Heel/Toe shifter - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
» Forum Search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Default Heel/Toe shifter

First post here, been lurking and learning while my GTL is being made.
I have seen lots of after market info sites for various products but as yet, I cannot find any reference to a Heel/Toe shift kit. Being an old HD guy, I am spoiled by them and the floor boards. I have no trouble with the normal pegs but would really like to find a sourse for the H/T kit.
Any info would be appreciated......Thanks in advance.

PS: This is one fantastic resourse for information. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I will continue to observe & learn.
Stay Vertical (unless you get lucky... )

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
First post here, been lurking and learning while my GTL is being made.
I have seen lots of after market info sites for various products but as yet, I cannot find any reference to a Heel/Toe shift kit. Being an old HD guy, I am spoiled by them and the floor boards. I have no trouble with the normal pegs but would really like to find a sourse for the H/T kit.
Any info would be appreciated......Thanks in advance.

PS: This is one fantastic resourse for information. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I will continue to observe & learn.
Stay Vertical (unless you get lucky... )

Mark
I doubt you'll see a heel/toe shifter on this bike, in part because there's not much market for it (BMW riders just have never got into them), and in part because it will be a pita to design because the pivot point of the shifter is *behind* the footpeg plate, with only a narrow slot for the lever to exit from behind the plate -- getting back around the plate with a heel lever, with the right position/leverage, would be a bit of an engineering nightmare -- an opportunity for Rube Goldberg to excel, but that's about it. Sorry!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

I never used the heal on my hd's. too much work lifting my foot up off the floorboard. It would be interesting to see if anyone comes up with one.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

Its funny what different people get to like after riding different bikes. On every Harley I have ridden I have HATED the heel shiftier. With size 14 feet I could not find a comfortable spot for my feet. There are several heel shifters in the bush on different highways off of some bikes I have owned over the years !!!!
I did find out that the reason they were installed on Harleys is that when a lot of Police Forces used Harleys the idea was that the riders could shift gears without ruining the polish on the toe of their boots. A neat idea at the time.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

I loved mine on my 71 bonnie, but that trans had to be jammed into gear, especially when racing.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #6

I expected more feedback than this but I guess most are used to the single toe shifter. Still, searching aftermarket sites seem to reveal little info also.
Guess if I want one, I will have to custom machine it.
Also, I have noticed about as many negitive comments about the K1600GT/L's lately.
After reading so many problematic events these last few months, It has given me some severe 'buyers remourse pangs'. Still have about 2 months to go until my bike is supposed to arrive (educated guesstimate). The only thing keeping me hanging on is the fond rememberance of my test ride. The machine preforms like magic but I'm really worried about all the reported bugs.
My toe is definately in the water but I'm hesitant to go swimming.
Somebody help me stay focused!!!!! I need some incouragement....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #7

Get the bike, Ride it & it WILL be LOVE
Gene
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Also, I have noticed about as many negitive comments about the K1600GT/L's lately.
After reading so many problematic events these last few months, It has given me some severe 'buyers remourse pangs'. Still have about 2 months to go until my bike is supposed to arrive (educated guesstimate). The only thing keeping me hanging on is the fond rememberance of my test ride. The machine preforms like magic but I'm really worried about all the reported bugs.
I guess more people like me need to speak up... i have 5400 miles on mine since i got it mid-july. Rock solid, velvet smooth - no problems with anything. IPOD cable is a little touch - but it turns out that putting the music on an 8GB USB ROCKS - i like it even more than the IPOD. This is the first non HD i have ever ridden - i was terrified at first that i made a mistake - i might one day own an HD, but it will never be the ONE bike that i own. Today, this is the ONE bike that i own.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

I had a Heel Toe on my 06 GL1800 Liked it.. Just got my GTL 1600 and have put over 200 on it last two days.. Don't miss it.. Love the ergo of the toe shift.. Fast responsive.. Easy.. Plus the bike sits me where I would not want the HT shifter its a much more proactive rider stance than the Wing.. the wing kinda glides down the road.. the GTL attacks the road as if it did something wrong..
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
I expected more feedback than this but I guess most are used to the single toe shifter. Still, searching aftermarket sites seem to reveal little info also.
Guess if I want one, I will have to custom machine it.
Gyro, I have had the GTL for about three months now and love it. Yes, there can be a couple of issues but having come from an Ultra Classic there is no comparison. Harley is a totally different animal. I am sure you will appreciate the smoothness and the performance. I do miss the floorboards but I always removed the heel shifter on all my harleys. Get the bike and enjoy. If you ever find the floorboards by all means let us know. I am sure they will appear in a year or so when more bikes get out there.
SL55 AMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement