CLASS with Reg Pridmore (at VIR) - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chop96
  • 1 Post By notinla

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up CLASS with Reg Pridmore (at VIR)

It's taken me a couple of weeks to sit down and write this, but on 17/18 Oct, I attended Reg Pridmore's CLASS session at Virginia International Raceway. For those that aren't familiar with it, it's a riding school, not a track day or racing school. From his website, "Reg Pridmore and his team focus on teaching you how to become a smoother, safer and more confident rider" (www.classrides.com) - and they do exactly that. Being active duty military, I've got access to tons of motorcycle training and in just the last year, have taken the MSF ARC and Total Control Level I, but the two days at VIR with Reg helped me to advance my skills much more than in any other class.

The one-on-one instruction on the track, being in the classroom with Reg, lots of time on VIR's amazing facility to work on and refine those skills, and things really started to click by the end of the first day. I kept working on everything throughout day #2 and even though I was pretty tired by mid afternoon, I was able to keep doing things right - and I had an instructor go with me for a session to make sure the techniques were solid even when exhausted.

In all, we did 8 sessions on Day 1 and 9 on Day 2 for a total of over 300 miles in those two days. At VIR, they use the "North Course" - a challenging mix of hairpins, esses, a tight chicane, a challenging downhill section, and to top it off a dogleg right in the middle of the front straight.

I mounted a camera in the oil cooler opening and have video of each of the sessions and mounted a GoPro on the rear rack to capture body position. It helped immensely in being able to critique my lines, turn-in points, and bike position on the track and also actually see how I moved my body on the bike to make sure I was making the changes suggested by Reg's team.

How did the K1600 do? It did GREAT! I started the course on a virginal set of Dunlop Q3s (trailered the bike there), had it in Dynamic/Road the whole time. I started with ESA set at rider+bags, but got the recommendation from one of the instructors to change ESA to 2-up to "raise the rear end" (Stuart Beatson, the service manager at Morton's and also a championship racer) - and it helped a TON. Granted I was REALLY working to get off the bike, but I surely wasn't going easy and only ever scraped a peg once. Oh, and for those that fear AltRider bars touching down, I never got close - and again - the big K was hustling around the track.

If anyone is either on the fence about attending one of Reg's sessions or thinks "I don't need to go to a track" - this school is about learning how to truly control YOUR bike. Reg and his team just want to see you learn and improve and kept saying "it's not about speed; it's about being a better rider." Even with access to LOTS of non-cost training, Reg's CLASS sessions are worth every penny and I'm definitely going back!

I've got video of every session and here's a link to just about two laps worth:

Here's some pictures:
The track map for VIR's North Course

Turns 5 and 6 at VIR... this facility really is amazing with an almost perfect surface and lots of run-off area should things go a bit awry

Halfway through turn 1

Turn 3

One-on-one instruction from Stuart - in Turn 4 (one of the hardest turns to get right)

Turn 5

Turn 7 - uphill blind right-hander

A really happy and well-used rear Dunlop Q3 with just over 300 miles on it. :gm
amorley likes this.

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R

Last edited by Chop96; 11-06-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 03:37 PM

Excellent! That roasted rear tire tells me both you and the K had a great time!
kotr likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 03:39 PM

Greg, great write up! I'll echo being on a track is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle! And the learning curve is tremendous..

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module

post #4 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 PM
JR3

I did the California SB School at VIR back in August! New surface, great track as you described. You got some balls to put the K bike on the track like that! I really want to, but just not sure I got the balls to risk smashing it.

And I'm curious about th Q3s on the K16. I wasn't aware they were rated for that weight bike. They are great tires on the sport bikes! Looks like you used them nicely. What pressure did you run on the track with them?

Jim
post #5 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 06:19 PM

I've done Reg Pridmore CLASS events at VIR, K1600GT with Q3s. I've also ran Q3s on the street 2-up. BY FAR, the best dry weather tire you can put on your bike. Just don't expect any mileage out of them...

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars/CalSci/Wilbers/ VarioLevers/ CDbaneAmber/SW Motech Hawk LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/Booster Plug/Volo Module

Last edited by Gunnert; 11-06-2016 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 08:26 PM
JR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
I've done Reg Pridmore CLASS events at VIR, K1600GT with Q3s. I've also ran Q3s on the street 2-up. BY FAR, the best dry weather tire you can put on your bike. Just don't expect any mileage out of them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSyiTwIE9k

Duane
I loved them on the K1200S. Very sticky and handle well. Going to put them on my S1000R soon. I may give them a try on the K1600 too. Thanks!.

Jim
post #7 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR3 View Post
I did the California SB School at VIR back in August! New surface, great track as you described. You got some balls to put the K bike on the track like that! I really want to, but just not sure I got the balls to risk smashing it.

And I'm curious about th Q3s on the K16. I wasn't aware they were rated for that weight bike. They are great tires on the sport bikes! Looks like you used them nicely. What pressure did you run on the track with them?
Jim - I'd love to do CSS - have a friend that's done all four levels. I'll probably do at least levels 1 and 2 a some point.

Believe me - I started moderately (especially because those Q3's had zero miles) and concentrated more on the corners than speed on the straights. I didn't shift into 5th on the front straight (but wound out 4th!) and didn't go past the rev limiter in 3rd on the back straight. By the 3rd session I was starting to get after it a bit and with the grip of those Q3s (GREAT feel) felt more and more confident. I re-defined my 9/10ths in the corners, and am practicing every day I'm on the bike.

The Q3's are great on the K16! I never felt any of the squirm I felt with the POS Metzelers, and they felt even more planted than Angel GTs. They grip, grip, and then grip some more - I can honestly say that after the first few laps when they were brand new, I didn't even think about the tires. On the track I was running 34 front, 36 rear (what Reg said to run for that tire on that bike).

I've still got the Q3s on the bike to wear em out and they still feel great. I'm running the same pressures I run my Angel GTs (38/39) and they're wearing pretty well on my lovely slab commute - I've put another ~1000 miles on them since VIR and looks like there's another ~1000ish on them. I won't buy them for day to day riding, but I'm going to put the Q3s on every time I go to the track. :gm

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R
post #8 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 AM
JR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop96 View Post
Jim - I'd love to do CSS - have a friend that's done all four levels. I'll probably do at least levels 1 and 2 a some point.

Believe me - I started moderately (especially because those Q3's had zero miles) and concentrated more on the corners than speed on the straights. I didn't shift into 5th on the front straight (but wound out 4th!) and didn't go past the rev limiter in 3rd on the back straight. By the 3rd session I was starting to get after it a bit and with the grip of those Q3s (GREAT feel) felt more and more confident. I re-defined my 9/10ths in the corners, and am practicing every day I'm on the bike.

The Q3's are great on the K16! I never felt any of the squirm I felt with the POS Metzelers, and they felt even more planted than Angel GTs. They grip, grip, and then grip some more - I can honestly say that after the first few laps when they were brand new, I didn't even think about the tires. On the track I was running 34 front, 36 rear (what Reg said to run for that tire on that bike).

I've still got the Q3s on the bike to wear em out and they still feel great. I'm running the same pressures I run my Angel GTs (38/39) and they're wearing pretty well on my lovely slab commute - I've put another ~1000 miles on them since VIR and looks like there's another ~1000ish on them. I won't buy them for day to day riding, but I'm going to put the Q3s on every time I go to the track. :gm
The CSS is great. I did Levels 1 & 2, and just signed up to do 3 & 4 here in Birmingham in May. Can't say it's any better or not from CLASS. I've heard CLASS is great from you, and Doc, and Duane, so it's got to be good too.

I recently switched from the Michelin PR4 to the Angel GTs and loved the Angel GTs in the corners, so I'll be interested to try the Q3s on the big bike and see. I know they're sticky!

Glad you had a good time...VIR is a cool track. Like I said too, I wish I had the balls to get my K16 out there...maybe I will. I probably would have but on my first track day this past summer I had the front end get away from me on the little Honda CBR600RR I bought and wrecked it. I got right back up on it and rode it and didn't feel a bit bad about the scrapes on it...it would kill me to tear up the K16.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page