the GTL bars. The grips on them are closer together and a shorter reach. I tried this solution on an earlier GT. I went with JRyan19's bars on my '15 GT. Both solutions work, but I like that the bar grips remain further apart in Jryan19's solution. The wider bars clear my tank bag and provide better ergonomics, for me.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 06:45 AM

I have a similar problem on my GTL (and also on my previous Triumph Trophy). I get aches each side of my shoulder blades. It must have something to do with the bars. In my case they need to bee more forward. I know this because I have no problems with my Blackbird and that has a racing shape. The bars must be putting my back into an uncomfortable position.

2013 K1600GTL - 'Pegasus'
Wunderlicht oil cooler and side covers
Slip screen tall screen
RCU Accessory Shelf, SupabrakeII
post #9 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 06:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizbill View Post
Someone mentioned once they installed two sets of risers but now I cant find him. Anyone have any info about that, like longer bolts or any modifications necessary of any kind.
I was one of those.
Installing two sets is easy.
Install the first set on the bars, then the second set goes onto the first set or vice versa. Sorry, it is early here.
I did have to get different bolts for the second set; if the correct length is not used, they will bottom out in the holes. I bought new bolts and cut them to the length I needed. I think that I also had to modify the heads of the bolts a little so that they would fit below flush with the countersunk holes in the risers. Was really easy, but care must be taken to get the length just right.

You do have to do a little minor/major modification to the body work.
I cut out about a 3/8 to 1/2" hole in an arc in the middle tank cover so that the top riser did not rub on it. I duct taped the bottom of the arc just to seal it from water running down the hole.
It is easy marking the arc for the cut. Just install the double risers, turn the handlebars back and forth a couple of times, and a scratch in the form of an arc will magically appear on the body panel. Then drill about ten holes, and grind or file the arc out smooth.
I bought an extra gas tank panel, in case I ever put it back to stock.
So far, no one, even the dealer, has noticed the cut out in the panel.
If you do this and need help, just PM me with a number and I'll talk you through it.
arizbill likes this.

Thanks for all you do,
Darryl
RETIRED!

14 BMW K1600GTL DGM
07 HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
Thinning out the herd.
81 CB750 Bent forks (son) $500
81 CB900 10speed 100HP Original $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Trike Frankenstein Trike $12K
67 Camaro 454 4sp Gray Primer $10K
07 335i Black Sedan
Coffin trailers: 1 regular size, 1 shorty. $1K ea
Two full size coffins, free for pickup. Steel.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 AM

I have the exact same pain. Ordered Ryan Risers.
I'll report is they solve my issue.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page