Shifting technique - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Shifting technique

New K1600 rider here. I notice that the gear box is very clunky. Although it does not have trouble shifting, it is very noisy. Is this normal?

Also, I notice that the rpm falls very quickly when pulling in the clutch. I have still not got the technique to catch the needle on its way down when up-shifting. The rev-matching also needs more work. How important is to rev match on the K1600 gear box?

Thanks
Subhro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 03:49 AM

Garage
Oh boy, use the search function `gearbox`and you get more opinions than you can handle. Speedshifting by preloading the shifter and just flicking the clutch does it for me. Be slow and be loud......................
DanDiver, jkoval, notinla and 2 others like this.

'You know that the world is going to h$ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
1967 HD FL Police

post #3 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 08:01 AM

From first to second, "Preload" is the answer. Just a little pressure on the shifter before the change. From there on up keep the RPMs above 3500 and it will be as smooth as can be. 4,000 is ideal. Neutral to 1 or 2 is a clunk !
ResQU and Rusty6 like this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida

post #4 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 09:42 AM

I got the quick shifter that is on this forum and don't even think about preload, blipping, flicking or anything else, any more. With that, it shifts like it should out of the box.

It's only $150 (pretty cheap farkle for this bike) and is the best money I have spent on this motorcycle. Just get it. You won't be sorry.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM

I second what stanlholmes said! It is well worth the $150
post #6 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlholmes View Post
I got the quick shifter that is on this forum and don't even think about preload, blipping, flicking or anything else, any more. With that, it shifts like it should out of the box.
I got into the habit of preloading before I got the short shift, so I've just continued to do it.
ResQU likes this.

Cliff in Lincoln County NC
2014 K1600GTL Damask Red Metallic
2014 R1200RT (Traded up)
2008 H-D Ultra Classic (Traded for R1200 RT)
2003 H-D Heritage Softtail (Traded for Ultra Classic)
2003 H-D Sportster 1200
2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (crashed)
1975 Honda XL175 (the college days)
post #7 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 07:20 PM

I find it clunky from neutral at a stop sometimes.

Those coming from Harley's need to relearn shifting if that's all you're used to. As you know the clutch pull is way lighter on the K. You only need the slightest tug to disengage the clutch for shifting. It's almost just a thought (I'm thinking about shifting, apply very slight pressure on the clutch lever (1-3 mm pull, yes 1-3 mm, that's it) and shift). Smooth as silk when you get it right- very rewarding. You never need to pull the clutch lever all the way in as you did on your Harley.

I just re-read your post. If you're not coming from a Harley then please disregard all that stuff- don't know why I thought you said that. The slight pull is all you need. There is some noise but not sure what you're hearing.

Last edited by NCRider; 10-19-2016 at 07:24 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 PM

You could just buy a 2017 with shift assist!

2015 R1200R - 2016 K1600GT
post #9 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinla View Post
You could just buy a 2017 with shift assist!
A bit late for that call.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
I find it clunky from neutral at a stop sometimes.

Those coming from Harley's need to relearn shifting if that's all you're used to. As you know the clutch pull is way lighter on the K. You only need the slightest tug to disengage the clutch for shifting. It's almost just a thought (I'm thinking about shifting, apply very slight pressure on the clutch lever (1-3 mm pull, yes 1-3 mm, that's it) and shift). Smooth as silk when you get it right- very rewarding. You never need to pull the clutch lever all the way in as you did on your Harley.

I just re-read your post. If you're not coming from a Harley then please disregard all that stuff- don't know why I thought you said that. The slight pull is all you need. There is some noise but not sure what you're hearing.
Not a HD rider, but yes I am indeed pulling the clutch all the way in. But if you would be so kind to explain this to me mechanically, if the clutch disengages at say 3mm, why would there be the clunk if I pull in more? There should be virtually no mechanical connection post 3mm of pull. So as per my understanding, it should not matter if the clutch lever is pulled in more or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page