LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 PM

Sidestand in gear?
Erickwb likes this.

Glen
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 01-03-2017, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Ken. You've certainly given me something to look for.
It definitely looks like the battery has dropped a cell. Reads a full 13.4v, but cannot take any load.
As for the Sat Nav, having purchased the Navigator IV (designed for the bike) this unit is I believe the first one to have been fitted to the cradle. Everything behind the cover and faceplate looked literally brand new.
The GPS sensed the bike shutting down and automatically went to its own battery backup prior to shutting down completely. Not sure if there could still be a trickle drain, but one would imagine that while that may cause the battery to go flat, it would not cause it to drop a cell.
That leaves the jump start issue... can't do anything until I get a new battery. The old one is less than any ear old (9 months) so it should be under warranty. On top of that, living in a regional area and being still in the silly season, the exact battery is nowhere to be found locally. This forces me to wait until next week when my mechanic is back from holidays.

I will post the outcome, watch this space.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Glen...
No, that is always the obvious first.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
40 amps on one test.
On the second rest (different machine) I don't even think it made it that far.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
Do you have a trickle charger even a simple one like the Battery Tender brand? While you are waiting for your mechanic to get back you could try putting the battery on that charger for a few days or until the green light comes on steady then give the bike another start up try.
I have tried 2 different chargers but both show a full charge (13.4v) and won't trickle after that.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 AM

Garage
I'm no expert but it sure does sound like a fuse was blown.

Has anyone ever successfully jump started a k16?

Rich

2016 K1600GTL Exclusive
post #17 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO View Post
I'm no expert but it sure does sound like a fuse was blown.

Has anyone ever successfully jump started a k16?

I have jumpstarted my cousins 15 gtl with an antigravity microstart with no issues but have not from a car. Did it at the battery terminals. If anyone jumps from the terminals, a fuse should never blow.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM

I was going to ask what the temperature was there... you ARE in Australia... The switch cluster (starter switch) problems are legendary on those early years - whenever the ambient temp went over 90. Happened with me a few times - a bag of ice on the right switch cluster for 10 mins would right it. They recalled and went old school on the switch design eventually - replaced under warranty.

Along the lines of the battery - i read a great review in 2015 done in the IBA Magazine about battery load testers. I've seen so many guys stranded on the road because a seemingly "good battery" suddenly died - wouldn't take the necessary load apparently. I bought this tester based on that review - and in deed dumped my first battery while it still seemed good - because the tester was failing it. Yet my awesome optimate deep cycle battery charger/tender/tester said it was in fine shape.

https://www.amazon.com/BA7-100-1200-...ry+load+tester

I've decided that if i'm gonna take x-country rides - PM's are cheaper than getting stranded... now i just have to decide at what mileage to i want them to replace my final drive - even though it seems just fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page