BMW K1600 Forum banner

Michelin Launch PR4

27K views 91 replies 38 participants last post by  Riderman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Not a lot of detail there on the difference between the Standard and GT tire. Interesting that they're shipping the new RT with the PR4 tires though.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Interesting.. I have a fairly fresh set of pr3b's on the k16 now so I'm not in the market for a bit. I'm sure there will be plent of post about millage and handling before I need to swap out. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for posting

#9 ·
Press Release:

Michelin has once again pushed the limits of braking. On wet surfaces, the new tyre’s braking distance is shorter than that of its main competitors.

In 2014 Michelin will bring to market an all-new range of motorcycle tyres, available in three versions: the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail.

Intended for road use only, these tyres cover most categories of road motorcycles of more than 600cc.They were designed to deliver maximum safety in the most common conditions of use, especially on wet roads and in particular when braking.

Michelin will also be the tyre supplier for the new BMW R 1200 RT with the GT version of its new tyre. The fact that BMW has selected the Pilot Road 4 for this bike – the bestselling bike in its category – reflects the level of performance it provides.

In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 delivers enhanced safety in all situations and extended tyre life. They are a tangible illustration of Michelin’s Total Performance strategy of constantly and simultaneously improving tyre performance characteristics across the board.

With the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres, the aim is to enable as many motorcyclists as possible to experience safe riding in nearly all conditions.

#17 ·
Bob's BMW is checking their suppliers but presently do not show the PR4 as an option for ordering. I'm just about due for my 18,000 mile service, the recall update, and a set of tires and assuming I can get the tires in the next month or so I'll be scheduling my maintenance visit when the tires come in.

#18 ·
Call me an old fashioned 45yr old, but the PR2's are hard to beat for longevity. I still may try out a set of 4's this spring, being they are supposedly +20% increase in life, maybe they will equal the Long-Life-King; PR2!

#19 ·
I just heard back from Bob's and their supplier is saying "Jan '14 availability." I'll probably wait and try to get the new tires since I'm not riding that much in the next month anyway.

I've never used the PR2s but would say, based upon my experience, that the PR3s are dang near magical. For context, I used up the OEM Bridgestones in 3,100 miles. I used up 1st set of PR3s used mainly in twisty road rides in about 6,000 miles. My last set of PR3s took me for a 7,100 mile lap of the USA with some good twisty work thrown in here and there and brought me back home with plenty of tread left. A tire that'll last that long on this torque monster running high speed touring and perform like it does in the wet and dry cornering is pretty darn amazing. And Michelin says the PR4 GT tires are better in every respect. What I don't know yet is how much they'll cost.

#20 ·
This comes from the Michelin rep at Ocean City Bike Show last year.

PR2's compound is slightly harder than that of the PR3's, the 3's being slightly softer feature a better wet weather traction. The trade off for the better wet weather traction is less longevity. Hence why they still make and proudly sell both and are big sellers in each there own right.

PR2 = longevity
PR3 = better wet weather grip
PR4 = 20% more longevity than the PR3 (I'm thinking 'hopefully' as good as the PR2 but with the wet grip of the 3's)

#21 ·
Thanks for that comparison! I'm not a LD rider that needs the longest mileage and I've even toyed with the idea of putting Pilot Powers on my K1600 for the best grip in the twisties. I'm a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde rider where I'm normally riding the snot out of it like a sport bike but also take at least one big touring trip a year. I was worried that I was going to have to swap tires in the middle of my trip this past year. I've worn out PR3s in less mileage than I rode and was concerned that the high speed straight line riding for thousands of miles would roast the middles of the Michelins. The punch line - if I can get 7 or 8 thou of touring miles out of a tire that has the grip of the PR3 or better I'm a happy camper.

#22 ·
..and by viewing your camping thread... You are a Happy Camper! :)

I ride with a bunch of spirited (mostly FJR) riders. They believe in removing those chicken strips in style (with some aggressive twisty moutain-ess routes). The PR2's hold up the best for a mix of this and straight up touring or point A to B stuff. The 3's have been cupping and tread irregularity shows up right after all the additional sniping slits that the 3's have. After talking to the Michelin rep, this is because of the siping and softer compound needed for the additional wet traction that the 3 features.

An easy understanding of this was his comparison to Indy Car or Formula-1 racing, when wet tires (heavily siped and compound change) are substituted, they simply wear a lot faster than the normal compound/non siped tires BUT you have the traction needed.

So... I'm really interested in seeing if the PR4's can replicate the PR2's longevity and have the added wet traction that the 3's provide. I'm not being anal, just changing tires seems to come up very quickly, the slower I can make this happen, the "happier of a camper I will be!"

#23 ·
I just had a set of PR4 GTs mounted today. I played for a couple hundred miles and so far, so good. I think I like them better than the 3s, I had to change my line in mid corner on a good curve to dodge a pot hole and there was no issue, it was fun.

#25 ·
George at BUA got them for me. He used to work at Morton's and opened his own repair shop out near Manassas. Great guy, excellent wrench. I told him I was going to be needing tires, and a week before Christmas he told me he had scored a set of PR4 GTs for me.

Lots going on right now with my Mom and Christmas down here, so this was the first I could break free and run over to get them mounted.

I like George and the ride to Morton's has become evil as well. It is nice to have a place to go that involves some twisty back roads and no I95 traffic.

Link to George's site: Beemers Uber Alles - Motorcycle Service and Repair Washington DC Northern Virginia

#28 ·
Funny. I read all kind of news items announcing the PR4 in January 2014. When I check the site of Michelin in The Netherlands, they don't even mention the PR4. The K1600 is still not listed as a bike you can choose tires for. In fact, the PR3 is still listed as "new" :confused:.

#29 ·
It's the same here - the Michelin site does not list them. If you go to the Revzilla site they are not listed but if you search for Pilot Road 4 you can see that they are available for order there. I personally like supporting Bob's BMW with my business and they've been great to me but they're not the snappiest at getting the latest and greatest of whatever in stock. In this case, I'm trying to line up my next service visit for the recall, the big service visit, and the tires and the Bob's parts folks are working on getting a set for me.

Phil, glad to hear that your initial reaction is a positive one.

#34 ·
Hot Texas sun is a good method to warm the tire. Winter installs might require an electric blanket set on high.

Note how motorcycle race teams use a special heated blanket to warm tires for better traction before each race.

A hot tire install is oh so much easier than a cold tire install.

Yes, the steel in the bead still has to be pulled over the edge of the rim. Having a more pliable rubber makes that even easier.

#35 ·
A Few years ago I did a friends tires outside in mid 30 degree weather.
He rode the bike about 50 miles to meet up with me so the tires on the bike were warm. When he got to me I put the new tires in my truck & turned the heater on high to warm them. By the time I got both wheels off the bike the new tires were ready. I put the front wheel & tire in the truck to keep it warm & changed the rear tire. I put it back on the bike then did the front. Doing it this way made it very easy to work with the tires in the cold.

#39 ·
I have a set of 4's going on my new GTS in 32 days... (watching the countdown app on my Galaxy-S4 with abated breath ;) (waiting does suck but most of us already know this)
So Excited to upgrade, then "clean-look" refarkle, BUT, not so excited for the bank account.

Back on subject- PR2's still rule for longevity, very interested if the 4 will be equal but still have the added wet weather traction of the 3 :)

BTW- I ride 42/f 44/r (via handheld digital meter)
I also found PSI/maintenance very important in the longevity dept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.