Shifting technique - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM
C 4

Garage
I don't think it fully disengages at 3 mm but allows it to separate power just enough to shift. Much like power shifting or driving a big diesel, Rev match and the gears mesh. This doesn't have much of a flywheel to keep the revs up. It drops very quick if you close the throttle. I only close the throttle a very small amount for shifts to keep the revs up.
ZipSilver likes this.

Tim C
2016 K1600 GTL
Matte Ocean Blue
2013 K1600 GTL (gone)
Damask Red

"Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?"

Custom built side case protection/tipover bars
Get yours now, Ask me how!
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...over-bars.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro View Post
A bit late for that call.
I was making a dumb joke. Sorry. All of the suggestions so far will change the way you perceive the shifting. I personally use a tiny bit of preload and shift at around 3500 minimum when possible. The shifter preloading can be a lightning short amount of time before the actual shift. I truly find the shifter can be snick-snick-snick smooth after you get used to it. I have an R1200R WC with shift assist (I know...different animal altogether) and while it's great, I absolutely can upshift as well as it can in the upper gears and better in the lower three gears. It may be better in 2017. IDK. Downshifting is pretty spectacular on it though. Different animal anyway. I hope you do find a way to love the K16 though. It is a Grand Prix level ride experience when you and she grow to understand each other.

2015 R1200R - 2016 K1600GT
post #13 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Not a HD rider, but yes I am indeed pulling the clutch all the way in. But if you would be so kind to explain this to me mechanically, if the clutch disengages at say 3mm, why would there be the clunk if I pull in more? There should be virtually no mechanical connection post 3mm of pull. So as per my understanding, it should not matter if the clutch lever is pulled in more or not.
The engine drops rpm during slow shifting so rapidly that it will create a large speed difference between the crankshaft and main shaft of the gear box Flicking the clutch for a few mil avoids that and combined with preloading the shifter slightly make for a fast and almost non-audible shift. I have days when I am perfect in all gears and rpms and there are other days when I just cruise slow and easy and forget about the shifting technique. Be slow, be loud. (Goes nicely for Harley riders..............)

If you develop the right feel for it, you don't need no stinking clutch at all for very fast and quiet upshifting. I do that very often.......
notinla and Marc11 like this.

'You know that the world is going to h$ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
1967 HD FL Police

post #14 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 06:41 AM
JR3

As stated by many...the bike shifts best by only slight clutching, and slightly coming off the throttle,, and in fact, if you do as described with the upward pressure preload, you don't "need" the clutch at all to up shift, nor do you need the "quick shifter". You only have to roll off the throttle enough to come out of acceleration to do this. If you preload the shifter, once you come off the throttle slightly, it will shift right up smoothly even with no clutch.

That said, I have the GSA on my new S1000R, and it is sweet. Wish I had waited one more year to get the GSA Pro, as they added to the 17 Single R. I have experienced the GSA Pro on the S1000RR and it is even nicer being able to downshift without clutching and exact rev matching.

Yes, this is a feature that should be added to the K1600!

Jim
post #15 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR3 View Post
As stated by many...the bike shifts best by only slight clutching, and slightly coming off the throttle,, and in fact, if you do as described with the upward pressure preload, you don't "need" the clutch at all to up shift, nor do you need the "quick shifter". You only have to roll off the throttle enough to come out of acceleration to do this. If you preload the shifter, once you come off the throttle slightly, it will shift right up smoothly even with no clutch.

That said, I have the GSA on my new S1000R, and it is sweet. Wish I had waited one more year to get the GSA Pro, as they added to the 17 Single R. I have experienced the GSA Pro on the S1000RR and it is even nicer being able to downshift without clutching and exact rev matching.

Yes, this is a feature that should be added to the K1600!
It is on the '17 I think.

2015 R1200R - 2016 K1600GT
post #16 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 08:57 AM

Installed the quick shifter and immediately noticed the improvement. Not a difficult job and well worth the money.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
New K1600 rider here. I notice that the gear box is very clunky. Although it does not have trouble shifting, it is very noisy. Is this normal?

Also, I notice that the rpm falls very quickly when pulling in the clutch. I have still not got the technique to catch the needle on its way down when up-shifting. The rev-matching also needs more work. How important is to rev match on the K1600 gear box?

Thanks
Subhro

To answer the question on the transmission being clunky from a noise standpoint being normal or not it does appear to be normal. I've owned three of these bikes and put a lot of miles on a fourth. It does not sound clunky to my ear but it is something others note so there must be truth to it.

As far as rev matching goes you certainly don't need to do it on the downshift as the bike will have the slipper clutch. On the upshift some of the suggestions noted about preloading the shifter or other noted techniques have helped many. I do think just riding the beast for a few thousand miles will make it your new normal. I never have thought about doing anything intentionally when shifting these bikes and expect and hope the same happens for you with a little time.

If the feel becomes an issue for you the short throw shift linkage noted in this thread seems to be a simple and relatively easy install that has been a hit for not too much money. For more discussion on the topic see this thread: Short Throw Shift Linkage. Because so many rave about this modification and the cost is not high I consider this for myself. I've not ended up doing this because I just don't have any issues with the shifting that came from the factory so I'll probably save the money for something else I just can't live without.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM

I just ordered the short throw kit. WTH it's a week's Starbucks money for some people.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM

I have changed my shifter to a short throw of 20 mm stroke and it is not as clunky .Before the change I could preload the lever or rev match for a smooth shift about 90 percent of the time . The short shifter is described in a thread ( a different short shifter ) . The cost to make the change in money and time was well worth the end results .
post #20 of 21 Old 10-23-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
The engine drops rpm during slow shifting so rapidly that it will create a large speed difference between the crankshaft and main shaft of the gear box Flicking the clutch for a few mil avoids that and combined with preloading the shifter slightly make for a fast and almost non-audible shift. I have days when I am perfect in all gears and rpms and there are other days when I just cruise slow and easy and forget about the shifting technique. Be slow, be loud. (Goes nicely for Harley riders..............)

If you develop the right feel for it, you don't need no stinking clutch at all for very fast and quiet upshifting. I do that very often.......
This. It takes a few miles to get the technique but once done the bike shifts super smooth and super quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page