BMW K1600 Forum banner

I still hate Z8 tires . . .

18K views 76 replies 51 participants last post by  smcgaug 
#1 · (Edited)
Walked up to the back of the bike today with the intention of doing a few hundred miles on some local back roads, and saw this:

4,877 miles on the factory tires, and there were three separate areas like that, all showing bits of metal. :eek:

I had the same thing happen to two Z6 tires on my K12GT, and to the Z8 on my '12 GTL. Even with regular checking (I knew it was getting close), there's just no way to tell when it's gonna go . . .

When the tire does get down to the metal bits showing, there's very little thickness left. I estimate maybe 1/16" at most. I'm tempted to cut the tire open and measure it to see.

Fortunately, I had a spare rear tire in the garage that I'd pulled off a previous bike. Half an hour and $15 at the local no-name tire shop, and I'm good to go, with a fresh reminder of why I hate Metzeler tires . . .

See less See more
#3 ·
I understand why someone would leave these POS tires on their bike when they arrive OEM installed. But why anyone would put them back on the bike and spend their own money on them is baffling.

Interesting that the Michelin PR3/4 tires have been discovered by the S1000RR gang and are being mounted up by some in an attempt to get better mileage. No one there is complaining about less traction for street riding either.

#6 ·
I understand why someone would leave these POS tires on their bike when they arrive OEM installed. But why anyone would put them back on the bike and spend their own money on them is baffling.
My K12GT came with Z6's, which went from "looks fine" to "oh shït, cords!" in one tank of gas. That was replaced by another Z6, as it was the only tire available at the local BMW shop I found in the middle of my trip (thanks to Ozzie's BMW in Chico, who called in their tire guy on a day the shop was closed to get me back on the road). That second tire did the same, and I've never bought one since.

My '12 GTL and now my '13 GTL both did the same thing with their factory-mounted Z8 tires, even with regular checking. No more Metzelers for me, thanks . . .

#5 ·
I was excited by the new PR4GTs, but they left me wanting. They were toast after 7000 miles...about what I got from three previous sets of Z8s.

Knowing that that cords show almost at the same time as the 'hard to see, but clearly there' wear indicators, I've regained confidence in the Z8s. They are a fine tire except that they wear quickly (had one set that was done after less than 5000 miles). You watch the wear indicators, when they are flat with the tread, you know that cords aren't far behind....when I say, not far behind, I mean 'about one tank of gas' and you'll see cords.

#9 ·
Ken, I feel your pain with the OEM Metz. I don't know why they insist on putting such crap on a new bike. After several Michelins (all with no complaint other than seasonal availability) I tried the Z-8 interacts. It is a much better tire than the OEM Z-8. At 6,000 miles now on my current M and O spec Z-8 s, the wear is reasonable and there are wear bars, albeit faint.

With the amount of riding you do though, I can see where this really is a gross irritation. Guess I can see where your "dark side" tendencies pay off :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I am in the 4800 mile club with my first and only set of Z8's. Same issue, all of a sudden the bars are showing. But I gotta say, they were pretty grippy and I did like them. Just wish I could get 6k out of them and not be surprised when the cord starts showing through.

Meese, did you cut the tire and see the thickness (or lack there of) ? I am curious, maybe post a pic?

#14 ·
This thread makes me feel less embarrassed. Two weekends ago on a trip my OEM Z8 went from OK to cords on the Saturday....at exactly 9000km. I did not consider that I would be an "aggressive" rider with my tire wear, but I guess I am. The Spokane dealership got me in at 3pm on a Saturday so at least the weekend wasn't ruined, just one day. Of course, odds being what they are, guess what tire they had in stock? So now I am BACK on one of those cursed things! Still, beggars cant be choosers and I was very happy to get tread back under the bike! It is strange that I potentially have to change tires more often than I change OIL! How long do the fronts last?

#19 ·
This thread makes me feel less embarrassed. Two weekends ago on a trip my OEM Z8 went from OK to cord ...

... How long do the fronts last?
I have no idea. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm only averaging 6 to 8k a year (I know, I know ... that's a breakfast run for Meese), but I always replace my tires as a pair.

Primarily because, to me, the balanced feel of new skins far outweighs the $ savings of trying to maximize life on the front ...

And, since I don't have the changing equipment myself, I just knock 'em out at the same time and get it over with

#16 ·
3500 on my OEM Z8's and still plenty of life left, unless like everyone else and they go south in a hurry.

#21 ·
I've been through two sets of Z-8 Interacts ("C" rear) on my GTL (I always replace front and rear at same time). Averaged 8,000 miles per set - always changed just prior to or upon reaching wear bars. Currently, installed tires are Z-8 Interacts - "M" front and "O" rear. If I don't get more mileage out of these - will go back to "C" spec rear tire.

#22 ·
My new K16GT came with Z8s, thought they were fine, surprisingly good in the wet (given the lack of grooves) nice handling and reasonable wear, changed them at 6,500 miles, prior to our second European tour. The rear wasn't shot but wouldn't have lasted another 2,500 miles. Fitted PR3s which felt much smoother, more feel from the front end, the bike leant over much easier and quicker, but the rear was close to shot @4,800 miles. Fitted a pair of PR4GTs a few weeks ago before a trip to Slovenia. I'm struggling to get on with them, I just don't feel as confident with the bike leant over, it seems to squirm at the rear and doesn't feel as planted as either the PR3s or the Z8s. I don't think I'll fit them again and may go back to Z8s.

Ride 2 up 90% of the time, with two fully loaded trips to the alps a year, drag my boots quite often but haven't grounded the pegs yet.

#23 ·
My bike, a new Exclusive has 4,100 miles on the odo and the Z8 rear is flattened a bit, but under normal circumstances I would think it still has a coupe thousand miles left. We got 6k out of our first Z8 on our old '12 GTL, and then it "suddenly" looked like Meese's picture while on the road on Colorado. The replacement PR3 lasted 8k miles, so it isn't my riding style.

So here's the question: my bike is now at Bob's for three warranty/recall repairs, waiting on parts. Am I crazy not to call and have them do new PR4's at the same time since it is already there?

#27 ·
Being the OEM tire, I guess the Z8's were fine for me as I am just back into riding after being off for a few years. It has taken a while to get comfortable in the saddle again and tune my technique. At 5800 miles, with the beast just getting used to having me on its back, the Z8's started showing cord. Switched to PR4's. Now I don't consider myself an aggressive rider and never have been. I am enthralled by the folks who regularly drag pegs as I have never done this. Now after 100 miles on the PR4's, I'm dragging a foot with impunity. New territory for me. Can the pegs be far behind? Not that this is a goal, just a way of saying that these tires let me expand my envelope with the confidence I did not have in the Z8s.

Bottom line.... I love these tires. They let me be a better rider.

#34 ·
You guys are scaring me on the OEM Z8's! :eek:

I'm thinking of swapping them out during winter......not worth the risk keeping them the way it sounds.
Sounds like the Metzler ME88 horror stories on GoldWing.

So, which of the below would normally provide longer tire life?
o Michelin PR4 GT
o Pirelli Angel GT

#35 ·
You guys are scaring me on the OEM Z8's! :eek:
You don't need to be scared, but you should be aware that the Z8 tires often let go without much warning, even for those who check them religiously on every ride.

As this site has continuously shown, changing out the Z8 tires early is prudent. The only question is what mileage is considered "early"?

#38 ·
I got 7700 miles out of my OEM 8's, and currently 8300 on PR3's with likely at least another 1000 on them. I'm not overly aggressive, but do push on occasion. Road conditions are pretty decent up here too, temperatures are not what they are down south, and local speed limit is 50, although I tend to ride between 60 and 65 mph. I think all these conditions help with tire longevity. I'd much rather be down south closer to great roads and changing out tires every few weeks though.

#39 ·
The z8s are one of the best tyres I have ever used.

They just shouldn't be on a bike this heavy.

They were sick on my CBR600.

#40 ·
Well I guess I must be the only K16GT owner who was quite happy to change the OEM Z8 Interacts for the same tyre. These are the best wet weather tyres I've had on any bike and I've had a few. OK my rear tyre was squared off at just short of 4000 miles and it was looking worn and I changed them both. Tyre wear is the price you pay for running a big heavy bike with lots of performance and in my opinion, the price of a new set of Z8s is a price worth paying for the security in all weathers these tyres give me

#41 ·
Yeah, wet weather the Z8s are gold. Agree. Only tyre i'd have instead is Pilot Road 4 GTs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.